Author Topic: Strasburg come back! (Official Stephen Strasburg Road to Return thread)  (Read 52377 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I think you let Strassy's arm dictate the pace of the recovery. Just because he's behind JZ at this point doesn't mean much.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
IIRC, didn't JZ have a set back at one point after he started throwing?  He started his first gaem in the minors on 7/3.  He was up to 5 innings in the minors before the end of the month.  If Stras gets in a few starts in the minors in August, no reason not to start a few in the majors in September.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
All I know is JZ looked awesome last night.  It's really unfortunate he was unlucky loser in the match last night. 

Offline Kevrock

All I know is JZ looked awesome last night.  It's really unfortunate he was unlucky loser in the match last night. 

Yep. He looked great.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Yes, I think we can all agree on that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Yes, I think we can all agree on that.

Like I've always said - when this team does good it deserves all the praise it can get.  JZimm deserved a standing ovation for his performance last night. 

Offline Mr Clean

Haven't seen any news lately. Hopefully things are going smoothly for him.

Offline imref

he's been hanging out with Dibble's dad, playing golf. :)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
he's been hanging out with Dibble's dad, playing golf flog. :)

BAD DIBBLE!

Offline DPMOmaha

*fingers crossed*  Sounds like things are progressing nicely.  *knock on wood*

Stephen Strasburg is “close” to reaching a significant milestone in his recovery from Tommy John surgery by throwing off a mound again, Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty said this afternoon. Strasburg is in the final stages of his long-toss program, which he began Jan. 31, and the Nationals are comfortable with his progress

“Everything is going along fine,” McCatty said this afternoon. “I know he’s close to throwing off the mound. I’m sure he’s getting close to it. I know there were some discussions about it. It will be shortly. Everything has been going fine.”

McCatty spoke with Strasburg recently and, “he said he feels great,” McCatty said. “I know he’s bored. I know he’s probably going nuts. But he’s sticking with it.”

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Don't let him onto a big league mound till 2012, please.

Not worth the few extra dollars it'd bring in.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

You're forgetting our owners.

Offline John

I'm okay with him coming back in September.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Don't let him onto a big league mound till 2012, please.

I think there's more to it than that. A good portion of the recovery is psychological as in, "can I still do it in a game situation?". I'm not suggesting he come in and become our #1 starter and pitching a lot of innings, I just think that getting him some starts like they did Zimnn is probably the right thing to do. That will give him some confidence going into spring training next season.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Terpfan76 is on to something.  I forget if JZ said this or another pitcher coming back from TJ said it, but a pitcher has a more normal offseason if he comes back and actually pitches in the majors for a few innings than if he does not make it back before the end of the season.   If he can get back to 4 - 5 IP two to three times in September, it would be a lot less than what JZ was doing in the minors last year.

Part of me wants to see Stras and Harper play in the AFL this fall just to see what punishment they could inflict.

Offline blue911

Terpfan76 is on to something.  I forget if JZ said this or another pitcher coming back from TJ said it, but a pitcher has a more normal offseason if he comes back and actually pitches in the majors for a few innings than if he does not make it back before the end of the season.   If he can get back to 4 - 5 IP two to three times in September, it would be a lot less than what JZ was doing in the minors last year.

Part of me wants to see Stras and Harper play in the AFL this fall just to see what punishment they could inflict.

Strasburg won't be eligible for the AFL.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Strasburg won't be eligible for the AFL.
have not checked the rules. I thought guys coming off injuries could play, especially if they have minimal MLB time.  I suppose he isn't a rookie, so maybe that's too much time.  still, couldn't they say he is a new prospect, Thor Norsegod, that they signed from Norway, and let him pitch?

Offline imref

amazing to think that he probably wouldn't have made much of a difference this year anyway given how our starting staff has pitched.

Offline blue911

have not checked the rules. I thought guys coming off injuries could play, especially if they have minimal MLB time.  I suppose he isn't a rookie, so maybe that's too much time.  still, couldn't they say he is a new prospect, Thor Norsegod, that they signed from Norway, and let him pitch?

A year a service time by August 31st, will keep him out. I guess the Nats could request an exemption (ala Harper) but I doubt that is an option. There is the Fall Instructional League, which I believe allows rehab players

Bass fishing heals all wounds.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
A year a service time by August 31st, will keep him out. I guess the Nats could request an exemption (ala Harper) but I doubt that is an option. There is the Fall Instructional League, which I believe allows rehab players

Wang and even Webb pitched in FIL

Offline Kevrock

I think there's more to it than that. A good portion of the recovery is psychological as in, "can I still do it in a game situation?". I'm not suggesting he come in and become our #1 starter and pitching a lot of innings, I just think that getting him some starts like they did Zimnn is probably the right thing to do. That will give him some confidence going into spring training next season.

I like how they handled Zimmermann. I've come 180 degrees on this, but I wouldn't mind if Strasburg sees mounds this fall if his physical health and conditioning dictate that he is ready to be back. I'm not sure that it's safer to lengthen his recovery time for the sake of doing it, as opposed to letting his recovery progress at its natural rate.

Doctors' call I'm sure.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Wang and even Webb pitched in FIL

Where is Wang?  I haven't seen any news from him since early April.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
You're forgetting our owners.
To suggest that the team would risk his health in any way, shape or form for a few dollars is insane.

This guy has the chance to really pay off for this team if they keep him healthy.