Author Topic: Disputed Rumor: Soriano rejects $70 million deal  (Read 4957 times)

Offline PC

Disputed Rumor: Soriano rejects $70 million deal
« Topic Start: October 12, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
Washington says outfielder turns down five-year contract offer

The Associated Press

October 12, 2006, 1:37 PM EDT

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Alfonso Soriano has rejected a $70 million, five-year contract offer from the Washington Nationals, diminishing any chance the perennial All-Star will stay with the club.

"It's almost impossible this great player will stay on our payroll," Nationals special assistant Jose Rijo told the newspaper Listin Diario in Thursday editions.

The Dominican slugger is coming off the best season of his career, becoming the first 40-40-40 player (homers-steals-doubles) in major league history.

"Everyone is more than interested in having a player like Soriano, but finances are keeping this from happening," Rijo said.

Copyright ? 2006, The Associated Press

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-nats1012,0,7015730.story?coll=bal-sports-more

Offline PC

« Reply #1: October 12, 2006, 02:26:01 PM »
If this is true, does he think someone's going to offer him more than $14 million a season?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2: October 12, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
Apparently so........

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: October 12, 2006, 02:42:31 PM »
That makes me mad at him.  But then again, who cares.  Let him he bought off by some club with gobs of money to waste.  I'd much rather see that $14m a year spent on a new rotation.  Personally I think he's a fool for turning down an offer like that.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #4: October 12, 2006, 02:49:03 PM »
Is there any consideration on his part for a desire to play for a winning team next season?

Offline PC

« Reply #5: October 12, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »
I'm waiting for this story to be picked up by the Post before it can be considered not a rumor.  The Baltimore Sun is notorious for posting dubiously sourced stories about Washington sports teams.

And, at this time, it's not on the Post's site.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: October 12, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »
Assuming this is true.  Is that going to be the Nats final offer?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #7: October 12, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
The article mentions that Jose Rijo is the contact and is from the A.P.  Perhaps the Post followed up the report from the A.P. and Rijo then clammed up?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #8: October 12, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »
Looks like he is gone for good.  Everyone is reporting the story now.
http://sportsline.com/mlb/story/9723454

Offline PC

« Reply #9: October 12, 2006, 03:35:19 PM »
Quote from: "sportsfan882"
Looks like he is gone for good.  Everyone is reporting the story now.
http://sportsline.com/mlb/story/9723454

Actually, the Sun was the first media outlet to post it.  Everyone else is just following the Sun and I don't trust the Baltimore Sun.

And it's still not at the Post site.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: October 12, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »
Quote from: "soxfan59"
Is there any consideration on his part for a desire to play for a winning team next season?

I'll answer your question with a question: Do you think that's what it's really about for him?  Or is that just a convenient excuse for him not to look like an a-hole?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #11: October 12, 2006, 03:42:28 PM »
It sounds like he got a price from the Nationals and now will shop that around MLB.  Since only Hank Aaron and a juiced-up Barry Bonds ever achieved 40 homers and 40 steals (thanks in part to mismanaging the Nationals lineup), I'm not surprised he thinks he's worth more than $14 mil/year.  If he's only offered $15 or $16 mil by others, I also wouldn't be surprised if he signed with Washington, unless it's from a playoff team.  

These 19 MLB players had 2006 contracts for $14 million or more per year. 5 are Yankees, so teams may now want a great pitcher instead of an expensive bat.  Do you think Soriano is worth more than any of these guys?  That's what GMs now have to ask themselves.

Top 50 salaries, 2006
No.   Player/Team   Salary

1.   Alex Rodriguez, NYY   $25,680,727
2.   Rogers Clemens, HOU    $22,000,000
3.   Derek Jeter, NYY   $20,600,000
4.   Jason Giambi, NYY   $20,428,571
5.   Barry Bonds, SF   $20,000,000
6.   Jeff Bagwell, HOU    $19,369,019
7.   Mike Mussina, NYY   $19,000,000
8.   Manny Ramirez, BOS   $18,279,238
9.   Todd Helton, COL   $16,600,000
10.   Andy Pettitte, HOU   $16,428,416
11.   Magglio Ordonez, DET   $16,200,000
12.   Randy Johnson, NYY   $15,661,427
13.   Chan Ho Park, SD   $15,333,679
14.   Pedro Martinez, NYM   $14,875,000
15.   Lance Berkman, HOU   $14,500,000
16.   Mike Hampton, ATL   $14,475,185
17.   Jim Thome, CHW   $14,166,667
18.   Bartolo Colon, ANA   $14,000,000
18.   Albert Pujols, STL   $14,000,000
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/salaries/top50

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #12: October 12, 2006, 03:44:05 PM »
I really hope he is in the NL next year....I want to boo him at RFK!!!!

But he's just doing what any athelete should; cashing in when he can.....Thanks for the memories Alfonso.....Well, we still have Zimm to look forward to in 2007

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #13: October 12, 2006, 03:52:44 PM »
Quote from: "PC"
Actually, the Sun was the first media outlet to post it.  Everyone else is just following the Sun and I don't trust the Baltimore Sun.

