Author Topic: Angelos finally gets it? O's add to solid offseason and pick up Vlad  (Read 3188 times)

Offline hammondsnats

O's get Vlad

Orioles agree to terms with Guerrero
In a move that will certainly please their long-suffering fan base and at least, on paper, give them one of the better lineups in the American League, the Orioles today have reached agreement on a one-year, $8 million deal with veteran slugger Vladimir Guerrero, according to sources.

The deal for the 36-year-old, who has 436 career home runs, is pending a physical. If Guerrero passes it, the Orioles will install him as their everyday designated hitter, and move last year’s DH, Luke Scott, the club’s leading returning home run hitter, to left field. Felix Pie and Nolan Reimold are now expected to compete for the fourth outfielder’s role.

Espndeportes.com first reported that the two sides have agreed to a deal.

Guerrero batted .300 with 29 homers and 115 RBI for the American League champion Texas Rangers in 2010.

The Orioles expressed interest in Guerrero earlier this offseason as a contingency plan had they been unable to sign a first baseman, and needed to play Scott at that position, thus opening the DH spot. However, they signed veteran Derrek Lee to play first and essentially cut off negotiations with Guerrero’s representatives – Fern Cuza and Diego Bentz – at that point.

They eventually resumed talks just a couple of days after the Tampa Bay Rays agreed to terms with Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez on Jan.21, eliminating what was believed to be Guerrero’s top suitor. The Los Angeles Angels, who Guerrero starred for from 2004 to 2009, also were essentially eliminated from the picture when they acquired outfielder Vernon Wells, a move that shifted Bobby Abreu to DH.

The Rangers also discussed a potential return for Guerrero, but they didn’t have enough at-bats available after signing third baseman Adrian Beltre, moving Michael Young to a utility/DH role, and acquiring first baseman/catcher Mike Napoli.

Orioles President of Baseball Operations Andy MacPhail had said on multiple occasions that the Orioles were likely done with any significance spending as their 2011 payroll – now about $92 million – had already exceeded what they hoped it would be.

However, Guerrero, who was initially seeking a two-year deal worth between $18 and $20 million, proved too good to pass up.

The nine-time, All-Star is a career .320 hitter and he’s driven in 100 runs or more 10 different seasons. A notorious free swinger who likes the ball anywhere and everywhere but still rarely strikes out (he fanned just 60 times in 593 at-bats last year), Guerrero’s also bashed 27 or more home runs in 11 of the past 13 seasons.

His bad knees make him exclusively a designated hitter and there’s some concern that his numbers tailed off so significantly in 2010. Guerrero hit .319 with 20 home runs and 75 RBIs in 83 games before the All-Star break. In the second half, he batted .278 with nine homers and 40 RBIs in 69 contests. He also struggled during the Rangers’ run to the World Series, batting .220 (13-for-59) with no homers, six RBIs and 16 strikeouts.

Still, Guerrero, who is rarely cheated, remains a big-time presence in the batter’s box and he’ll likely hit cleanup for the Orioles, adding even more depth to a lineup that now also includes Lee, third baseman Mark Reynolds and shortstop J.J. Hardy.

Reynolds, acquired in a December trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks, batted just .198 last year, but he still put up 32 homers and 85 RBIs and has averaged 35 homes and 95 RBIs over the past three seasons. Lee, a free agent signing, is also coming off a poor season (.260, 19 homers, 80 RBIs), but he’s just one year removed from registering a .306 average, 35 homers and 111 RBIs for the Chicago Cubs in 2009.

Hardy, acquired in a December trade with the Minnesota Twins, hit .268 with six homers and 38 RBIs in 101 games in 2010. However, he’s considered a significance offensive upgrade over former Orioles’ shortstop Cesar Izturis, who was re-signed to fill a utility role.

Yeah yeah cue the predictable spidernat "hammonds loves o's" post, but it's amazing how the Orioles are jumping our franchise.  You could make a case that they have had a better offseason, a better farm and now it seems they have the better owner.  Amazing.

We still have ? marks @ LF and CF, our middle infielders might have potential but are question marks and our rotation is one of the worst in the bigs.

Amazing how we have let the Orioles surpass us.  The Nats are still my team, but boy this crap is depressing.  I'm tired of watching AAAA baseball.

Offline blue911

Yeah yeah cue the predictable spidernat "hammonds loves o's" post, but it's amazing how the Orioles are jumping our franchise.  You could make a case that they have had a better offseason, a better farm and now it seems they have the better owner.  Amazing.

We still have ? marks @ LF and CF, our middle infielders might have potential but are question marks and our rotation is one of the worst in the bigs.

Amazing how we have let the Orioles surpass us.  The Nats are still my team, but boy this crap is depressing.  I'm tired of watching AAAA baseball.

Did you watch the World Series?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Vlad is nothing. He costs nothing. The O's got spare parts and retreads and are headed right for last place. What universe do you live in?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
oh GTFOHWTBS hammonds

Offline houston-nat

You would be right that signing Vladimir Guerrero means the O's are serious... if this were 2006.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Vlad is nothing. He costs nothing. The O's got spare parts and retreads and are headed right for last place. What universe do you live in?

Cue Albert Belle.

Offline hammondsnats

Vlad
Reynolds
Lee
Duchscherer
Hardy
Gregg

that's a solid offseason.  i'm not trolling, just sayin'.

