Author Topic: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11  (Read 12129 times)

Offline deldiamondbb

Re: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat IN PROGRESS
« Reply #50: February 16, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
they come in your size? (hooter uniforms)

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #51: February 16, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
Through your career I am sure you have encountered many players that are from other countries.  How difficult can it be to communicate with players that do not speak the same language?  Any players you have become particularly close to that were not originally from the US?

I've actually become very good friends with a lot of guys from around the world. I took Spanish classes throughout high school and college so I was able to communicate a little bit with a lot of the Latin players. Playing 2nd base, most of my SS partners speak spanish, so it is really important that we can communicate with each other a good amount. I've really enjoyed trying to continue to learn Spanish.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #52: February 16, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
they come in your size?

Unfortunately I don't fit very well into a woman's medium. Not comfortable.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #53: February 16, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
Matt, you've been known as a guy with great plate discipline, having an insane walks per strikeout ratio in college during your sophomore year I believe. Is plate discipline something that just comes naturally, or something you've made an effort to work on?

Do you think an effort on plate discipline is something lacking in baseball today, with players focusing on getting that monster blast instead of working the count? We've seen more and more players creeping up to 200 Ks a season, not the least of which is the recently departed, much loved Adam Dunn. It seems to me this hurts the player and the team by not going for the walk and swinging at every pitch. As a high OBP guy, I'm curious on your thoughts of the trend of players to swing away, if you think its even something that really has gotten worse in baseball recently.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #54: February 16, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Besides working out nearly every day, what do you like to do for fun/recreation in the offseason?

One of my hobbies is blogging. I spend a good amount of time writing online. I'm kinda geeky with regards to video games. I like Madden and Call of Duty. I have a girlfriend so I spend a good amount of time with her. I'm involved with an AAU baseball team in my area, so I work with a lot of kids improving their baseball skills. I like movies a lot, I like to read, and reality shows are really starting to consume most of my night lol. I live a pretty boring life I guess haha.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #55: February 16, 2011, 09:54:18 PM »
Do you get stuck looking for whatever is open with food while going to town to town? I hate that when I travel.

Offline EdStroud

• Dave's not home for his B-Day?
« Reply #56: February 16, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »
I've actually become very good friends with a lot of guys from around the world. I took Spanish classes throughout high school and college so I was able to communicate a little bit with a lot of the Latin players. Playing 2nd base, most of my SS partners speak spanish, so it is really important that we can communicate with each other a good amount. I've really enjoyed trying to continue to learn Spanish.

Lo tengo

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #57: February 16, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
Matt, you've been known as a guy with great plate discipline, having an insane walks per strikeout ratio in college during your sophomore year I believe. Is plate discipline something that just comes naturally, or something you've made an effort to work on?

Do you think an effort on plate discipline is something lacking in baseball today, with players focusing on getting that monster blast instead of working the count? We've seen more and more players creeping up to 200 Ks a season, not the least of which is the recently departed, much loved Adam Dunn. It seems to me this hurts the player and the team by not going for the walk and swinging at every pitch. As a high OBP guy, I'm curious on your thoughts of the trend of players to swing away, if you think its even something that really has gotten worse in baseball recently.

I’ve almost always hit either one or two in the batting order from the time I was in little league all the way to the Major Leagues, so my job has always been to get on base. In high school I would take a strike in every single at-bat, and sometimes I would take two strikes before I would ever swing at a pitch. Thinking back, I have no idea why I ever deployed this type of strategy, but one thing it did was teach me the ability to learn the strike zone and better understand what pitches were strikes and what pitches were balls. It also improved my two strike hitting ability because I went to two strikes in probably 80% of my at-bats. I’ve had to adjustment my game and become more aggressive as I’ve gotten older, but patience is something that will always stay with me as a hitter. I’ve also never really been a power hitter throughout my career, but I’ve always had a really good ability to put the bat on the ball and not swing and miss.

As far as the league goes, I think a lot of teams are starting to really focus on OBP as an indicator of good hitting. I also think some teams, and especially fans, love the home run ball. I think a good team consists of a little bit of both. The guys that can get on base and then the guys that can drive them in. I think the best players in the league have the ability to do both, but that is really tough to do.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #58: February 16, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »
Do you get stuck looking for whatever is open with food while going to town to town? I hate that when I travel.

