Author Topic: Pedro out for playoffs  (Read 2490 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Pedro out for playoffs
« Topic Start: September 29, 2006, 08:49:48 AM »
ATLANTA -- The Mets' pitching plans for the postseason, amended after Pedro Martinez's conspicuously flawed performance on Wednesday night, now have definition, at least for the first two games of the National League Division Series. And part of that definition is, as the club had feared, no Martinez.
Hours after the club finally got around to the starting assignments -- Game 1, Orlando Hernandez; Game 2, Tom Glavine -- general manager Omar Minaya announced that Martinez would not pitch in the postseason because of a muscle-tendon tear in his left calf, an injury detected via MRI exam Thursday after Martinez had returned to New York for tests. A tear of a muscle in his right calf had been the cause of his month-long late-summer assignment to the disabled list.

While the extent of the new injury was unexpected, Martinez's being unavailable for the postseason didn't come as a shock to the Mets.

"When he walked off the mound [Wednesday] night, I don't think any of us was optimistic he was going to pitch," Glavine said Thursday night after he learned of Martinez's latest malady.

Manager Willie Randolph indicated earlier Thursday that the pitcher he had identified two weeks ago as the Game 1 starter was likely to miss the NLDS and that club wondered how much it could expect from Martinez in subsequent series, should the Mets advance. So when Randolph received word of the new injury, his reaction was characteristically placid.

"You pick up and move on," he said. "I mean, jeez you'd love to have him. But it's not the end of the world. Any time you miss one of your big guys, it stings. But we're a good team."

Or as Glavine said, "You always hear a championship team is more than 25 guys."

After acknowledging Wednesday that he had stressed other parts of his body in his brief and ineffective start against the Braves, Martinez essentially withdrew from the NLDS. He did express hope he might help the Mets in some way -- perhaps in limited relief, perhaps in a one-batter role akin to the one David Cone filled for the Yankees in Game 4 of the 2000 World Series when he faced one batter, Mike Piazza. But Randolph discounted that possibility even before word of the new injury reached him.

Now Martinez, who turns 35 in October, will baseball-incapacitated for four to six weeks with his fourth injury of the year -- the big toe on his right foot in Spring Training, his right hip in June, his right calf in August and now the left calf. Rest with treatment, not surgery, is the course of action he will follow. Minaya suggested the pitcher probably would be outfitted with a boot to reduce strain on the left calf. Martinez wore a boot while he was recovering from the right-calf tear.

Even with Martinez eliminated as a possibility, the Mets specified no starter for Game 3. Instead, the third-game assignment went to the familiar member of the ever-fluid September rotation: TBD. But Steve Trachsel indicated that he had been told unofficially to begin "preparing" as if he will start Game 3.

-----

Even as a Mets hater, you really have to feel sorry for Pedro.  :cry:

Re: Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #1: September 29, 2006, 08:52:47 AM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"

After all the thuggery he pulled on our team, especially the first few weeks of the season, I really don't.  Karma Pedro, karma.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #2: September 29, 2006, 08:55:31 AM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"

After all the thuggery he pulled on our team, especially the first few weeks of the season, I really don't.  Karma Pedro, karma.

Ahh, yes, I forgot.

Screw you, Pedro  :evil:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: September 29, 2006, 09:27:22 AM »

No I don't.  Cry me a river, he deserves it.  Like NOTLD said, karma.

Nats Bruin

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #4: September 29, 2006, 09:27:30 AM »
thuggery?  :roll:  :roll:
Thats baseball, and with one of MLB's best pitchers OUT
for the post season, it won't be worth watching.

I'm sure it will be....but I just don't care.

Offline expos96

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #5: September 29, 2006, 09:34:34 AM »
I do feel sorry for Pedro.
As the first baseball game I attended was an Expos game with Pedro pitching.
Since then I always liked to watch his games and was very pleased that he and the Red Sox won the Championship two years ago.

Offline The Chief

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #6: September 29, 2006, 10:37:37 AM »
Quote from: "expos96"
Since then I always liked to watch his games and was very pleased that he and the Red Sox won the Championship two years ago.

And his giant ego cost them a trip to the Series the year before.

I can understand liking him because he used to be an Expo, but his stint with them was before my time as an Expo fan, so I don't share that connection.  From what I have seen of him, he is overly arrogant and prideful.  Not to mention the thuggery.  So yeah, it's pretty hard for me to feel sorry for him.  I don't mean to be callous or cold-hearted, but that's just how it is.

Offline expos96

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #7: September 29, 2006, 11:05:21 AM »
Quote from: "The Chief"

I can understand liking him because he used to be an Expo, but his stint with them was before my time as an Expo fan, so I don't share that connection.  From what I have seen of him, he is overly arrogant and prideful.  Not to mention the thuggery.  So yeah, it's pretty hard for me to feel sorry for him.  I don't mean to be callous or cold-hearted, but that's just how it is.

