Author Topic: Jon Heyman:Phillies have asked nationals about OF Michael Morse  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Coladar

Right.  I've never understood the "don't trade in your division" stigma.  It seems stupid to me when a trade is presumed to be relatively equal exchange of consideration.

Exactly. Should you then intentionally not make a trade that improves your team? That makes no sense. And as others have already stated, the exact opposite of your statement applies and cancels itself out. If we should never trade within the division because of a negative effect to our team, then the team we are trading to shouldn't do so either for same negative effect, and renders itself moot.

If you are going to get a steal of a deal, it doesn't matter who you are trading with. You make the trade, period. The only time I might alter this opinion if it involves your FotF, a Pujols or Zimmerman type. I don't think any trade another team might make is worth it then. Because they aren't going to make a deal so one-sided as to be ridiculous. And then you have to deal with losing the face of the team, your star player, to a team that is a rival, that the fan base despises, and watch that player in your hated rivals uniform 18 games a year. I think we all can agree that under almost any conceivable circumstance, you don't trade franchise players to division rivals. Michael Morse isn't a franchise star, so it's another moot point. The only three I'd label as such would be Zimmerman, Harper and Strasburg, and those three ain't getting traded to no one.