Actually....It's the A.P.'s story and not the Sun's story.  Look at the by-line.

If you ask me, he's not gone for good, this is an initial offer that will set the tone for negotiations.  He wanted $15 mil minimum.  Of course the Nats are going to undercut that, it's part of negotiating.  I don't think the is the Nats final offer; we'll just have to keep checking in.  I'm sure the MLBPA won't want him to take the first offer he gets from the Nats anyway.....We're in for a long off-season.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14: October 12, 2006, 04:00:01 PM »
I hope that crap about the Lerners not negotiating (like that article said) isnt true

Hard line crap doesnt work well with baseball players who have hit the jackpot and are playing with house money

Offline PC

« Reply #15: October 12, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »
Quote from: "Minty Fresh"
Quote from: "PC"

Actually....It's the A.P.'s story and not the Sun's story.  Look at the by-line.

Actually, I'm basing my lack of trust on another AP article posted at the Sun. Last week, the Sun had a story about the Redskins that read that Al Saunders was upset that Clinton Portis took himself out in the 4th quarter of the Redskins-Texans game.  That AP story on the Sun's site and only on the Sun's site.  No other media source picked it up, not the Post or Times, not Comcast, not any of the local stations.

I don't trust the Baltimore Sun even with an AP byline.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: October 12, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »
Whatever, later Alfonso.
Bowden should've traded him for something. Hopefully, though, we get those 2 1st round picks.

« Reply #17: October 12, 2006, 04:31:03 PM »
I am so ready and itching to tear into His Majesty....

But I will withhold further comments until this story becomes more solidfied.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #18: October 12, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"

His Majesty? :?:

« Reply #19: October 12, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »

That's His ROYAL Majesty to you.  :wink:

To make a long story short:  I think he is a hustling, arrogant, prim madonna.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: October 12, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »

That's His ROYAL Majesty to you.  :wink:

To make a long story short:  I think he is a hustling, arrogant, prim madonna.

But really though, arn't most professional athletes?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #21: October 12, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »
hate to say I told you so.   :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #22: October 12, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »
WARNING!!!
The following news article has activiated the

Soriano Says He Wants to Stay In D.C.

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 6, 2006; E05

With half a season under his belt and the trade deadline less than three weeks away, Alfonso Soriano has a new take on his stint with the Washington Nationals: He wants to stay.

"I feel very good here, better than I expected," Soriano said in an interview yesterday. "I feel much better. I don't want to leave. I want to stay here and build something from this group that we have here. I think it's a very nice group. I feel more comfortable. I don't want to go to another place."

Soriano's statements came three days after he was voted to the National League all-star team as an outfielder by both the players and the fans. That was a significant development in his adjustment from second base, where he played since he came to the majors in 1999.

"Now, I'm on the all-star team, and that makes me feel like I can play the position," Soriano said.

When the Nationals were in the process of persuading Soriano to switch to left field in spring training, they made him a five-year, $50 million offer to stay in Washington. Soriano declined, at least in part because he was unsure he could play the outfield -- or if he wanted to.

Now, he understands that he might be dealt before the July 31 trade deadline. But he said that even if the Nationals held onto him, he would give the club every opportunity to re-sign him when he became a free agent at season's end.

"If they don't do nothing now, in three months, they would be the first team that I want to come to because I feel comfortable here," Soriano said. "We have a young team. You have a new owner. In two years, we have a new stadium here. There's a lot of good things happening here. I hope they think about this."

Incoming Nationals president Stan Kasten is set to rebuild largely through trades and the minor leagues. Neither Kasten nor General Manager Jim Bowden responded to inquiries about Soriano's comments last night.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #23: October 12, 2006, 05:32:17 PM »
Playoff contenders who see Soriano as the missing link, and can afford him, are the most likely suitors.  Looking at the Top 19 Salaries above, the Yankees have 5 and the Astros have 4 on the list.  No other team has more than one mega-bucks player.  The Phillies traded the one they had.  Minnesota and Toronto only averaged 28,000 in attendance, and Oakland had 24,000, so I don't think they can afford him.  

The Los Angeles Dodgers, who averaged 46,000 in attendance are really the only contender lacking a mega-bucks player, who can afford him.  But they don't really have a sore spot that Soriano fills.  His .125 slump at the end of the season, his weak clutch hitting and low RBIs, and the possibility of injury or declining stats when he's 35, are all factors that may limit his value.  He might be an enticing upgrade to them, but with the Dominican Republic on the east coast, they might have to offer him $17 mill/year to leave Washington.  I don't think L.A. would pay him that much for 5 years.

The public statement by Jose Rijo may be a ploy to encourage season ticket sales, to retain players.  The Nationals offer now forces other teams to offer more money than Soriano may be worth to them.

« Reply #24: October 12, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
hate to say I told you so.   :lol:

I'm holding off on saying that until the day he is at the press conference, all smiling, and holding up the jersey of his new team.  Then I will say that.  But it seems the bomb is getting closer and closer to dropping.
(No pun intended, North Korea)
 :wink: