Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70409 times)

Offline daggerrrrrr

The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Topic Start: January 17, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
My top 10 picks, plus our 23rd pick

1. (Pirates)   LHP-Matt Purke,TCU
2. (Mariners) 3B-Anthony Rendon,Rice
3. (DiBacks)  RHP-Gerrit Cole,Ucla
4. (Orioles)   RHP-Taylor Jungmann,Tex
5. (Royals)   OF-Jackie Bradley,SC
6. (Nats)      LHP-Danny Hultzen,UVA
7. (DiBacks)  OF-George Springer,UCONN
8. (Indians)   LHP-Daniel Norris,HS(TN)
9. (Cubs)      RHP-Sonny Gray,Vandy
10.(Padres)   3B/OF-Travis Harrison,HS(CA)

23.(Nats)      3B-Jason Esposito,Vandy

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #1: January 17, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
You think the Poorates won't pay for Rendon?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: January 17, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
Ohh, I like Hultzen.

I saw the UVA pitching speak last winter, he was very impressive. He has their pitch count and workouts down to a science. Zero chance any of his pitchers are overworked.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #3: January 17, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »
You think the Poorates won't pay for Rendon?
I just think Matt Purke is a beast and he's very deserving of being the #1 overall pick. I guess it's more about what that team needs, but it could go either way.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #4: January 17, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
Ohh, I like Hultzen.

I saw the UVA pitching speak last winter, he was very impressive. He has their pitch count and workouts down to a science. Zero chance any of his pitchers are overworked.
And this pick should make Zimmerman happy.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: January 17, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
I guess Purke made the right decision.

Online blue911

« Reply #6: January 17, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
And this pick should make Zimmerman happy.

Hultzen went to St. Albans so there are a lot of people that will be happy if the Nats draft Danny. He also got a couple of hits off of Strasburg in the NCAA's.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: January 17, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
Jackie Bradley, JR, if he's available, please.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: January 17, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Aren't Bradley and Springer top CF prospects? I know you're not supposed to draft to your current weaknesses, but it's tempting.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: January 17, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
Aren't Bradley and Springer top CF prospects? I know you're not supposed to draft to your current weaknesses, but it's tempting.
Yes, but that's not why I want him.  I'll admit to not having an exhaustive knowledge of available players, but JBJ and Purke were the two best players at the CWS last year and it wasn't even that close.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #10: January 17, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
Hultzen went to St. Albans so there are a lot of people that will be happy if the Nats draft Danny. He also got a couple of hits off of Strasburg in the NCAA's.
It almost seems like Hultzen is destined to ends up with the Nationals.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: January 17, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »
I think the Sox drafted Hultzen out of high school but he could not be bought off from UVA.  

Looks like I was wrong.  I know there was a stud who went to UVA, and thought is was a local kid, but I did not see Hultzen on the Red Sox draft lists.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #12: January 17, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
I think the Sox drafted Hultzen out of high school but he could not be bought off from UVA. 
Which Sox(Red or White)?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #13: January 17, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
Who have the Rays drafted that haven't signed with them?  That's who we should draft.  Maybe also the Yankees.

And then stay away from anyone the Cubs have drafted.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #14: January 17, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
Who have the Rays drafted that haven't signed with them?  That's who we should draft.  Maybe also the Yankees.

And then stay away from anyone the Cubs have drafted.
Last year Tampa Bay picked RHP Austin Wood in the 4th round 131 overall, but he didn't sign. He is expected to go in the first round this year. He might be still on the board when we pick again at 34.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #15: January 17, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
I like the idea of getting more big strong college pitchers.  Those guys seem to succeed at a higher rate than the skinny guys or the high schoolers, even if the upside is lower.  The potential for complete busts is lower.  I think once we get good at the MLB level, we should take more risks in the draft.  I hate the 'let's suck for 10 years and get lots of high upside/high bust potential draft picks' team building strategy.

