Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2011)  (Read 110415 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: MLB & Division Watching (2011)
« Reply #75: February 08, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
Umm... Do you have Young in a AL fantasy league?
Actually, I've had him a few times on my team.  He's been OK for me when I've had him.  I think I drafted or kept him once and traded for him twice when I needed average help and soemone to hold his own  in other categories.  Like I said, I've been a fan of his.  At this point, he's a limited player.  I think he was well suited for the DH / utility role.  Maybe he's annoyed at the Napoli trade. Maybe they've said he'd have to compete for ABs with Napoli, too.  That said, he has an unbelievably lucrative contract for what he contributes.  If he's so gung-ho about abandoning ship, then he's going to have get the MLBPA to agree to let him chop his pay in half or the Rangers are going to have to find another team looking to dump a contract.  Soriano, Dontrelle (if he's still signed), Zito . . . 

Online blue911

« Reply #76: February 08, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »
Actually, I've had him a few times on my team.  He's been OK for me when I've had him.  I think I drafted or kept him once and traded for him twice when I needed average help and soemone to hold his own  in other categories.  Like I said, I've been a fan of his.  At this point, he's a limited player.  I think he was well suited for the DH / utility role.  Maybe he's annoyed at the Napoli trade. Maybe they've said he'd have to compete for ABs with Napoli, too.  That said, he has an unbelievably lucrative contract for what he contributes.  If he's so gung-ho about abandoning ship, then he's going to have get the MLBPA to agree to let him chop his pay in half or the Rangers are going to have to find another team looking to dump a contract.  Soriano, Dontrelle (if he's still signed), Zito . . . 

Not going to happen, ever. Michael Young is just another example of poor management by the Hicks ownership group.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: February 08, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
Not going to happen, ever. Michael Young is just another example of poor management by the Hicks ownership group.
It kind of goes with the "hell freezes over" topic (Yankees trading Gardner for Detwiler or Lannan). That said, the Eagles did get back together.

Online blue911

« Reply #78: February 08, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
It kind of goes with the "hell freezes over" topic (Yankees trading Gardner for Detwiler or Lannan). That said, the Eagles did get back together.

That's because they had Joe Walsh, Maaaan.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: February 08, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
You suppose Joe Walsh and Joan Walsh are related?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #80: February 08, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
Sox signed Alfredo Aceves - I like him, Nats missed out. Sox are turning him into a starter.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #81: February 09, 2011, 01:38:48 AM »
Sox signed Alfredo Aceves - I like him, Nats missed out. Sox are turning him into a starter.
Why? Their rotation is stacked.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: February 09, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
Why? Their rotation is stacked.
For fun, I thought I'd write a post before I figured out which Sox you were talking about.  I originally wrote "this will allow Sale to possibly close," then I went to MLBTR and saw it was the Just As Evil Empire that signed him.  It's not for the major league rotation.  It is a split deal.  they have 2 years of control, too.  I think they feel they are a bit thin with rotation backups, and he is a low cost, high upside guy.  They may prefer Micheal (not Bolton) Bowden to relieve now.  It looks like a rotation of Lester - Beckett - Buchhholz - Lackey - DiceK, with Wakefield as long reliever / swing man, and minors league staff with Tazawa, Doubront, Bowden, Aceves, and I'm not sure. Pimental in AA may move up quickly.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #83: February 17, 2011, 04:24:34 AM »
Joba = Jabba

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Brian Cashman wouldn't weigh in on Joba Chamberlain's appearance.
The New York Yankees reliever reported for spring training visibly larger than last year. Cashman wouldn't give a direct answer when asked whether Chamberlain is in shape.

"He's heavier, I'll leave it at that," the general manager said Wednesday. "He works hard. He's a good kid. He's heavy."

Chamberlain worked out during the offseason in a gym at his house and feels he's in better shape than the past couple years.

"I feel great. I'm stronger physically and better in my bullpens," Chamberlain said. "Everybody is going to say weight, but scales are scales. I'm getting to know my body better. I'm to the point now where I feel comfortable enough to know what I need to do."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #84: February 17, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »
I feel bad about Joe Crede.
Crede, a Scott Boras client, missed the 2010 season after dealing with back, shoulder, forearm, leg, knee and hand injuries with the Twins in 2009.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #85: February 17, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
John Maine signs with Colorado Rockies

The Sports Network
The Colorado Rockies added some depth to their pitching staff on Thursday by agreeing to terms with veteran right- hander John Maine on a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.

