Author Topic: Chief's Holiday Wishlist  (Read 1891 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Chief's Holiday Wishlist
« Topic Start: December 02, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
1) Please stop behaving so boorishly.  I'm tired of wading through poster feuds during my daily reading, and I'm sure others are as well.

2) Please stop bringing up politics or "political" issues in non-political threads.  I don't care what made you think of it, take it to the one and only thread that is appropriate for that stuff.

3) Please stop derailing threads.  I'm not asking anyone to stay on-topic 100% of the time, but drawn-out tangents about Dunn or pitching in the wrong thread when threads already exist for both subjects creates a lot of extra work for me.

Thanks.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Chief's Holiday Wishlist
« Reply #1: December 02, 2010, 02:07:20 PM »

Oops, is that off topic? :mg:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: December 02, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
1) Please stop behaving so boorishly.  I'm tired of wading through poster feuds during my daily reading, and I'm sure others are as well.

2) Please stop bringing up politics or "political" issues in non-political threads.  I don't care what made you think of it, take it to the one and only thread that is appropriate for that stuff.

3) Please stop derailing threads.  I'm not asking anyone to stay on-topic 100% of the time, but drawn-out tangents about Dunn or pitching in the wrong thread when threads already exist for both subjects creates a lot of extra work for me and the rest of the moderators.

Thanks.

Fixed.      :mg:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: December 02, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »

roger.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: December 02, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #5: December 03, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
Please stop derailing threads.  I'm not asking anyone to stay on-topic 100% of the time, but drawn-out tangents about Dunn or pitching in the wrong thread when threads already exist for both subjects creates a lot of extra work for me.

Your message board, your rules, so I've got absolutely no complaint about how you run things, but as an observation I'd say that you are creating the extra work for yourself.  Is there any real harm to having 12 Adam Dunn threads?  Or having Ryan Zimmerman threads turn into LAC threads and pitching prospect threads turn into fishing threads?  To me the house-cleaning seems to be by choice rather than by necessity. 

I find the huge threads on a single topic to favor the regulars over the occasional posters due to the time it takes to scan through multiple pages to catch up on the conversation and I'm often more interested to read what an infrequent poster has to write on a given topic since the regulars are usually well estabished in their positions on most topics.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: December 03, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »
I sort of feel like you didn't really read the section you quoted.  I'm actually really very lax about merging and splitting threads, but when you have two HUGE threads about Dunn and pitching, respectively, it makes absolutely no sense to have long tangents about one in the other and vice versa.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #7: December 09, 2010, 01:45:48 AM »
So... THIS is the new Dunn thread? 

Why the hell didn't the Nationals sign Dunn? 
The Senators never would have waived goodbye to Frank Howard.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: December 18, 2010, 06:58:09 AM »
So...
Another thought: I never used to criticize people personally, either. What happened to me? I think I will give myself a 36 hour ban from WNFF. See you guys in the "Go to bed!" thread on Saturday!

I thought this was going to be really easy. I could just log out, go about my business, spend a whole day getting work done and being awesome, and then return to WNFF on a blaze of glory and find thousands of followers clamoring for my presence. Well, it's a good thing I logged out. See, I realized that part of the internet addiction is an instinctive, subconscious clicking on bookmarks process, so for example, when I was waiting for a file to download, my hand automatically clicked WNFF without asking me permission first. Then I went Oh yeah! and clicked on another site instead. This probably happened about 30-40 times.

When the Chad Gaudin and Matt Antonelli things came up, I really wanted to weigh in. But more importantly, I realized WNFF is my main source for news anyhow. It's an aggregator that saves me having to visit Mark Zuckerman, Adam Kilgore, and Gargles "Gall-Bladder" McGillicuddy III. And the other awesome aggregators aren't as good: MLBTR doesn't always post every tiny rumor, and Twitter is just information overload. Do I really need to be following 157 people? So WNFF is the best place to get Nats news.

So I did read the Matt Antonelli thread while registered as a guest. I considered re-banning myself for this, but didn't.

Now, time to be self-satisfied for a minute. The offense I banned myself for is something that happens about 600 times a day in the chaotic, charred warzone that is the Clubhouse right now. I think if everybody who insulted each other, lost their cool, or generally took a dump on Chief's Christmas Wishlist banned themselves from posting even for 2 hours, the board would be a much more pleasant place. Even better, we could all just be thoughtful about what we say. It's freaking Christmas. Let's all be Jimmy Stewart instead of Scrooge. (Um... especially if you think the Lerners are already Scrooge. They don't need competition. ;) )

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: December 18, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
Hear, Hear!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: December 18, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
Gargles "Gall-Bladder" McGillicuddy III

:crackup: