Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70394 times)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #50: January 22, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
I like having the college pitcher.

My dream scenario is Purke sliding down to us for signability issues since he's a draft eligible sophomore.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #51: January 22, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
This just shows you how deep this draft is. I love that we have 3 picks in the top 40. Letting Dunn go was a smart idea for long term future of this team.

What's the position of the 3rd pick?  40?

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #52: January 22, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »
My dream scenario is Purke sliding down to us for signability issues since he's a draft eligible sophomore.
If Purke or even Cole falls to us. I'll run down my street buttnaked yelling at the top of my lungs.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #53: January 22, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #54: January 22, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Purke is the only one I'd take over JBJ with no hesitation.  If it were JBJ vs. Cole, that'd be tough.  I wouldn't have a problem with either. 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #55: January 22, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »

34.  We've got 6, 23 and 34.  It's a good spot to be in with such a deep draft.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #56: January 22, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
If Purke or even Cole falls to us. I'll run down my street buttnaked yelling at the top of my lungs.

If you somehow turn into the lass in the pic then I want to know where you live just in case.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #57: January 22, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
If you somehow turn into the lass in the pic then I want to know where you live just in case.
That's what I was about to say.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #58: January 22, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
That's my girl you talking about.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #59: January 27, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
Here's a compensation pick type talent to think about, or somebody to grab at No 23 if we take a pitcher with the first pick (Taylor Jungmann, por favor) instead of an OF like JBJr. Sure, I'm biased towards Rice, but this guy is good, and the Nats are sure to notice him while watching Rendon, the way they noticed Rick Hague this year.

LF Michael Fuda
2010 stats: .346/.491/.519  / 7 HRs / 6 SBs / 45 RBIs
Aaron Fitt's BA analysis: "very talented...could be on the brink of stardom...Fuda, a former football wide receiver, has blazing speed and figures to be more aggressive on the basepaths this spring....[on defense] excellent range."

(Rice is such a traditionally good-hitting team that Coach Wayne Graham doesn't rely on steals so much, hence the small total.)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #60: January 27, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting 3 big power pitchers with those first 3 picks.  One or two makes more sense, though.  Jackie Bradley Jr. does look like he'd be a really good fit here.

Also, no more high school players, please.  The Nats suck at either picking them or devleoping them.  Or both. 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #61: January 27, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
Also, no more high school players, please.  The Nats suck at either picking them or devleoping them.  Or both. 

We have no idea how we do with HS players under Rizzo.

AJ Cole, in the 4th round, is the earliest he's picked a HS player.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #62: January 27, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
We have no idea how we do with HS players under Rizzo.

unless we hired new managers at the rookie-ball though high A levels, we have some insight. The near universal failure of the Bowden picks leads me to believe that the problem lies in the development side of things more than the scouting side. It's not like Bowden made huge reach picks and our international (i.e. high school age) guys haven't developed either. Then again, if Desmond and Espinosa may reverse the trend 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #63: January 27, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »

You keep saying this. I'll keep saying that it's a foolish draft strategy to box yourself in to only selecting players from one mold.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #64: January 27, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
unless we hired new managers at the rookie-ball though high A levels, we have some insight. The near universal failure of the Bowden picks leads me to believe that the problem lies in the development side of things more than the scouting side. It's not like Bowden made huge reach picks and our international (i.e. high school age) guys haven't developed either. Then again, if Desmond and Espinosa may reverse the trend 

Even there we haven't taken anyone above the 4th round in Rizzo's two drafts.  09 he took a P in the 5th round that went to JC instead.  He also took two SS in round 6 and 8 and no others before round 15.  This year we got Cole, Ray in the 12th, and no other HS before round 30.  Seems like he's not even going for them.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: January 27, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
Even there we haven't taken anyone above the 4th round in Rizzo's two drafts.  09 he took a P in the 5th round that went to JC instead.  He also took two SS in round 6 and 8 and no others before round 15.  This year we got Cole, Ray in the 12th, and no other HS before round 30.  Seems like he's not even going for them.

I wonder if he knows something about the relative ability of our developmental guys

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #66: January 27, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »
I wonder if he knows something about the relative ability of our developmental guys

Considering all the turnover, even at Potomac this year despite the success, I'd venture to guess that's a big part of it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #67: January 27, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »
Considering all the turnover, even at Potomac this year despite the success, I'd venture to guess that's a big part of it.

What turnover has there been? I missed this news.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #68: January 27, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
What turnover has there been? I missed this news.

Matt Lecroy replaces the awful Gary Cathcart as manager and Mark Harris got the hitting coach gig after they let go of Matty Nokes (who I thought did an excellent job).

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #69: January 27, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
I dunno how many times I've said it, but it's just how I see how past drafts have played out.  Our (few) hits seem to have been the college guys - both Z's, for example.  The high profile high schoolers have all been busts or mediocre - Marrero, Burgess, all the HS pitchers like Smoker and McGeary that supposedly made for that one great draft under Bowden. 

Maybe the busts are coloring my perception, but it seems to me like we're better at picking college players.  If we're going with platitudes, I would call that playing to your strengths.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #70: January 27, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
I dunno how many times I've said it, but it's just how I see how past drafts have played out.  Our (few) hits seem to have been the college guys - both Z's, for example.  The high profile high schoolers have all been busts or mediocre - Marrero, Burgess, all the HS pitchers like Smoker and McGeary that supposedly made for that one great draft under Bowden.

The key is "under Bowden."  If Rizzo hasn't established himself as a completely different, and much more competent, GM by now then he won't. 

An atrocious GM like Bowden shouldn't be the standard on college vs high school draft picks.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #71: January 27, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
Trevor Holder was a real find.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: January 27, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »

Maybe the busts are coloring my perception, but it seems to me like we're better at picking college players.  If we're going with platitudes, I would call that playing to your strengths.

are middle infielders next year were both high schoolers

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #73: January 27, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »
are middle infielders next year were both high schoolers

Espinosa was a college player at Long Beach State.  Desmond was drafted by the Expos before Bowden was in the picture (and two picks before Garrett Mock to the Diamondbacks).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: January 27, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
Espinosa was a college player at Long Beach State.  Desmond was drafted by the Expos before Bowden was in the picture.

looks like BR messed up

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/espinda01.shtml