Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 49499 times)

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Online UMDNats

• 2018 nationals

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #1003: June 20, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
I hate to think that we're the most intelligent life form in the universe.
You think Rizzo can find bullpen help on one of them?

:lol:

Online GburgNatsFan

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1005: June 20, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »
Just what we need. An excuse to completely eff up the one we're on.

Super-Earth 5 to Earth Prime:  "Refugees welcome"

I'll go put myself in time-out now :bag:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1006: September 15, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »
Cassini, the satellite circling Saturn, was running out of fuel so they ran it into the planet today.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/15/550709214/cassinis-saturn-mission-goes-out-in-a-blaze-of-glory

Controllers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory sent a final command Friday morning to the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn. Not long after, accounting for the vast distance the message traveled, the order was received, putting the craft into a suicidal swan dive in which it plummeted into the ringed planet's atmosphere.

Flight Director Julie Webster called "loss of signal" at about 7:55 a.m. ET, followed by Project Manager Earl Maize announcing "end of mission" as the spacecraft began to break up in Saturn's atmosphere.

"Congratulations to you all," Maize announced to applause. "It's been an incredible mission, incredible spacecraft, and you're all an incredible team."

With Cassini running on empty and no gas station for about a billion miles, NASA decided to go out Thelma & Louise-style. But rather than careen into a canyon, the plucky probe took a final plunge into the object of its obsession.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #1007: September 16, 2017, 06:07:16 AM »
Cassini, the satellite circling Saturn, was running out of fuel so they ran it into the planet today.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/15/550709214/cassinis-saturn-mission-goes-out-in-a-blaze-of-glory

So we've now attacked two other planets in our system. Sigh..  :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1008: September 16, 2017, 11:16:27 AM »
So we've now attacked two other planets in our system. Sigh..  :)
nuke Saturn after we culturally appropriated the planet for a car and cycling team in the '90s.  But Saturn just says "pfff" to our puny nukes.

Actually, what NASA was saying is they did not want to run the risk of contaminating with man-made material either Titan or the moon with water by an uncontrolled crash.  literally I'm guessing this is less than a drop in the bucket compared to Saturn's size.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1009: September 18, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
nuke Saturn after we culturally appropriated the planet for a car and cycling team in the '90s.  But Saturn just says "pfff" to our puny nukes.

Actually, what NASA was saying is they did not want to run the risk of contaminating with man-made material either Titan or the moon with water by an uncontrolled crash.  literally I'm guessing this is less than a drop in the bucket compared to Saturn's size.

Yeah, the idea was if we find life elsewhere in the solar system we want to make sure we didn't bring it ourselves.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1010: September 18, 2017, 09:56:58 PM »
My company is starting a guest speaker series whereby each quarter we bring in someone who is inspirational in a scientific arena.  First is fo, rmer astronaut Cady Coleman, who has a chemistry degree from MIT, PhD from U of Mass in polymer science and engineering, and has spent more than 6 months in the space station.  She's a flutist and played a duet with Ian Anderson while aloft.    :shock:

She only has 1 UFO sighting however, you'd think all that time in space she'd see a lot more than 1. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Coleman

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #1011: September 18, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »
My company is starting a guest speaker series whereby each quarter we bring in someone who is inspirational in a scientific arena.  First is fo, rmer astronaut Cady Coleman, who has a chemistry degree from MIT, PhD from U of Mass in polymer science and engineering, and has spent more than 6 months in the space station.  She's a flutist and played a duet with Ian Anderson while aloft.    :shock:

She only has 1 UFO sighting however, you'd think all that time in space she'd see a lot more than 1. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Coleman

Was mitlen unavailable?   :shrug:

Offline imref

« Reply #1012: September 18, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »

Online mitlen

« Reply #1013: September 19, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
Was mitlen unavailable?   :shrug:

I volunteered but I may be on a mission.    I was an "astronaut" in the 70s.     Possibly some of the 80s as well but I can't remember.

Online mitlen

« Reply #1014: September 19, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »

Man, I could create a stir with a comment on that "argument from ignorance" piece.

Offline imref

« Reply #1015: September 19, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »
Man, I could create a stir with a comment on that "argument from ignorance" piece.

that's the politics thread, right? :)

Online mitlen

« Reply #1016: September 19, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
that's the politics thread, right? :)

No, but politics will work.     :)    I really enjoy listening to him.     Never fails  ...   gets me thinking.

Offline imref

« Reply #1017: September 19, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
No, but politics will work.     :)    I really enjoy listening to him.     Never fails  ...   gets me thinking.

Do you listen to his podcast (Startalk)?  It's definitely worth your time.

He'd make a heck of a President.

Online mitlen

« Reply #1018: September 19, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
Do you listen to his podcast (Startalk)?  It's definitely worth your time.

He'd make a heck of a President.

Ummmmmm, I've never done/heard a podcast.      :couch:     Tyson makes me think about stuff that's interesting to me but I seldom explore without a stimulus.     Like Hawking exceptt his (SH) stuff can give me a headache.    :)

Offline imref

« Reply #1019: September 19, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
Ummmmmm, I've never done/heard a podcast.      :couch:     Tyson makes me think about stuff that's interesting to me but I seldom explore without a stimulus.     Like Hawking but his (SH) stuff can give me a headache.    :)

you can listen on-line via their web site:  https://www.startalkradio.net

Or if you have an apple phone, subscribe via the podcast app.  Startalk is pretty light-hearted, usually his co-host is a comedian.  Bill Nye is a frequent guest, and guest host.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #1020: September 19, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
Or if you have an apple phone...

mitlen has owned apples and phones...occasionally at the same time...

Offline imref

« Reply #1021: September 19, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »
mitlen has owned apples and phones...occasionally at the same time...

:hysterical:

Online Natsinpwc

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1023: November 10, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
Orbital Sciences putting up a big payload tomorrow out of Wallops, should be visible at about 7:38 am if any of you geezers are up already.

http://www.space.com/38748-rocket-launch-visible-from-us-east-coast-saturday.html?utm_source=notification

Offline imref

« Reply #1024: December 11, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »