Author Topic: Jayson Werth signs w/ Nationals for 7y/$126m  (Read 31855 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Jayson Werth signs w/ Nationals for 7y/$126m
« Reply #150: December 05, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »
Werth it.

Yeah, giving up a draft pick should not be a concern. The concern is whether there are subsequent moves that are actually significant. This team had money coming off the books, so they had plenty of room before they start going over what they spent last season, and they are still way below where they should be in that category. They better not be thinking that this is anywhere near enough. They still have a ways to go to even sniff .500.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #151: December 05, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
Agreed. That's not the worry. The worry is that this is the end of the serious moves.

I'm not worried about no more moves, I just want them to make the RIGHT moves.

The next big move really needs to be a trade for Greinke or Shields (or is he not available any more?).

Offline natstime

« Reply #152: December 05, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
could anyone see them bringing up marrero after the all star break and platooning him with pena or laroche?

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #153: December 05, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
could anyone see them bringing up marrero after the all star break and platooning him with pena or laroche?
Not if we are close to being in the hunt.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #154: December 05, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
Rizzo had to have talked about the " Other" transactions that he was involved with to have Worth sign with the Nats so soon.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #155: December 05, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
Holy crap. That is a lot of money, but I love the move. This absolutely makes up for losing Dunn and it shows for certain that this team will indeed spend money. Very excellent.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #156: December 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Yeah, giving up a draft pick should not be a concern. The concern is whether there are subsequent moves that are actually significant. This team had money coming off the books, so they had plenty of room before they start going over what they spent last season, and they are still way below where they should be in that category. They better not be thinking that this is anywhere near enough. They still have a ways to go to even sniff .500.

I think they have to know this. The Winter Meetings are still coming up - and given how insanely quiet the front office has been, one has to wonder if there's another business in the works. I'd like to see both Webb and Wang, I'd frankly like them to pick the cheaper of LaRoche/Pena, and then save the rest of the money.

For Zach Greinke's contract extension.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #157: December 05, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »
Werth is willing to be a Nat for the rest of his career. Gotta like the guy for that alone.

Offline JMaddyNatty

« Reply #158: December 05, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
I think they have to know this. The Winter Meetings are still coming up - and given how insanely quiet the front office has been, one has to wonder if there's another business in the works. I'd like to see both Webb and Wang, I'd frankly like them to pick the cheaper of LaRoche/Pena, and then save the rest of the money.

For Zach Greinke's contract extension.

Haha, I couldn't agree more! Love the last part.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #159: December 05, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
Werth is willing to be a Nat for the rest of his career. Gotta like the guy for that alone.

That's a hell of a comfort, isn't it?

Also, no mention of a no trade.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #160: December 05, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
At this point I'm whatever. Can't get any worse really. The best thing paying that much for him can do is make the Nationals a more attractive destination money wise. The Dunn no-sign was such a joke, though, that the Werth deal still cant go as far as to make us look like a team serious about winning.

Offline RD

« Reply #161: December 05, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
I can't even begin to read through everything because the negativity is amazing.

First of all, this isn't going to be the only signing of a position player. A 1st baseman will be signed. So all the nagging about this only being a slight improvement over Dunn, just stop. Werth plus Pena or LaRoche is a MASSIVE improvement over Dunn.

Id like to say that I never bought into all the negativity about Dunns defensive ability, or lack thereof. He's a 1st baseman for crying out loud. I don't give a damn about his range. Most first basemen don't have any. That's part of the reason they are at first. I know he could pick a few more balls, but at the same time, he height did give us some benefits on high throws. So Im not one of the people who believe you give up 50 points in BA and 15 home runs, just to improve defense.

With that said, this is a very good signing because Werth is a better player than Dunn, plain and simple. On offense, you can talk about less home runs, better BA ... But the OPS comes about just about similar. Werth still walks quite a bit, just not as much as Dunn. He gets more hits though.

An aspect many haven't mentioned is that Werth is a very good base runner. He's not going to come here and steal 50 bags, but he'll steal 15-20 AND take a lot of extra bases in comparison to Dunn.

Only then do you factor in his defense. He is a very good outfielder. While it's hard to compare the defensive upgrade from an OF to a 1B, he does make us better in RF because of his defensive ability.

Also, the guy is a winner. He plays hard, and is feisty. He's not going to let his teammates drag their asses on the field. He's been to the post season and had some success. He brings some things to the team we have not had, and things that Dunn did not possess.

I understand the question about the 7 years, as I question it a bit too. Let's face it though, that is the price of having to climb the ladder. The Yankees and Red Sox don't need to do that. Ill take getting into the playoffs in two years and being a playoff contender for giving Werth an extra year or two on the deal.

But, who's to say what Werth will be in 2016-2017?

Raul Ibanez is a solid player in the OF at 38 right now. Werth is a good athlete, and while that will decline, it should allow him to still be capable of playing the OF in 7 years. Not to mention, there is the possibility of him moving to 1b for his last year or two. Hell, in 3 years, if a couple of our kids have proven to be big league ready, we could move him to the Yanks or Sox and not even worry about the tail of the deal. There no reason to cry now about 6 years from now.

This move upgrades the team. There is no question about that. Be happy. We've invested in youth for the long term, and we just invested in the now for the team. I don't know what more you could want.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #162: December 05, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »
Someone's going to make a "We're not Werthy" smiley. 

:worship: <-- this guy and a picture of Werth. You know it's gonna happen.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #163: December 05, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »
I couldn't believe my eyes when I got this notification in my e-mail today.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #164: December 05, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
I can't even begin to read through everything because the negativity is amazing.[...]

I understand the question about the 7 years, as I question it a bit too. Let's face it though, that is the price of having to climb the ladder. The Yankees and Red Sox don't need to do that. Ill take getting into the playoffs in two years and being a playoff contender for giving Werth an extra year or two on the deal.

But, who's to say what Werth will be in 2016-2017?

Raul Ibanez is a solid player in the OF at 38 right now. Werth is a good athlete, and while that will decline, it should allow him to still be capable of playing the OF in 7 years. Not to mention, there is the possibility of him moving to 1b for his last year or two. Hell, in 3 years, if a couple of our kids have proven to be big league ready, we could move him to the Yanks or Sox and not even worry about the tail of the deal. There no reason to cry now about 6 years from now.

This move upgrades the team. There is no question about that. Be happy. We've invested in youth for the long term, and we just invested in the now for the team. I don't know what more you could want.

You are awesome, RD. If you're new, welcome. If you're not, post more often. :)

Offline Upark25

« Reply #165: December 05, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »
The Lerners are cheap no longer!!!!!

Offline JMaddyNatty

« Reply #166: December 05, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
Well said RD. Most people just assume Werth will be worthless (sorry) at the end of his contract. I know he won't be as valuable then as he is now, but that's the cost of doing business. So much negativity.

Offline Upark25

« Reply #167: December 05, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
I'll take Werth/Pena over Dunn/Morgan anyday especially if Pena can have a rebound year.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #168: December 05, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »
Well said RD. Most people just assume Werth will be worthless (sorry) at the end of his contract. I know he won't be as valuable then as he is now, but that's the cost of doing business. So much negativity.

He could be a Giambi or Stairs or even an Ibanez, we just don't know till we find out.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #169: December 05, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
nowi gotta ask, what was so horrible about keeping Dunn AND signing Werth?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #170: December 05, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »
nowi gotta ask, what was so horrible about keeping Dunn AND signing Werth?

Honestly, it could be about trading a 2nd round pick for a first, it does make a difference.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #171: December 05, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
We would have had to overpay anyways, but I think we probably paid even more than we would have for other top free agents because we're in the NL East.

This is a very nice signing for us because he knows our division's pitchers.

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #172: December 05, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »

Pfff.  Not like he's doing it pro bono.  Odds are he won't finish the contract here anyway.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #173: December 05, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
I don't know what more you could want.

No one should complain about the acquisition of Werth in and of itself. It is a net upgrade, but not a huge net upgrade. This team took money off the books and lost offensive production with the loss of Dunn. This plugs the hole. And in at least the first several years, the net increase in payroll isn't a huge amount over what it would have taken to keep Dunn. So, great, they did what they needed to do in the near term to secure the services of a legit talent - they significantly exceeded the market.

In terms of what more could we want? Well, considering they haven't even built their payroll commitments back up to last year's level much less exceeded it, nor have they significantly improved the team in areas where they really need it, we can certainly want and expect a lot more. In terms of this one deal, it is what it is - the acquisition of a talented player with what the organization itself has consistently labeled a high-risk contract. In isolation, this move is at least doing what they feel they need to to try and improve. But most of us want a legitimate commitment to winning, and this deal by itself doesn't do that.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #174: December 05, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
SSB, they can't do the whole offseason in one day. If they can sign Pena/LaRoche and swing a big trade for premium starting pitching, or if they fail to address any of those needs, we can have this conversation again, but right now, the Lerners/Rizzo are like a baby learning to climb a staircase. They've gotten up the first step.