Author Topic: MLB End of Year Awards  (Read 3253 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: MLB End of Year Awards
« Reply #25: November 12, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »
Scott had a good year.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #26: November 12, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »
Scott had a good year.
Yeah, but I honestly never would have suspected he had a better year than (or even a year comparable to) that of Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, etc.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: November 12, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
Yeah, but I honestly never would have suspected he had a better year than (or even a year comparable to) that of Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, etc.

That's really just dismissing the Orioles. He's a very good hitter and was in demand at the deadline.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #28: November 15, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
And the AL and NL awards for rookie of the year go to... Neftali Feliz and Buster Posey!

Austin Jackson, Jayson Heyward, and of course Stephen Strasburg got snubbed.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #29: November 15, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »
I would have voted for Posey. And there is no "Steve Jackson."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #30: November 15, 2010, 03:44:23 PM »
That said, at the start of this year, when we had Strasburg and Ian Desmond, did anybody on this board think that NEITHER of them would receive a SINGLE vote? I feel like everybody had to expect, deep down, that at least one single vote would come to a National.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #31: November 15, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
That said, at the start of this year, when we had Strasburg and Ian Desmond, did anybody on this board think that NEITHER of them would receive a SINGLE vote? I feel like everybody had to expect, deep down, that at least one single vote would come to a National.
Strasburg would have been one of the favorites if he wasn't injured... pretty sure if he put up the exact same WAR and wasn't injured, just shut down by the Nats, he would have received some votes.  Voters don't want to look stupid in hindsight, it's much safer voting for someone uninjured.  As for Desmond, though... was anyone really expecting him to put up RoY numbers?  I mean really?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #32: November 15, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
Have you ever met Bill Ladson?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: November 15, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »

Yes.

When I said where I was from, he grabbed me by my shirt collar, lifted me a foot off the floor, and said "you tell that Lintyfresh character that he's mine if I ever get my hands on him", then he set me down.     :phew:

Offline Sharp

« Reply #34: November 15, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
Bill Ladson is not a human being.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #35: November 15, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
Speaking of which, Bill Ladson's new mailbag says Brandon Webb would play extra-hard for the Nationals because Mike Rizzo scouted him.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #36: November 15, 2010, 04:31:13 PM »
Speaking of which, Bill Ladson's new mailbag says Brandon Webb would play extra-hard for the Nationals because Mike Rizzo scouted him.
As much as I dislike the man, let's not put words in his mouth.  He said he would play well for Rizzo, and added that Rizzo had scouted him, but he didn't specifically connect the two in a causal sense.  For all we know, Ladson thinks he would play well for anyone, and was just adding the tidbit about his having been scouted by Rizzo because he thought readers would find it interesting.  Ladson says enough dumb crap that we don't need to invent any for him.

Weirder is that he keeps talking about how Morse needs to shorten his swing and doesn't hit elite starters well... these sound like the same sorts of complaints that he made about Dunn.  Apparently, Ladson thinks everyone should be a slap-hitting contact hitter.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: November 15, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
As much as I dislike the man, let's not put words in his mouth.  He said he would play well for Rizzo, and added that Rizzo had scouted him, but he didn't specifically connect the two in a causal sense.  For all we know, Ladson thinks he would play well for anyone, and was just adding the tidbit about his having been scouted by Rizzo because he thought readers would find it interesting.  Ladson says enough dumb crap that we don't need to invent any for him.

Weirder is that he keeps talking about how Morse needs to shorten his swing and doesn't hit elite starters well... these sound like the same sorts of complaints that he made about Dunn.  Apparently, Ladson thinks everyone should be a slap-hitting contact hitter.

Nevertheless, why exactly would the GM have any bearing on how hard a player plays, especially a guy who will be on a short term deal trying to prove himself and get a bigger contract?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: November 15, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
As much as I dislike the man, let's not put words in his mouth.  He said he would play well for Rizzo, and added that Rizzo had scouted him, but he didn't specifically connect the two in a causal sense.  For all we know, Ladson thinks he would play well for anyone, and was just adding the tidbit about his having been scouted by Rizzo because he thought readers would find it interesting.  Ladson says enough dumb crap that we don't need to invent any for him.

Weirder is that he keeps talking about how Morse needs to shorten his swing and doesn't hit elite starters well... these sound like the same sorts of complaints that he made about Dunn.  Apparently, Ladson thinks everyone should be a slap-hitting contact hitter.
I stopped reading the mailbag after he said they wouldn't take a chance on Wang next year since he didn't pitch an inning this year.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #39: November 15, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
It wouldn't.  Ladson never said it would though, he just said he expected he would play well under Rizzo.  He left open whether he would play well under other GMs as well.  If I had to guess, though, I'd say that Ladson imagines that he would put more effort towards full recovery for Rizzo because he feels indebted to him.  Personally I doubt motivational issues are what's kept Webb out of the majors for the last two years, but since Ladson appears to believe that effort, intangibles and attitude are all just as important as physical ability I can easily see this being his thought process.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: November 15, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »

Nobody has, or ever will, live up to the Jamey Carroll standard that Bill holds up high.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #41: November 16, 2010, 02:48:46 AM »
I stopped reading the mailbag after he said they wouldn't take a chance on Wang next year since he didn't pitch an inning this year.

I stopped reading because I don't have a masachistic streak.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #42: November 16, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
In a huge upset, Roy Halladay wins NL Cy Young in a unanimous decision.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: November 16, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »
In unrelated news, Tim Lincecum sparked up and enjoyed a joint. Just as he did the last two years on this date, when he won the Cy Young.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #44: November 17, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
Ron Gardenhire and Bud Black win the AL and NL manager of the year awards.  Surprised not to see Riggleman on there!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #45: November 17, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
Anyone else reminded of a lawn gnome when they look at Ron Gardenhire?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #46: November 17, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »
Anyone else reminded of a lawn gnome when they look at Ron Gardenhire?
You're not the first person to entertain that observation, I'll say that much.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #47: November 18, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
Silver slugger awards coming in now...
AL 1B - Miguel Cabrera (pretty reasonable choice)
NL 1B - Albert Pujols (wow Joey Votto got snubbed hard)
AL 2B - Robinson Cano (obvious choice)
NL 2B - Dan Uggla (understandable with Utley's off year)
AL SS - Derek Jeter (whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat UPSET)
NL SS - Troy Tulowitzki (good choice)
AL C - Joe Mauer (yup)
NL C - Brian McCann (yup)

I missed this thread a few days ago, but didn't Alexei Rameriz win the AL SS Silver Slugger?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #48: November 18, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
I missed this thread a few days ago, but didn't Alexei Rameriz win the AL SS Silver Slugger?

He did. Well deserved as well.

Great bounce back year from 2009.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #49: November 18, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
Score one for the stat heads.

King Felix wins the Cy Young.