Author Topic: CAPS Roster Set: Showtime Thursday Night!  (Read 6453 times)

Offline UMDNats

CAPS Roster Set: Showtime Thursday Night!
« Reply #25: October 05, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »
I'm hoping Saturday's home game will ignite them and theyll pick it back up.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #26: October 05, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »
3-1 boys!!!!! Told you you'd need the luck We are totally shutting down Ovechkin, NAH NAH NAH NAH, NAH NAH NAH NAH, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE! Well, there is one more period to go, so I take that back.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #27: October 05, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »
I hope the caps are not  not this bad. I had the same feelings last year though and they got better.  They cant put more than 2 passes together

« Reply #28: October 05, 2006, 09:42:16 PM »
First game jitters.  Nothing to worry about....yet.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #29: October 06, 2006, 03:41:21 AM »
No puck control & no offensive pressure on power plays.  Looks like last year to me.   :(  
The former will come with time...but the latter has to be addressed immediately.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #30: October 06, 2006, 07:30:07 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Bruin continues to deny that the Caps have an NHL defenseman....ever heard of

SHAONE MORRISONN?

Yep, he came from the Bruins, he wasn't an NHL caliber d-man for them and he's not now. The Caps got Pothier when Ted couldn't land Zdeno Chara, ever hear of Chara?

Look, if this corp of defense mature into a solid unit we'll be better off. Watching last night, you can't "DENY" that we have defensive holes. On the offensive side, Ovechkin/Zubrus/Zednek were no-shows. I thought Jags scoring on his first shift/shot (29 seconds in) was a funny shot to Teds' "plan".

Quote of the Day:
"Jagr has performed for the Rangers the way Caps fans hoped he would have performed in Washington." -  Dave Fay in this mornings Washington Times[/i]

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #31: October 07, 2006, 01:40:14 PM »
Please Caps, don't get hammered by the Canes tonight

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: October 07, 2006, 03:13:51 PM »
They Caps always play the Canes hard. It will be the Champs' 3rd game in 4 nights, and I expect the Caps to come out strong.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #33: October 09, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
Very good effort shown by the Caps Saturday. The attendance
still seems to be the achilles heel tho.....

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #34: October 09, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »
The attendance was solid, but whats more important is the type of fans. Totally electric arena. Every fan was into the game.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #35: October 10, 2006, 07:00:18 AM »
Less than a sell out (by ALOT) for a home opener is an issue.
The crowd that DID attend seemed good, but that will happen
for a home opener. The real test will be next week against the
Panthers. Mid week games give the hockey fans of DC an excuse
to dress up as empty seats.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #36: October 10, 2006, 09:19:41 AM »
Quote from: "Nats Bruin"

The club level seats are such a waste.  Best seats in the place go 90% unused.  I think they need to find a new price point

Nats Bruin

« Reply #37: October 10, 2006, 09:49:26 AM »
Quote from: "Dave B"

The club level seats are such a waste.  Best seats in the place go 90% unused.  I think they need to find a new price point

:lol:
Thats a product of being a tenant in your own building. I want Abe to sell the Bullets, but I don't want him to sell to Ted. The club level will stay the same price, especially since the front row down low price is THROUGH THE ROOF!

« Reply #38: October 10, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »
I love it when fans try to act all business-like and professional and have things like "attendance" ruin a game for them.  Your a fan, your sitting in a seat watching the team you hopefully cheer for, really, what else do you need to be happy?

Nats Bruin

« Reply #39: October 10, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
I love it when fans try to act all business-like and professional and have things like "attendance" ruin a game for them.  Your a fan, your sitting in a seat watching the team you hopefully cheer for, really, what else do you need to be happy?

Fans don't ruin games.....the game is now a business and THEREFORE ruins the game

« Reply #40: October 10, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"

Fans don't ruin games.....the game is now a business and THEREFORE ruins the game

Obviously you have some quirk with attendance or you wouldn't be constantly bringing it up as some weak excuse for a bad night at a Caps game.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #41: October 10, 2006, 12:23:49 PM »
"Obviously you have some quirk with attendance or you wouldn't be constantly bringing it up as some weak excuse for a bad night at a Caps game."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yea, I have a quirk all right! Its not an excuse, its fact. Attendance at a Caps game is lacking. Thats all I said. The facts are clear, the building is half empty most nights, and the nights where the crowds are good, most of them are wearing the jersey of the other team. I simply said, 16K + isn't good for an opening night IMO.

« Reply #42: October 10, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »
"Obviously you have some quirk with attendance or you wouldn't be constantly bringing it up as some weak excuse for a bad night at a Caps game."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yea, I have a quirk all right! Its not an excuse, its fact. Attendance at a Caps game is lacking. Thats all I said. The facts are clear, the building is half empty most nights, and the nights where the crowds are good, most of them are wearing the jersey of the other team. I simply said, 16K + isn't good for an opening night IMO.