Yeah, especially in the minors. In the Major Leagues you have more money and much better hotels so you can order a nice room service after your game. And in most big league ball parks you are going to be feed a really nice post game meal. In the minor leagues you don't really get much meal money, the hotels aren't the greatest and a lot don't even have restaurants in them. McDonalds and IHOP are big time favorites for MILB players lol

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #59: February 16, 2011, 10:00:01 PM »
Matt,
 1. Who are some of your friends that have got their call ups in the BIGS?
 2. Whose blog do you follow most?
 3. Who has influenced you the most in your in your career...other than your family?
  4.  How often do you take a glance at WNFF!
Thanks for chatting with us!

Man, there are a lot of guys that were able to make their big league debuts over the last few years. The Padres are an organization that want to develop their own players in the minor leagues and give them a chance to play for the Major League team, so there were a lot of us that were able to make our debuts together.

I spend so much time practicing, playing, traveling, and blogging that I don’t get to follow as many people online as I would like. One player that I do read is Dirk Hayhurst. We played and roomed together for a few season with the Padres and he is a great writer, so I enjoy reading his stuff.

There are so many people that have influenced my career over the years it is tough to just name a few. I will say I have been very fortunate to have a number of great coaches over the years.

I will now check WNFF every day and tell all my friends and family to do so also or there will be trouble lol.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #60: February 16, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »
Hi Matt,

Big fan of your blog and I wish you all the success in the world.

1) What were your favorite sports growing up other than baseball?

2) With a good Italian name I'm hoping you can tell us the name of the best pizza place in Boston? Would you say its Pizzaria Reggina or somewhere else?

What music do you listen to and what would be your tune for your at-bats?

Growing up I played just about every sport you could play. I played football, baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, basketball, and probably some other ones I can’t remember. My favorite sports as a kid were hockey and baseball. I always wanted to go to college to play both and then hopefully play in the MLB or NHL.

Hmmm, a lot of people would say that Santarpio’s Pizza or Pizzaria Regina are the best, but I stick with more of the local stuff around my house. One thing about this area is you don’t have to go very far to find a good slice of pizza.

As far as music goes, I listen to a little bit of everything. When it comes to my walk up song I usually always go with a rap song. Rap music pumps me up more than any other type of music for some reason.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #61: February 16, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
Ok guys, looks like my time here is up. I want to thank everyone that chatted tonight and asked questions. I really appreciate it! Thanks for inviting me on and if any of you stop by Spring Training make sure to say hi! If not, hopefully I will see you all in D.C. at some point this year. Go Nats!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #62: February 16, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »
Hey Matt, I just wanted to say good luck this year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #63: February 16, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »
Thanks Matt!

We all really appreciate you coming on here and sharing your views and thoughts with us.

Best of luck in 2011 and the rest of your career!

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #64: February 16, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
thanks Matt!  Hope to see you on the field at Nats park at some point (try and pretend it's as nice an area as the gas lamp district of SD). :)

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #65: February 16, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
Thanks guys, talk to you all later.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #66: February 16, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Outstanding, thanks so much for coming by and answering all these questions. Best of luck to you.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #67: February 16, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »
Thanks for your time, Matt!

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #68: February 16, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
Thanks Matt. Great questions everyone.

Did he ever name the squid?

I'd probably go with Cal as in Calimari.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #69: February 16, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
Best chat so far!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #70: February 16, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
Thanks for coming on Matt, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately I think you're the first chat we've had in a year, so the fact you took the time out to do this really makes you stand out among us WNFFers. You've definitely got quite a few people rooting for you, and looking forward to seeing you up on the big league roster soon.

And thanks for the detailed answer to my question. I really enjoy getting a look at the insides of some of the fundamentals of baseball, and I personally think every batter, even the power hitters, need to focus on plate discipline and working the count if not drawing walks, so it's always nice to get a look inside the mind of a player who espouses those ideals.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11
« Reply #71: February 16, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

I will now check WNFF every day and tell all my friends and family to do so also or there will be trouble lol.

Ruh roh you had better ignore sportsfan, he thinks everyone sucks :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #72: February 17, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »
LAC vs. LANC?  8)

Good chat and best wishes on the season!!!  Go NATS!!!

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #73: February 17, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »
Too bad I missed out on this.  Excellent stuff Matt.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #74: February 17, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
Matt - Santarpio's is always a good choice.  I have not been there in about 25 years since I moved away.  When I was growing up, the best used to be The European, but they closed I think when it was discovered they were tapping another building's electricity.  Pinos used to be my once a week place.  Angelos in Stoneham is terrific, too.  Ever been to Pepe's in New Haven?

Thanks for not saying Upper Crust.  

BTW - when you get a call up, try Cafe Pizzaiolo in Crystal City.  It's near the Sports Pub on 23d.