Author Topic: Nationals Sign Two Dominican Prospects  (Read 2093 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Nationals Sign Two Dominican Prospects
« Reply #25: February 13, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »
The investment of millions of dollars in one guy is always risky if you don't have the right bucones referring you the right guys and then having the optimal PD folks in place.

I am happy to see any story about what happens down in the DR because we don't get to hear enough about what's going on down there, good or bad.

The moral of the Smiley story is that you also need to send your own scouts down there to get a first hand view of the player.  The Yanks did that and made the right move; the Nats trusted people who had a financial stake in selling the kid and got burned.

My frustration with the story is that it sounds good, but it sounded good back in 2006, though I guess that some information about the DR program is better than nothing. 

I wonder if the million dollars spent on players last year is any better than if they had spent nothing at all.  It seems like the team needs to be among the top few programs down there if they expect to see any return on their investment.  Otherwise they might as well hang out on South Capitol and bid on the random Cuban refugee.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #26: February 13, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
You know Kilgore covered the Orioles at the Post before, right? I know you hate the guy, but he's not some n00b reporter.

True, Kilgore only writes like a newbie. His spelling and grammar are sometimes not much better than failed high school English assignment.

I wonder what software Kilgore uses that has no spelling or grammar checking options?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: February 13, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
True, Kilgore only writes like a newbie. His spelling and grammar are sometimes not much better than failed high school English assignment.

I wonder what software Kilgore uses that has no spelling or grammar checking options?

Windows Notepad?

Offline Vega

« Reply #28: February 13, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
If it came down to investing two million in a seventeen year-old top Dominican prospect, or in a Brian Bruney, I'd take the prospect every time. Sure, there's a lot of risk involved with foreign prospects, but there is considerably more upside there than there is in a Brian Bruney.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #29: February 13, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
If it came down to investing two million in a seventeen year-old top Dominican prospect, or in a Brian Bruney, I'd take the prospect every time. Sure, there's a lot of risk involved with foreign prospects, but there is considerably more upside there than there is in a Brian Bruney.

Sounds good now, but twelve months ago the overwhelming consensus was that he was going to be our power set up man.  (I called Bruney bad news from day one.)

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #30: February 13, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »

I tend to prefer taking that $2 million and spread it among 10-20 $100-200K guys

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #31: February 13, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
I tend to prefer taking that $2 million and spread it among 10-20 $100-200K guys

This - projecting a 16 year is near impossible.

Offline Minty Fresh

• GOOOOOOOOOOD MORNIN' VIETNAM!
« Reply #32: February 13, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
sadly, minty, we still have some housecleaning to do still 8)

but you won't see many people shedding tears those two are gone.

Ownership changes rarely result in instant stability.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #33: February 20, 2011, 06:49:44 AM »
Kilgore may not have the sense of history that I'd like, but so far he's killing it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #34: February 21, 2011, 08:29:25 AM »
Kilgore may not have the sense of history that I'd like, but so far he's killing it.

Well that lasted a day.  His latest blog entry repeats the team line about how we are more athletic than ever this year, which works as long as you don't go back as far as 2008.