Good for your opinion and thank you for stating a fact Captain Obvious.  Why even bring it up?

(Damn, I almost keep forgetting....)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nats Bruin

« Reply #43: October 10, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »
O you're a funny guy, aren't you supposed to be in class?

If you don't know, it must not be obvious eh?
 :lol:  :lol:

Attendance is an important issue for potential FAs that are eligible to come and play in Washington. Who's going to want to play in front of a half empty building every night? O thats right Mark Messier didn't want to, you might of heard of him.
 8)

« Reply #44: October 10, 2006, 01:33:13 PM »
O you're a funny guy, aren't you supposed to be in class?

If you don't know, it must not be obvious eh?
 :lol:  :lol:

Attendance is an important issue for potential FAs that are eligible to come and play in Washington. Who's going to want to play in front of a half empty building every night? O thats right Mark Messier didn't want to, you might of heard of him.
 8)

You keep dodging my original question:  Why does attendance take anything away from the fact the Caps had a big Opening Night win against the defending champs?

Of course attendance matters on some levels.  But you are Joe Blow fan.  You are not a member of the organization nor do you benefit from the money that attendance could bring (unless you are head of a nearby business but considering you don't live in DC, your not).  So what does it really matter?

Nats Bruin

« Reply #45: October 10, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »
"Why does attendance take anything away from the fact the Caps had a big Opening Night win against the defending champs?"

I never said it took away from anything. I said it was a very good effort. Somebody else came back and replied "the attendance was solid" which wasn't the case. They listed a figure of 16K+ and thats well below capacity. The person also said that the arena was "electric" which must have been a  
lie because I've spoken to several people who went to the game (including my Caps sales rep) and they all said it was a sparse showing with alot of fans disguised as empty seats. Yes they played the SCC...funny how the cup winners don't even draw a full house.  :lol:

"Of course attendance matters on some levels. But you are Joe Blow fan. You are not a member of the organization nor do you benefit from the money that attendance could bring (unless you are head of a nearby business but considering you don't live in DC, your not). So what does it really matter?"

Again, you don't know anything about me and you're telling me what kind of fan I am. I was a STH for years and turned them in after the lock-out, I own a home down there and live in VA part-time so yes I do benefit quite a bit. I lived thru many seasons in an empty rink so I know what I'm talking about. Don't think attendance down there is important? Lets chat about that playoff series with Tampa a few years back......if you can't sell out a SC playoff game......its embarassing.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #46: October 10, 2006, 03:27:09 PM »
Attendance is somewhat a concern for the competitiveness of the team.

I don't like going to games in a half empty stadium, because I go for the energy of the crowd. Otherwise I just assume stay home and watch  on TV.

It is a concern, I dont know if it warrants being stated, because it is a fairly obvious problem.

BFD, the caps didnt sell out the opener to the champs.  Please it is the Carolina Hurricanes.  Being in the SE division I think is hurting the Caps at the gate.  They are the only non expansion/non relocated team in the conference.  They have no histories with these teams. The teams might be quality, but I can;t get over the fact that they seem like minor league teams.

I think I bought tickets to 14 games this year.  Maybe 4 of them are SE division teams. I just dont want to see them.  I dont get up for the games and neither did the caps last year. They were terrible against bad teams like the panthers, but played well against the rangers, flyers, leafs, etc.  Maybe I need to get over this prejudice, but I can't. I dont know if anybody else feels the same way.  Maybe for the casual fan if someone were to ask them if they wanted to go to a game, they might ask "who are they playing" when the answer is "the lightning" the answer might be "wtf". However if the opposing team were a legitimate city (NY, Boston, Pitt, Phi)  with a team somebody has heard of they might say "yes"

I think the Caps attendance needs to be judged on a competitive season in Washington as it is now.  The place has grown so much since they were in the playoffs last. I think. I only moved here 2.5 years ago.

They'll probably never sell out on a consistent basis, but the 16k  the other night was enough for me, just so long as it doesnt become 10k-11k (which it might for some games).

There might be more people willing to go, just not for the prices charged

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #47: October 10, 2006, 05:20:42 PM »
Do you really expect a sell-out for a CAPS home opener after a close to last place finish in a Redskins town? no.
I'm just happy with the win, and the fact that the QUALITY of the fans is what really matters.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #48: October 11, 2006, 07:07:17 AM »
I expect more than 16K on an OPENING NIGHT, yes!
I don't know if you know about QUALITY when you just
called all us Caps fans BANDWAGONERS!
 :(  :(

« Reply #49: October 11, 2006, 07:32:50 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Do you really expect a sell-out for a CAPS home opener after a close to last place finish in a Redskins town? no.
I'm just happy with the win, and the fact that the QUALITY of the fans is what really matters.

I mean really, did any NHL team have an Opening Night sell out?