The 29-year-old is expected to report to camp on Saturday.

Maine started only nine games while struggling with right rotator cuff tendinitis with the New York Mets in 2010 and went 1-3 with a 6.13 earned run average.

Maine pitched the last five seasons with the Mets with his best year coming in 2007 when he went 15-10 to go with a 3.91 ERA in 32 starts, spanning 191 innings. That year he struck out a career-high 180 batters, while walking 75.

Over parts of seven big league seasons, Maine is 41-36 with a 4.35 ERA in 108 games -- 105 starts -- with the Mets and Baltimore Orioles.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #86: February 18, 2011, 03:51:55 AM »
I saw this on MLBTRs and got a laugh out of it.

Crede, a Scott Boras client, missed the 2010 season after dealing with back, shoulder, forearm, leg, knee and hand injuries with the Twins in 2009. The former All-Star and Silver Slugger winner played strong defense (+21.6 UZR/150) and showed some power (15 homers in 367 plate appearances) with Minnesota. Crede has a .254/.304/.444 career line.

I mean wow, we thought Nick Johnson was the glass man? How do you injure your back, shoulder, forearm, leg, knee and hand all in the same season? All he's missing is a neck injury for the full body cast treatment. Obviously you have to feel bad for the poor guy, but that's the longest list of body parts injured in one season I have ever seen. I hope, well, not hope, but you know what I mean, that he was in a car crash or something, because if he accumulated all those injuries one by one, the guy must have something seriously wrong health wise.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #87: February 18, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/17/AR2011021706173.html

article on the Metspocalypse.  There is some talk that the Wilpons benefitted from Madoff's ponzi scheme and that some of Madoff's real victims will come after whatever money the Wilpons have left. 

The cynical side of me says all of the cries of poverty and victimhood by the Wilpons and the talk of them wanting to sell part of the team is just an effort to head off Madoff's other victims from coming after them.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: February 18, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »
Trustees tend to be a nice combination of heartless efficient and relentless, sooner or later he'll have to disgorge his profits at a minimum and possibly more depending on what the trustee can prove

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #89: February 18, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/17/AR2011021706173.html

article on the Metspocalypse.  There is some talk that the Wilpons benefitted from Madoff's ponzi scheme and that some of Madoff's real victims will come after whatever money the Wilpons have left. 

The cynical side of me says all of the cries of poverty and victimhood by the Wilpons and the talk of them wanting to sell part of the team is just an effort to head off Madoff's other victims from coming after them.

With owners out there like Loria and the Wilpons that are thieves and reprobates, I like the Nationals!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #90: February 18, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »

With owners out there like Loria and the Wilpons that are thieves and reprobates, I like the Nationals!

Shocking! But a rose by any other name.....

Online blue911

« Reply #91: February 18, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »

I'd prefer Steve Biscotti for two reasons:

1) He's named after a really good cookie

2) He admits his job is "to sign checks and stay out of Ozzie's way"

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: February 18, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I feel bad about Joe Crede.
Sounds like his upper arm and neck were A-OK.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #93: February 18, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
Sounds like his upper arm and neck were A-OK.

no groin injuries!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #94: February 18, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »
Shocking! But a rose by any other name.....

:lmao:

sanity / :clap:

« Reply #95: February 21, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
I hear Cliff Lee has already started to feel some sort of strain in his side. Not supposed to be big, but would Philly ever let on if it was?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #96: February 21, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
He goes through these minor early ST injuries a lot.

I imagine it's not that big of a deal... but you never know.

« Reply #97: February 21, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »
He goes through these minor early ST injuries a lot.

I imagine it's not that big of a deal... but you never know.

God that would be a Karma Bomb for Philly if they lost Lee. Not that I am wishing ill on the guy, but screw Philly.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #98: February 21, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »
I've seen people projecting them with a win total in the high '80s and low '90s - that's surprising to me.  With 4 pitchers like they have, 95 wins should be reasonable.

But then, they're all on the older side except for Hamels.  And their core position players are older and injury-prone, too.  It may be within the realm of possibility that they don't live up expectations and maybe even come in 2nd to the Braves in the EAst. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #99: February 21, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
God that would be a Karma Bomb for Philly if they lost Lee. Not that I am wishing ill on the guy, but screw Philly.

This.