Author Topic: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11  (Read 12243 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Matt Antonelli - Live Chat COMPLETED 2/16/11
« Topic Start: February 16, 2011, 08:54:48 PM »
WNFF, please welcome Matt Antonelli to the forum.

Special thanks to "I can Throw", who reached out to Matt through Matt's blog and helped make this happen.  

Offline I can Throw

Re: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat Starting 9 PM HERE
« Reply #1: February 16, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
Happy to help.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: February 16, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
Hey Matt, welcome to WNFF

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #3: February 16, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
What's up guys? Thanks for having me on here and I hope I don't screw things up too bad, I've never done this on a forum before. I have some questions I've already answered that I'll throw up, but fire away and I'll answer as fast as I can.

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #4: February 16, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
Welcome, Matt.  Thanks for taking the time to indulge us fans!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Matt Antonelli - Live Chat IN PROGRESS
« Reply #5: February 16, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
Welcome, Matt.  Thanks for taking the time to indulge us fans!

Agreed. Welcome Matt!

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #6: February 16, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
Appreciate you doing this chat Matt.  This will probably bust my question quota, so answer whatever you want to answer and skip the rest.

Did you expect to being blogging after three years? Any funny or odd stories resulting from the blogging? By the way, I thought it is was particularly cool you announced your signing.
Does being a first round pick come up still with other players or is it mainly a media or fan question?
Any nicknames you haven't mentioned much or at all?
What are the oddest things you have been asked to autograph?

Welcome to D.C. Appreciate it and wishing you the best this season. 

I expect to be blogging for as long as I’m playing baseball, and possible after my career is over. I really enjoy doing so and it has given me an opportunity to meet and interact with people from all over the world. The weirdest thing to happen to me as a result of my blog is probably appearing on ESPN’s First Take because of a video of me playing nerf basketball with my roommate in our Spring Training apartment. It must have been a slow day in Bristol that day lol.

The oddest thing I have ever been asked to sign was probably a prosthetic leg last Spring Training. As I was singing a few baseballs I keep hearing a guy screaming at me to sign his leg. I thought it was a joke so I didn’t look up, but after the 10th time I turned and was handed a giant leg that he had taken off for me to sign. I thought that was pretty cool lol.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: February 16, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Have you ever taken the drug reglan?

:lmao: Just kidding.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #8: February 16, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
No problem guys, glad to be here.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: February 16, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »
From our chats last year with Balester and Storen, we learned that pitchers are generally smarter than position players.  To what do you attribute this?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #10: February 16, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
Matt - what are your goals for this year?  What would you consider to be a successful season?

What was it like to debut against and get your first hit off of Greg Maddux?  Did you get the ball?

My first goal this year is to stay healthy. I went the first 23 years of my life never being injured and barely ever missing a game. The last two years I have missed almost 200 games because of injury. My injuries could probably be considered “freak” injuries, but I hope I can stay away from anything like that again and be on the field the entire season. Other than that I have a bunch of goals for myself. I want to get back to playing the way I did before I got injured and before I lost my swing. I want to be a guy that gets on base at a high clip, can steal bags, score runs, hit for some power, and continue to improve my defense. Ultimately I want to get to the Major Leagues and have a successful career there.

Being able to get my first hit off a Hall of Fame pitcher like Greg Maddux was awesome. Just to get my first Major League hit was great, but to get it off a pitcher with such an amazing career was a memorable experience.  I did get the ball and it is in my room back home.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #11: February 16, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
From our chats last year with Balester and Storen, we learned that pitchers are generally smarter than position players.  To what do you attribute this?

Haha. I'm gonna say that pitchers are generally a lot more unathletic than position players. Position guys played a lot of sports when they were younger. We were outside playing hockey, basketball, football. Most pitchers weren't getting picked for the recess dodgeball and kickball teams so they did a lot more studying. That is probably why lol

Offline deldiamondbb

« Reply #12: February 16, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
 Hi Matt
 sorry you didin't get invited to spring training when does the minor league report?

Did they tell you what team you will be with this year?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #13: February 16, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
What are your thoughts on baseball's unwritten rules?  Do you think they play an important part in the tradition of the game?  And if so, which unwritten rules do you personally believe are most important to the game?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #14: February 16, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »
What was it like walking up to the plate in your first major league at bat (the one you already answered. whoops :doh:!!)? I mean just the idea of having that opportunity sounds amazing.

What is your walk up music/would it be?

Do you miss playing the corner or have you been playing second for so long that you now prefer the middle?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #15: February 16, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »
Hi Matt
 sorry you didin't get invited to spring training when does the minor league report?

Did they tell you what team you will be with this year?

I think minor league camp guys report March 8th or so. I'm reporting on February 23 for an accelerated camp I believe is what they call it. I think it is for a few guys to get a little work in before camp officially starts. As far as what team I will play with this year I am not sure just yet. It will probably depend on how I do at Spring Training, how other players do, injuries, and all those type of things. We will see.

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #16: February 16, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
What was it like walking up to the plate in your first major league at bat (the one you already answered. whoops !!)? I mean just the idea of having that opportunity sounds amazing.

What is your walk up music/would it be?

Do you miss playing the corner or have you been playing second for so long that you now prefer the middle?

It was definitely something I had been wanting to do since I was a little kid. The weird thing is, you think it would be a lot different than other at-bats, but when you are in the game I was just totally focused on doing what I needed to do to get a hit. It wasn't until after the game ended that I looked back and said, "man, I just hit off Greg Maddux in a Major League game."

I like rap music as my walk up music. That seems to pump me up for some reason.

I actually went into college as a middle infielder and had to suddenly move over to 3rd. I like the middle infield a lot more than I did 3rd base. I'll play wherever they need me, but I'll always favor the middle infield more.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #17: February 16, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
What's the longest/worst minor league bus trip you ever took?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #18: February 16, 2011, 09:23:15 PM »
What are your thoughts on baseball's unwritten rules?  Do you think they play an important part in the tradition of the game?  And if so, which unwritten rules do you personally believe are most important to the game?

I think it is important to respect the game. I don't like guys that "hotdog" it, or act like they are bigger or better than the game. I always just think when you are between the lines you play hard and you play clean and you play the game the right way.

Offline deldiamondbb

« Reply #19: February 16, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
 I know youve had some injuries  how are you feeling now?  How long as it been since youve played ?

Offline MattAntonelli

« Reply #20: February 16, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »
What's the longest/worst minor league bus trip you ever took?

Probably during my first year of professional baseball in short-season A ball traveling back to Eugene, Oregon from Vancouver, Canada. It was about a ten hour bus ride but our bus broke down right before the US border at about 12 PM. We had to stay on the bus until around 7 AM until a mechanic could get out and try to fix what was wrong. In total I think it was about a 18 hour ride. When we finally got home to Eugene we had to get off the bus and go right onto the field for the game that night. That was pretty horrible lol

Online PC

« Reply #21: February 16, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
PC or Mac?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: February 16, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Probably during my first year of professional baseball in short-season A ball traveling back to Eugene, Oregon from Vancouver, Canada. It was about a ten hour bus ride but our bus broke down right before the US border at about 12 PM. We had to stay on the bus until around 7 AM until a mechanic could get out and try to fix what was wrong. In total I think it was about a 18 hour ride. When we finally got home to Eugene we had to get off the bus and go right onto the field for the game that night. That was pretty horrible lol
Did you win?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: February 16, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
Are you in Florida now?  Do you have a roommate?

Do they have wireless so you can keep your blog going? 

Offline deldiamondbb

« Reply #24: February 16, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
what position to you think youll be playing?  3rd,ss,or 2nd??