Author Topic: Bryce Harper artwork  (Read 10486 times)

Offline cincysportsart

Bryce Harper artwork
« Topic Start: January 03, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
Just wanted to pass along an in-progress pic of a watercolor painting I'm working on, featuring Bryce Harper. 

I'm not planning on completely finishing the painting until Spring Training, as teams have expressed interest in the artwork...should Harper wind up on their roster.  So, I'm just working on the non-uniform areas first, and then once it's announced officially where Harper will start the '11 season, I'll finish up the uniform portion of the painting.  If it doesn't work out with either of the MiLB teams, I will be finishing the painting with Harper in one of the Nats new uniforms.

Anyways, just wanted to share my latest work with you guys.  There's a lot to be optimistic about with this organization!

Thanks,
Jason
Cincinnati Sports Art

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Bryce Harper artwork
« Reply #1: January 03, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »
Very awesome.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: January 03, 2011, 11:03:53 PM »
Great work on Harper's face.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: January 03, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »
Wow that's really great. Thanks for sharing with us.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #4: January 03, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
I came in this thread expecting either a joke, spam, or some fanboys MSPaint drawing and expected to be full of sardonic wit. But I have to say, that is truly a masterful piece of art you've done. The intensity of his face is captivating. I'm sure its something you master when it's your line of work such as it is, painting athletes, and likely other pieces have similar facial expressions, but regardless, that is a marvelous piece. You have an amazing level of talent, and I think using watercolors made the piece that much better. Has your studio done other National's players in the past? I'd be truly enthused to see your work on Strasburg if you did one, which I'd have to figure the odds are pretty good you did.

Anyway, really, excellent work.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #5: January 03, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
Nm, found the Strasburg piece.

You have some amazing pieces, but I'm not sure the coloring came out well on Strasburg's face. I mean absolutely no offense, hell, I can't even draw a stick man that looks decent, but the coloring in the face, it almost looks like Zombie Strasburg. Although there's the perfect zombie battery. The ever undead Zombie Jesus Flores now has a partner in crime. :) like I say, I truly mean no offense, as you are immensely talented. So please don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure everyone on the forums looks forward to you posting future paintings of Nats players in the years to come, as both pieces are phenomenal. Just the coloring on Strasburg's face is unusual to my totally unartistic eyes.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #6: January 03, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
I quite like the Strasburg picture.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: January 03, 2011, 11:27:08 PM »
It might be the photo flash. It's a badass painting otherwise. How much do these run (mostly curiousity, probably can't afford them).

Offline Coladar

« Reply #8: January 04, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »
It might be the photo flash. It's a badass painting otherwise. How much do these run (mostly curiousity, probably can't afford them).

Could be, although what throws me off is the flesh tones on the neck. That's a huge color difference between neck and face, and mitigates the likelihood of flash brightening the colors dramatically. But aside from the coloration, I totally agree, it's an incredible artistic rendering of Strasburg and captures him perfectly. And like I said, that Harper piece is a genuine masterpiece. This artist clearly has an immense level of talent, so like I have already stated, I truly hope my criticism isn't taken the wrong way. I mean absolutely no offense.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: January 04, 2011, 12:43:32 AM »
Could be, although what throws me off is the flesh tones on the neck. That's a huge color difference between neck and face, and mitigates the likelihood of flash brightening the colors dramatically. But aside from the coloration, I totally agree, it's an incredible artistic rendering of Strasburg and captures him perfectly. And like I said, that Harper piece is a genuine masterpiece. This artist clearly has an immense level of talent, so like I have already stated, I truly hope my criticism isn't taken the wrong way. I mean absolutely no offense.

Might be artistic interpretation of the shadow coming off Strasburg's hat.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #10: January 04, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
You didn't quite capture the inverted W in Strasburg's delivery.

(too soon?)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #11: January 04, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
You didn't quite capture the inverted W in Strasburg's delivery.

(too soon?)