We do need talent everywhere, though, so I wouldn't be opposed to adding some big time bats.  Rizzo has drafted several MI recently.  Maybe he grabs a few more of them.  He likes bigger-framed players there, too.  Those types can always switch positions if they're not suited to SS or 2B.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #16: January 17, 2011, 03:47:26 PM »

I like the idea of getting more big strong college pitchers.  Those guys seem to succeed at a higher rate than the skinny guys or the high schoolers, even if the upside is lower.  The potential for complete busts is lower.  I think once we get good at the MLB level, we should take more risks in the draft.  I hate the 'let's suck for 10 years and get lots of high upside/high bust potential draft picks' team building strategy.

We do need talent everywhere, though, so I wouldn't be opposed to adding some big time bats.  Rizzo has drafted several MI recently.  Maybe he grabs a few more of them.  He likes bigger-framed players there, too.  Those types can always switch positions if they're not suited to SS or 2B.

I'd like Bradley and a couple starting pitchers, (at least one a big, strong college hurler), projectable to be at least #3s. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #17: January 17, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »
I like the idea of getting more big strong college pitchers.  Those guys seem to succeed at a higher rate than the skinny guys or the high schoolers, even if the upside is lower.  The potential for complete busts is lower. 

I was just reading something in Sports Illustrated about the Red Sox. I think it said they started becoming more successful in the draft when they stopped trying to draft people who fit a specific mold. It said something about not shying away from High School players. I tossed the SI after I read it, so sorry about the vagueness.

Anyway, as long as we draft the very best player on our board (despite age, position, etc) and continue to invest in the draft like we did last year, I'll be happy.

I do like Hultzen, though.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #18: January 17, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »

I'm on the Jackie Bradley bandwagon as well...he just makes too much sense for us Id like for them to go for upside wit the second 1st rounder and a college pitcher wit the 3rd

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: January 17, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »

Looks like I was wrong.  I know there was a stud who went to UVA, and thought is was a local kid, but I did not see Hultzen on the Red Sox draft lists.
Branden Kline.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #20: January 17, 2011, 06:05:26 PM »
http://5tooltalk.com/2011-feature-mailbag-1-16-11.html

Check out the link - guy with an MLB draft website talking about the possibility of the 2nd ranked prospect in the draft falling to us b/c of the Boras link.  Gerrit Cole - big right-handed pitcher from UCLA.  Looks to be someone Rizzo would be interested based on the types of pitchers he's drafted in the past.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: January 17, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »
I'd still rather go with JBJ over Cole.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #22: January 17, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
I'd still rather go with JBJ over Cole.
Jon Bon Jovi?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #23: January 17, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
Jon Bon Jovi?
From the site TD quoted, fwiw. 

Jackie Bradley, Jr.

* South Carolina
    * 5'11", 175 L/R

Bradley quietly opened the 2010 season as one of the top prospects eligible for the 2011 draft, coming off of a strong summer in ’09 playing on the Cape after his his freshman year in college. He ended the spring loudly, garnering College World Series MVP honors as the Gamecocks secured their first national championship. He is a potential five-tool athlete that has good, not great speed and a very strong throwing arm.  He has very good bat speed and budding power potential, swatting two home runs in Omaha and 13 overall on the season, although he likely will never be a huge power threat.  He also walked (41 times) more times than he struck out (37), a good indication of how well he manages the strike zone. He is also one of the best defensive players available for next year’s draft, and could soar through the minors given his overall polish. He profiles to hit anywhere first through third in a big-league lineup, although he doesn’t possess prototypical game-changing speed to lead off.  His ability to get on base could make up for that and then some, and his knack for the big hit will serve him well wherever he hits.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: January 17, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
http://5tooltalk.com/2011-feature-mailbag-1-16-11.html

Check out the link - guy with an MLB draft website talking about the possibility of the 2nd ranked prospect in the draft falling to us b/c of the Boras link.  Gerrit Cole - big right-handed pitcher from UCLA.  Looks to be someone Rizzo would be interested based on the types of pitchers he's drafted in the past.
Cole was a kid who passed on the NYY when they drafted him in the first round.