Offline hammondsnats

yeah ... .300 / .345 / .496 with 29 homers and 115 rbi's is nothing.  lol.

oh and they improved on their payroll mightily.  would love to see the day when that will happen for us.

Offline blue911

yeah ... .300 / .345 / .496 with 29 homers and 115 rbi's.  lol

He can't freaking field.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
He can't freaking field.

Now Luke Scott moves to the field, Duke and Lee are ?'s, etc., etc.

Offline hammondsnats

He can't freaking field.

DH.  i'm not saying i wanted vlad for the nats, i'm saying i think they had a better offseason and a better farm.  this is the out of town section, not the clubhouse ... we're allowed to talk about other teams.

Offline hammondsnats

Now Luke Scott moves to the field, Duke and Lee are ?'s, etc., etc.

yeah the same two guys we wanted :lmao:

my point is if the O's can find a way to get better, we should.  

Offline Potomac Cannons

I like their lineup but their rotation is entirely young guns and Guthrie.  Lotsa 7-5 type games coming their way.

Offline hammondsnats

I like their lineup but their rotation is entirely young guns and Guthrie.  Lotsa 7-5 type games coming their way.

let's have a civil conversation ... which rotation would you rather have:
Nats         Orioles
Livan    #1     Guthrie
Zimmermann    #2     Matusz
Lannan    #3    Arrieta
Marquis    #4     Duchscherer
Gorzelanny    #5     Bergesen/Tillman/Britton

now which line-up:
Nats         Orioles
Morgan    CF     Jones
Bernadina/Morse/Ankiel    LF     Scott/Vlad
Werth    RF    Markakis
LaRoche    1B     Lee
Espinosa    2B     Roberts
Desmond    SS    Hardy
Zimmerman    3B     Reynolds
Pudge/Ramos    C     Wieters

Offline blue911

let's have a civil conversation ... which rotation would you rather have:
Nats         Orioles
Livan    #1     Guthrie
Zimmermann    #2     Matusz
Lannan    #3    Arrieta
Marquis    #4     Duchscherer
Gorzelanny    #5     Bergesen/Tillman/Britton

the Nats.

Offline HalfSmokes

Good move, still a last place team by a mile though

Offline hammondsnats

Good move, still a last place team by a mile though

they'll be better than jays ... book it. 

Offline hammondsnats

the Nats.

to each his own, but the Nats finished with a 4.61 ERA (starter) vs. O's 4.67 ERA ... but we don't have Strasburg and they cut ties with Millwood.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Let's see...Duchscherer has a grand total of 27 starts at age 33 and hasn't been healthy for years, Guthrie is a lower paid Jason Marquis.  Matusz looks like he's gotten it.  Arrieta still has a long way to go and put up a K/BB ratio of 1.08 and a 1.53 WHIP.  Bergesen is okay.  Tillman was worse than Arrieta.  The O's need one of the Arrieta/Bergesen/Tillman trio to really get it, Duchscherer to be healthy like he's never been before and a bounce back year from Duke just to be average.

I'll take the Nats rotation.

Offline hammondsnats

Let's see...Duchscherer has a grand total of 27 starts at age 33 and hasn't been healthy for years, Guthrie is a lower paid Jason Marquis.  Matusz looks like he's gotten it.  Arrieta still has a long way to go and put up a K/BB ratio of 1.08 and a 1.53 WHIP.  Bergesen is okay.  Tillman was worse than Arrieta.  The O's need one of the Arrieta/Bergesen/Tillman trio to really get it, Duchscherer to be healthy like he's never been before and a bounce back year from Duke just to be average.

I'll take the Nats rotation.

guthrie last year: 3.83 ERA with a 1.16 WHIP.  

zimmermann is as big of a question mark as any of the o's young starters and coming off injury. 

Offline NatsDad14

Tell me the last time Jason Marquis had a 3.83 ERA? You have to 7 years ago. In 3 of the last 4 years, Guthrie has had a Sub 4 ERA. Marquis has a total of 2 Sub 4 ERA seasons despite playing in the NL for his whole career.

Offline UMDNats

The O's will still finish in last this year and next year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
they'll be better than jays ... book it. 
This would mean they are finishing second or first, because there's a lot of people who think the Jays are finishing 3d. 

I think the Os were bidding against themselves or paying a loser premium to have to pay Vladi $8MM to DH when Manny was signing for $2MM and Damon $5MM. 

I am not sold on Reynolds at all.  If Jose Bautista plays 3d, he is probably the worst offensive 3b in the division.  Lee is what Lee is.  Not saying he's bad, but there is a reason he and LaRoche were mentioned in the same breath, well after Dunn, Huff, Martinez, and a some others. Hardy has gone a couple years since he was a plus offensive player, but he deserves credit for his D.

I kind of hope McPhail looks to move Pie now for something.  I don't think there's a great match between the Nats and Os, but I would give him a shot at LF/CF here.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
oh GTFOHWTBS hammonds

Old flames die hard for some. hammonds is still in love with his ex girlfriend.  :rofl:

Offline hammondsnats

Old flames die hard for some. hammonds is still in love with his ex girlfriend.  :rofl:

oh shut the freak up you think the lerners are as cheap/pathetic as i do.