Nah, I don't think it's too soon for that. Just don't make any snide comments about Strasburg running around the Dominican Republic shooting at random people. That's too soon. We'll never forget... The victims of Orioles senseless killing rampages.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #12: January 05, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
Nm, found the Strasburg piece. (Image removed from quote.)

You have some amazing pieces, but I'm not sure the coloring came out well on Strasburg's face. I mean absolutely no offense, hell, I can't even draw a stick man that looks decent, but the coloring in the face, it almost looks like Zombie Strasburg. Although there's the perfect zombie battery. The ever undead Zombie Jesus Flores now has a partner in crime. :) like I say, I truly mean no offense, as you are immensely talented. So please don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure everyone on the forums looks forward to you posting future paintings of Nats players in the years to come, as both pieces are phenomenal. Just the coloring on Strasburg's face is unusual to my totally unartistic eyes.

I was thinking the same thing, even before reading your remarks.

cincysportsart - Seriously good stuff.  Except for the coloring on Strasburg's face, which makes me wonder whether he's concentrating on making the batter chase a curveball in the dirt or killing him with a fastball then eating his brain.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #13: January 06, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, even before reading your remarks.

cincysportsart - Seriously good stuff.  Except for the coloring on Strasburg's face, which makes me wonder whether he's concentrating on making the batter chase a curveball in the dirt or killing him with a fastball then eating his brain.

We have a new plot line for Walking Dead next season. Zombie baseball.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: January 06, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
We have a new plot line for Walking Dead next season. Zombie baseball.
John Patterson bites and kills Shawn Hill, who turns into a zombie and has Jesus Flores for lunch. Flores in turn has a taste for UCLs and thins out Stras's before it snaps. Stras is the most powerful zombie of all. . .

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #15: January 06, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
I think he should do all his watercolors with the zombie motif.  It would be unique, at the very least.

Offline tripan1035

« Reply #16: January 07, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »
And no warpaint on the face, nice job.  Makes him look like a pro.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #17: January 09, 2011, 10:35:03 PM »
Yeah, the Strasburg is still in-progress as well...and have no fear, the coloring and tones on his face are merely the initial layers and colors.  I will be adding more browns and reds in there to "liven" things up a bit.  For whatever reason, companies don't sell flesh toned color watercolor paints, so it's a constant battle to play around with the reds, whites, browns, etc. to find the right "mix" for each person.  Obviously each and every person has different skin tones, and I do my best to capture each.  Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the Harper and Strasburg pieces, I sincerlely appreciate it!  I'll do my best to post updated pics for both as they are available.  The Strasburg piece I actually have something special in mind, as once the figure portion is completed, I am going to cut it out and mount it, and then paint a background on canvas and attach his figure to this canvas...giving a sort of 3d effect.

And to answer someone's post from earlier...a piece around this size in watercolors runs around $200 - depending on the number of images, materials required, etc.  If anyone's interested, send me a message, as I'm always happy to take on new commissions.  I'll also post a pic of a painting I donated to the ziMS Foundation this past fall (2010).  I will have prints available for this painting very soon!  And sorry for the delay in replaying to the posts...for some reason I guess I forgot to click the "notify me of replies" box.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #18: January 09, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
Thank you for your charity and for your contribution to the arts. $200 might make a nice birthday present for my son when he's 5 in about 4 years :mg:

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #19: January 09, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »
Here's the Zimmerman painting.  Enjoy.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #20: January 09, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Granted, it's in SF, but it's the photo the ziMS Foudation picked out...and all-in-all, it's one of my favorites pieces.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #21: January 09, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »
what's going on in the BG? are those fishes?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #22: January 09, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Cartoon cars - perfect for a kids room.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #23: January 09, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
It's the LF wall in SF...I think a huge Chevron ad if I'm not mistaken.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #24: January 09, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »
It's the LF wall in SF...I think a huge Chevron ad if I'm not mistaken.

Oh haha I thought it was artistic license :-[