Author Topic: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11  (Read 13467 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11
« Reply #75: February 17, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
Matt - Santarpio's is always a good choice.  I have not been there in about 25 years since I moved away.  When I was growing up, the best used to be The European, but they closed I think when it was discovered they were tapping another building's electricity.  Angelos in Stoneham is terrific, too.  Thanks for not saying Upper Crust. 

BTW - when you get a call up, try Cafe Pizzaiolo in Crystal City.  It's near the Sports Pub on 23d.

You need to broaden your horizons :razz:

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #76: February 17, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »
Matt - Santarpio's is always a good choice.  I have not been there in about 25 years since I moved away.  When I was growing up, the best used to be The European, but they closed I think when it was discovered they were tapping another building's electricity.  Pinos used to be my once a week place.  Angelos in Stoneham is terrific, too.  Ever been to Pepe's in New Haven?

Thanks for not saying Upper Crust. 

BTW - when you get a call up, try Cafe Pizzaiolo in Crystal City.  It's near the Sports Pub on 23d.

I wish I had known you when I lived in CT. I liked Modern in New Haven better than Pepe's. Better service, great pizza, and drinks that were bigger than a sippy cup.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: February 17, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »

I wish I had known you when I lived in CT. I liked Modern in New Haven better than Pepe's. Better service, great pizza, and drinks that were bigger than a sippy cup.
Modern has been the "it" place for about a decade, right?  It wins The Advocate's polls.  Truth be told, I have not been back to Pepe's maybe since 2001.  When I first lived down here before '98, I used to time my trips north so I would hit Pepe's at 11:30 on Friday when it opened and put down a mushroon, pepper, and onion with grated cheese (no mozzarella).  When I moved back here in 2003, I shifted my lunch stop to York street.  Old stomping grounds.  That's probably why I have not tried Modern.  I did not have a connection to the place.

And as for Pizzaoilos, try it.  Seriously.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #78: February 17, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
Modern has been the "it" place for about a decade, right?  It wins The Advocate's polls.  Truth be told, I have not been back to Pepe's maybe since 2001.  When I first lived down here before '98, I used to time my trips north so I would hit Pepe's at 11:30 on Friday when it opened and put down a mushroon, pepper, and onion with grated cheese (no mozzarella).  When I moved back here in 2003, I shifted my lunch stop to York street.  Old stomping grounds.  That's probably why I have not tried Modern.  I did not have a connection to the place.

And as for Pizzaoilos, try it.  Seriously.

Modern has been the place since 2002. We moved to Bama in 2008, but luckily for me I have a pizza guy from Chicopee (via Italy/Turkey) and also a guy from Bethel, CT who is on the national pizza team and has won international awards in town now. I don't lack great pizza, but just not exactly New Haven style.