Author Topic: Payroll Flexibility.....  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
Re: Payroll Flexibility.....
« Reply #75: December 21, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »
All this hemming and hawing about payroll, cheapness, etc. 

I'm pretty certain I read somewhere (I Can't recall now) that of the eight playoff teams you almost always end up with three teams from the top ten in payroll, three teams from the middle ten in payroll and two teams from the bottom ten in payroll.

Other than the Yankees, payroll doesn't mean nearly as much as everyone whines about.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: December 21, 2010, 09:20:01 AM »
I think I heard something else.  While you get lower budget teams doing well almost every year, for consistency in making the playoffs, budget is the best predictor, especially if you throw out the Mets. I can't find the graph that shows this right now (wasn't where I looked), but someone twiddling their thumbs at home could look at the past decade, the 8 playoff teams each year, and their rank in payroll using the USAToday website.

Offline blue911

« Reply #77: December 21, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »
I think I heard something else.  While you get lower budget teams doing well almost every year, for consistency in making the playoffs, budget is the best predictor, especially if you throw out the Mets. I can't find the graph that shows this right now (wasn't where I looked), but someone twiddling their thumbs at home could look at the past decade, the 8 playoff teams each year, and their rank in payroll using the USAToday website.

I could but that would mean you'd have to do some work.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #78: December 21, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/09/26/sports/20090926-score-graphic.html

Obviously, you need to spend money wisely to be successful (and for the record, signing Werth the was the exact move I didn't want them to make, nor was signing Tex, but that's another story.) But there is clearly a correlation between spending and being competitive. Bowden declared at one of the fanfests that the Yankees are an example of the fact that spending a lot of money doesn't guarantee you a championship. That's true, but spending money can help prevent being a losing joke every year. This graph pretty much shows the impact of remaining below the average in payroll on a consistent basis.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: December 21, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
I could but that would mean you'd have to do some work.
Heaven forbid.  I'll start -

NYY playoffs 9 out of 10 years, #1 in payroll.
Red Sox playoffs, 6 out of 10 years (missed 2001, 2002, 2006, and 2010), probably top 5 in payroll every year in that stretch but need to check.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #81: December 21, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/12/plenty-of-money-still-to-spend.html

:clap: If Zuckerman says the offer to Lee was there, I believe it. I think Werth and Lee did have a handshake agreement of some sort. Pavano, DLee, and another couple of trades and we'll all be riverdancing on top of the 3rd base dugout.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #82: December 21, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
:clap: If Zuckerman says the offer to Lee was there, I believe it. I think Werth and Lee did have a handshake agreement of some sort. Pavano, DLee, and another couple of trades and we'll all be riverdancing on top of the 3rd base dugout.

Yes, all 8,000 of us in attendance on average.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #83: December 21, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
:popcorn:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: December 21, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
 :nts:

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
« Reply #85: December 21, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
 :hurr:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
« Reply #86: December 23, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
With Burnett re-signing instead of going to arbitration... the payroll is now up to 44.4 million.