No problem we all have our own likings and dislikings.
That makes discussion interesting.

But yeh he is arrogant.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #8: September 29, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »
I am only disappointed because I was looking forward to watching him get beat around in the playoffs like he did the past 3 starts.

Nats Bruin

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #9: September 29, 2006, 03:42:20 PM »

Pedro is a super-star and arrogance claims spurns jealousy. If he was still with the Expos/Nats he wouldn't be arrogant. His alleged thuggery is just funny because its pitching in baseball. I love it when they claim Pedro is such a head-hunter but nobody does anything about it. He's a major league pitcher......the inside of the plate belongs to him!

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #10: September 29, 2006, 03:57:15 PM »
Quote from: "Nats Bruin"

Pedro is a super-star and arrogance claims spurns jealousy. If he was still with the Expos/Nats he wouldn't be arrogant. His alleged thuggery is just funny because its pitching in baseball. I love it when they claim Pedro is such a head-hunter but nobody does anything about it. He's a major league pitcher......the inside of the plate belongs to him!

Sorry.  Your selling the wrong type of bull**** around here.  Most of us aren't buying.

Nats Bruin

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #11: September 29, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »
:lol:  :lol:
I'm not selling anything but its true.
If he was wearing a Nats uni, it would be a TOTALLY
different story. If what happened earlier this year
was "thuggery", you haven't watched baseball very
long.

Offline The Chief

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #12: September 29, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
If what happened earlier this year
long.

So then by your logic, a violent crime is only violent if no other crime before it was of equal or greater violence?  Right...  :roll:

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #13: September 29, 2006, 07:15:01 PM »
long.

If you don't think that whole display was not thuggery then you have more Boston delusions of granduer rivaling that of the Mutts.

Nats Bruin

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #14: September 29, 2006, 09:50:58 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
long.

If you don't think that whole display was not thuggery then you have more Boston delusions of granduer rivaling that of the Mutts.

Boston or whoever you mentioned last has nothing to do with it'
But thats YOUR opinion and being a "message board".......

Nats Bruin

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #15: September 29, 2006, 09:52:01 PM »
If what happened earlier this year
long.

So then by your logic, a violent crime is only violent if no other crime before it was of equal or greater violence?  Right...  :roll:

:lol:  :lol: Please, keep on topic

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #16: September 30, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »
DirtDogBaseball + WSorrBust at it again........... :(

Offline PC

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #17: September 30, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »
Mets' Martinez needs surgery on torn rotator cuff

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- New York Mets will be missing ace Pedro Martinez for more than just the postseason.

The Mets right-hander will have rotator cuff surgery next week and be out eight months. The injury is expected to sideline him until at least June.

Martinez, who turns 35 this month, was already out for the playoffs because of a torn tendon in his left calf. The Mets won the NL East and start the playoffs next week at home.

"It's going to be sad because he's not here," Julio Franco said earlier this week. "But we have to do it with the guys we've got, like we've been doing it the whole season."

Martinez returned to New York after getting knocked around badly in his final start of the regular season Wednesday night, a 13-1 loss to the Braves. An MRI showed a tear in the left calf -- different from the right calf injury that recently put him on the disabled list for a month and was thought to be his major concern.

"He did mention [Wednesday] that he felt some pain in the other leg," general manager Omar Minaya said.

The Mets managed to win their first NL East title since 1988 with Martinez (9-8 ) battling injuries most of the season. He was bothered in spring training by a sore toe, went on the DL at midseason with an ailing hip and fell short of 10 wins for only the second time in his 14-year career.

Orlando Hernandez will start Game 1 in the best-of-five division series, the slot that was supposed to go to Martinez. Tom Glavine will go in Game 2.

Martinez lost his last four starts -- the first when his right calf began hurting, the last three after coming off the DL. He looked downright awful against the Braves on Wednesday night, giving up eight hits, seven runs and two homers in 2 2/3 innings.

"It's taken a lot away from me: my confidence and the location of my pitches," Martinez said before leaving Atlanta. "When you don't have the legs to push off and create velocity and locate your pitches, you're in trouble. And I can't locate right now."

Martinez posted a 16.97 ERA over his last four starts, giving up 22 hits and 20 earned runs in 11 2/3 innings

Offline PC

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #18: September 30, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
Since Martinez is going to be out for a big part of next season, the Mets might not be as willing to go for Soriano since now they're going to have to sign an ace, someone like Zito.

Offline Dave B

Pedro out for playoffs
« Reply #19: September 30, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »
"...our pitcher's HEADS are falling off...."