Author Topic: Strasburg come back! (Official Stephen Strasburg Road to Return thread)  (Read 52386 times)

Offline Sharp

I think the Nats (and by "the Nats" I mean Riggleman) are saying that because all their prior tests reported no structural arm damage, and then, BAM!  TJ surgery.  I doubt that Riggleman is really giving a qualified medical opinion on the subject.  However, since Strasburg's new UCL is made from a thicker, tougher tendon, it is extremely unlikely that he breaks it again even if exactly the same motion is utilized.  Personally I see no reason for him not to continue using his changeup as he was as long as it is an effective pitch for him.  Using a lot of offspeed pitches doesn't make you a junkballer, it just means your offspeed pitches are really, really good.  No reason to go away from that just because you have a 100 mph fastball.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I'm just hoping Strasburg returns the way Josh Johnson returned from TJ surgery.

We didn't blow a number one pick on another Josh Johnson.  We spent it on a phenom.

I want Stephen Strasburg to come back as Stephen Strasburg.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
I don't buy the "one-pitch" theory that Rizzo is pushing. The seeds for elbow injuries are planted way before they happen, often in youth. A pitcher who is over-used in High School could require TJ years later. I know Strasburg spent much of his youth out of shape, maybe he threw too much too hard for his body type in High School. Who knows?

We had a good discussion about his changeup before. It's really hard to say without having access to very good film. Hopefully the Nats have state-of-the-art film and bio-mechanical analysis equipment, but I have no idea. Someone with access to a pitcher interview should ask.

The Nats are pretty ho-hum about his mechanics in interviews, but I would hope they are doing their due-diligence behind closed doors.

If it was one pitch, they should be doing everything possible to find out what he did on that one particular pitch that caused injury.  Did he come off the mound differently?  Was the ball slipping out of his hand?  Did a butterfly flap its wings in Kansas?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
If it was one pitch, they should be doing everything possible to find out what he did on that one particular pitch that caused injury.  Did he come off the mound differently?  Was the ball slipping out of his hand?  Did a butterfly flap its wings in Kansas?

If it was the changeup it's probably just dumb luck.  There really isn't a lot of extra torque on the elbow with a changeup.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
We didn't blow a number one pick on another Josh Johnson.  We spent it on a phenom.

And we had that for a few months.  If they mess with his mojo on the mound I'll be happy if we end up with a Josh Johnson.  Sadly the 6.8.2010 Stephen Strasburg is all but a memory for us now.  The artist is still here but the mystique is gone.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Tim Brandt says Strasburg will be back on the hill in August.  Assuming his recovery goes to plan, that makes sense, it's a year after surgery.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Maybe in the minors.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Maybe in the minors.

If he comes back this year it's going to be a disaster.  Much like my Wang being washed-up avatar bet I'll take one on that too.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
If he comes back this year it's going to be a disaster.  Much like my Wang being washed-up avatar bet I'll take one on that too.

Like Zimmermann? I don't think anyone expects Strasburg to come back at the end of the season and dominate, I think most of us just want to see him come back and pitch some relatively meaningless innings just to get some work in. It seems as though that's part of the psychological aspect of Tommy John rehab. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Like Zimmermann? I don't think anyone expects Strasburg to come back at the end of the season and dominate, I think most of us just want to see him come back and pitch some relatively meaningless innings just to get some work in. It seems as though that's part of the psychological aspect of Tommy John rehab. 

My issue is more with the "Strasmas Mania" that the FO will drum up to sell tickets once we're in the cellar in August/September.

Online imref

agreed, if he follows a normal rehab he'll be back in the majors in August, assuming no set backs why not go the same route as J-Zimm and get some major league starts in before the season ends.  And yes, from a marketing stand-point it will be very cool if we close out 2011 with Strasburg and Harper on the club.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
August?!? That's not normal at all. Rehab lasts 12-18 months. JZ was the exception, not the rule. People need to get their expectations in check.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
August?!? That's not normal at all. Rehab lasts 12-18 months. JZ was the exception, not the rule. People need to get their expectations in check.

Agreed.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
People need to get their expectations in check.

Like the front office.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
 Too many young pitchers are having to have that surgery, once they get in the Majors, like Zimmermann, Strasburg, etc. Something just doesn't seem right about that. Too much pressure to throw fastballs at 95mph or above. or what? Or are they being taught poor pitching mechanics.......that causes the wear?               :popcorn:

Offline houston-nat

Guys, I've done the math. If Strasburg follows Jordan Zimmermann's schedule exactly, he should be back in the major leagues for one or two weeks, maximum, at the end of September or beginning of October. I think it would be reasonable to expect him to make at most two starts, if he makes any. They might just let him finish his season in Harrisburg and then get ready for winter.

Online imref

Joe nathan, at what, 34?, came back in a year as did zimm

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
12-18 months. Not sure what else needs to be said.

Offline JMUalumni

Yeah, I agree with what others have said.  He won't be back in August.  Zimmermann had surgery August 19, 2009 and returned on August 26, 2010 and that is as quick as you can expect anyone to return.  If Stras had surgery on September 3, 2010, then it follows he will not be back until the first week of September at the VERY earliest.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Maybe throwing in the GCL in August, not the majors.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Stephen Strasburg has not yet thrown off a mound in his rehab from Tommy John surgery, which places him slightly behind the schedule Jordan Zimmermann followed one year ago. That does not necessarily portend any problem with Strasburg’s recovery, but it might mean he’s more likely to return next season than this one

:?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/stephen-strasburg-yet-to-throw-off-a-mound/2011/04/13/AFvFByYD_blog.html

Offline hammondsnats

hopefully strasburg looks @ JZ tonight as a confidence builder.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I'd come out right now and rule him out for this year. Let him take the rehab slowly.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
This is probably the best course of action.  I believe JZ had a few starts in the minors before coming up to DC.  We should have Stras do the same and see some innings in AA towards the end of the year if he's ready at that point.  No reason to rush him back in September just to pitch in the majors - we're probably headed for a historically bad season of 45 wins anyway with several players managing to bat under .200 for the season, anyway, and Rizzo is a moron and bring back Dunn, etc.