Author Topic: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11  (Read 13517 times)

Offline MattAntonelli

Re: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat IN PROGRESS
« Reply #25: February 16, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
I know youve had some injuries  how are you feeling now?  How long as it been since youve played ?

I am feeling pretty good right now. I had gone most of my life never getting injured so missing all of last season was pretty miserable. I played a total of 2 and 1/2 innings last year. I tried to come back but realized something was wrong with my wrist after my first surgery and had to go back for a second surgery. I am hoping the injury bug is a thing of the past and my wrist bounces back to 100% this season.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #26: February 16, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
PC or Mac?

Mac all the way. If you don't have one you got to get one!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: February 16, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »
Probably during my first year of professional baseball in short-season A ball traveling back to Eugene, Oregon from Vancouver, Canada. It was about a ten hour bus ride but our bus broke down right before the US border at about 12 PM. We had to stay on the bus until around 7 AM until a mechanic could get out and try to fix what was wrong. In total I think it was about a 18 hour ride. When we finally got home to Eugene we had to get off the bus and go right onto the field for the game that night. That was pretty horrible lol

Aw, that's why the NYPL is the best!

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #28: February 16, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
Mac all the way. If you don't have one you got to get one!
Matt Antonelli for MVP!

PC:  :razz:

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #29: February 16, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
Did you win?

Yeah I think we did. I was half asleep though so I can't quite remember lol. I do remember I had a good game at the plate though haha.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #30: February 16, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »
Matt, thanks a bunch for joining us.  My question:

How involved are you with your agent's representation of you?  Whenever you hear about MLB negotiations it's never really clear how much the players are involved.  Is it more of a fluid process where you talk over each new offer with your agent, or is it more of a "here's the best thing we've got going, I think you should take it" kind of deal?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #31: February 16, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »
Are you in Florida now?  Do you have a roommate?

Do they have wireless so you can keep your blog going?

I am in Massachusetts right now, but I'm leaving for Florida this weekend. I do have a roommate but I won't find out who it is until I get there. I have one of those little verizon wireless cards so I will have internet to keep it going. If I didn't have internet we'd have serious problems.

Offline John

« Reply #32: February 16, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
Welcome, Matt and thanks for doing this chat. Best wishes on your career with the Nationals. I enjoy your blog!

What do you do in the offseason to stay in shape? What is your workout regimen like?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #33: February 16, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
what position to you think youll be playing?  3rd,ss,or 2nd??

I'm pretty sure they are bringing me in to play 2nd base. That is the position I've played over the last three years. But if they feel I could help the team playing a different position I would definitely be up for that. My favorite thing to do is hit, so I'll play anywhere as long as they let me do that.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #34: February 16, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Welcome, Matt and thanks for doing this chat. Best wishes on your career with the Nationals. I enjoy your blog!

What do you do in the offseason to stay in shape? What is your workout regimen like?

Can you take on Corey Brown?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #35: February 16, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
Matt, thanks a bunch for joining us.  My question:

How involved are you with your agent's representation of you?  Whenever you hear about MLB negotiations it's never really clear how much the players are involved.  Is it more of a fluid process where you talk over each new offer with your agent, or is it more of a "here's the best thing we've got going, I think you should take it" kind of deal?

Hey no problem, thanks for the question. When you are under contract with a team your agent pretty much handles your equipment deals, travel stuff, things like that. As far as contract stuff goes, this is kind of how my free agency went.  My agent pretty much handles calling all the teams and finding out who is interested and who isn’t. We then go through the teams and discuss who is the most interested, who is the least, which teams we think are good fits for me, and which ones may not be. Ultimately it comes down to me deciding which place I feel gives me the best opportunity to play and where I’d be happiest playing.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #36: February 16, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »

Hey thanks I appreciate that! I am a big fan of physical fitness stuff. During the off-season I workout on average about 5-6 days a week. I have a personal trainer that is a former MLB strength and conditioning coach that schedules my lifts and workouts. I pretty much do whatever he tells me to do lol. Sometimes he can be a pain in the ass, but he's good at what he does haha.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #37: February 16, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
Can you take on Corey Brown?

Haha I don't know. We will have to have a lift off this Spring Training. Spread the word haha.

Offline deldiamondbb

« Reply #38: February 16, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
 Hope your wrist is ready to turn some double plays!  and hit a few home runs!

Best wishes for a healthy season

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #39: February 16, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
1)Pirates or Ninjas?
2)Cowboys or Aliens?
3)Cake or Pie?
4)Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?
5)What was your favorite moment of your Pre-College baseball career?
6)Who was your favorite player as a kid?
7)How, When and Why did you get involved with baseball in the first place?

answer any 3 of those, and It'll be cool.  thanks for stopping by the best Nats fan forum there is.

Haha I like the questions. I’m going with Ninjas, aliens, pie, I’m a little sick right now but I can slightly smell what he is cooking, probably winning the State Championship in high school, Nomar Garciaparra, and I think I played baseball because my dad played and I really liked sports.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #40: February 16, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »
So when you got the hit off of Maddux, did you get the cold shoulder treatment when you got back to the dugout or did the other guys acknowledge it?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #41: February 16, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
Hope your wrist is ready to turn some double plays!  and hit a few home runs!

Best wishes for a health season

Thanks I hope so too! I really appreciate that! Thanks a lot.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: February 16, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
Do you already know any of the minor leaguers you're going to camp with, or is this an entire new set of teammates?

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #43: February 16, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
What do you remember the most about your September call-up stint with the 2008 Padres?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #44: February 16, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »
So when you got the hit off of Maddux, did you get the cold shoulder treatment when you got back to the dugout or did the other guys acknowledge it?

Haha, no the guys were really cool about it. They all came by and said congratulations. We had a really good group of guys on the team. There were a lot of guys called up that year from AAA so there was a good mix of older veteran guys and younger guys that I knew well.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #45: February 16, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
Do you already know any of the minor leaguers you're going to camp with, or is this an entire new set of teammates?

The Nationals are one team that I have never played against during my minor league career, and only played four games against them in the Major Leagues, so I don’t know many guys from the organization. I do know two players in the minor leagues that are actually both from my hometown which is pretty weird, Nick Serino and Mike Gallo.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #46: February 16, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Through your career I am sure you have encountered many players that are from other countries.  How difficult can it be to communicate with players that do not speak the same language?  Any players you have become particularly close to that were not originally from the US?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #47: February 16, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »
What do you remember the most about your September call-up stint with the 2008 Padres?

Although I’ve tried to forget most of my baseball memories from the years 2008-2010, I do remember a lot about my experience in the Major Leagues during that September. I remember learning that although I was really struggling at the time with my swing, Major League baseball is the same game that you’ve played your entire life, and that when I got back to playing the type of game that I had once played, I could be a player at that level. I also remember having to wear a Hooter's uniform to a bar in downtown Denver and also on our cross country team flight to D.C. Not the most comfortable trip in the world haha.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: February 16, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
Besides working out nearly every day, what do you like to do for fun/recreation in the offseason?

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #49: February 16, 2011, 09:49:22 PM »
how do you train in the off-season?  Do you have a personal trainer?  What is your routine like?

(oh, and what advice do you give to parents of 8 & 10 year old boys who dream of being ball players some day)