Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Stephen Lombardozzi Jr, 2B  (Read 22429 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Last ten games:  .342/.444/.579

Flashing some good speed so far this year, after getting CS in 1/3 of his attempts last year.  Is 5 for 5 in SBA and already has 3 triples to his name for the season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
posted in the "Worst offense" thread:

For fun, using this Major league equivalency calculator,Lombardozzi's AA line translates for Washington as:

.236 / .284 /.336, 20/83, 6BB /12K, 1 HR 7 RBI.
That  was after 81 ABs.  NJ / JMU - what do you think of these equivalency calculators?

Offline houston-nat

So basically, Lombardozzi = Desmond :couch:

Offline JMUalumni

posted in the "Worst offense" thread:
That  was after 81 ABs.  NJ / JMU - what do you think of these equivalency calculators?

Interesting to look at, but I'm not sure how much weight it carries.  If anything, it probably fails to account for growth in a player, both physically and skill wise, and is most likely a representation of how a player would perform in the MLB if called up at this exact moment.  For instance, Espinosa's MLE for his Harrisburg year would have resulted in a .205/.253/.348 slash line.

Offline UMDNats

Definitely a fan of this kid. Hoping he's up here this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Interesting to look at, but I'm not sure how much weight it carries.  If anything, it probably fails to account for growth in a player, both physically and skill wise, and is most likely a representation of how a player would perform in the MLB if called up at this exact moment.  For instance, Espinosa's MLE for his Harrisburg year would have resulted in a .205/.253/.348 slash line.
This is right. It's less a projection of what he can become than a mythical magic transplant into the majors from the start of the season. To the extent that it is a measure of his skills right now, it seems promising.  We can hope for growth. It's also kind of neat to think that we don't need him in the majors right now and can let him develop.  We've not been in that position for some guys that have gotten squeezed out of options, like the Castos and the Maxwells in the past. 

Offline hammondsnats

this kid screams dustin pedroia, but without the power.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
By the numbers, it looks like he has changed his plate approach.  He's gone from nearly a 1:1.25 BB/K rate to 1:3, and his BB rate is down to about 5% of PAs.  Still running well, but he's dropped from the steady .370+ OBP he's had all the way up to .344.  The power continues to improve (.444 SLG). with 18 XBH in 198 ABs, but it looks like he's gotten a little slappy the last 10 games.  Anyone know what is going on?

Offline NJ Ave

Not the same player, obviously, but Danny Espinosa went .264/.375/.460 as a 22-year old in Potomac and .262/.334/.464 the next year in Harrisburg.

I think it's a quantum leap forward when the pitchers start being able to locate all their pitches within the strike zone. It's one thing lay off balls outside the strike zone, it's another thing to be selective within the strike zone. Since he seems to make pretty good contact, maybe he's simply making contact earlier in counts, now that the pitchers are throwing more inside the zone?

Either way, I'm not worried as long as he continues to make good contact and hit for the same power. That means he's still being selective and hitting the strikes he wants to hit, rather than making weak contact on pitcher's pitches.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
wOBA in A+ ball in 2010 - .356
wOBA in AA ball in 2011 - .374

So, the slightly high strike out, lower walk, more power approach seems to be working.

Offline UMDNats

Sadly I feel like the organization is too in love with Desmond to give this kid any real chance here.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Sadly I feel like the organization is too in love with Desmond to give this kid any real chance here.

Agreed.

Still not sure behind the rationale to trade Danny before Desmond... but that's what Rizzo wanted.

Edit: Wow, I wasn't even aware that Danny is a year and a half younger than Desmond. I thought for sure he was older!

Offline hammondsnats

good to see lombo kick ass.  let's hope he keeps it up, if he does, maybe a september call up?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Updated stat line this AM (thru 6/10), courtesy of http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t547&t=p_pbp&pid=543459:

230 AB in 57 games
.309 / .363 / .439, 3 HR (18 XBH), 13 SB (2 CS), 37 K, 14 BB.

Last 10 (42 AB)
.405 / .457 / .476, 1 HR (1 XBH), 2 SB (2 CS), 4 K, 3 BB.

The walk to K ratio is back in the old ball park of prior years, but it looks like he's going through a contact-heavy, balls dropping in for singles approach to jack up his avg and OBP.  The ISO growth he showed in his first few months at Harrisburg has stopped.  Sacrificing power and relying on contact rather than strike-zone judgment to cut back on Ks.  

I hate to sound negative when I see .933 OPS out of 2d baseman.  He may just be in a zone where no AA pitcher can get anything within 3 inches of the plate by him.

Online HalfSmokes

if you were hitting .405 would you bother trying to take walks?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Reminds of the joke about the guy who fell off the top of the Empire State Building.  Someone on the 70th floor saw him and asked, "how's it going?"  As fell, the guy shouted back, "so far, so good." 

The .405 is great, and maybe it is just he is in Vladi Guerrero mode and hitting perfectly placed balls on autopilot (without Vladi's power).  Reminds me a bit of Desmond's 2009 in AA and AAA.  Question is, is he progressing towards being the MLB leadoff hitter who we hoped for?

Offline sportsfan882

Scouts still doubt him heavily. Most still just see him as a Utility guy. I don't get it.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
even if that drops to a .300 average and .350 OBP, that's miles ahead of what we're getting right now from the leadoff spot.  If Espinosa can play SS and Lombo can play 2B, maybe that's what we should go with.  Probably wouldn't pull the trigger until the offseason, though.  It would leave us SOL if that arrangement doesn't work and now you've f'd with all of Desmond, Espinosa, and Lombo.

Online HalfSmokes

Reminds of the joke about the guy who fell off the top of the Empire State Building.  Someone on the 70th floor saw him and asked, "how's it going?"  As fell, the guy shouted back, "so far, so good." 

The .405 is great, and maybe it is just he is in Vladi Guerrero mode and hitting perfectly placed balls on autopilot (without Vladi's power).  Reminds me a bit of Desmond's 2009 in AA and AAA.  Question is, is he progressing towards being the MLB leadoff hitter who we hoped for?

my hope is that he's swinging at everything because he's making contact and will adjust if he starts king more. If he just makes solid contact, there is nothing wrong with being like a Cano or a Kendrick- lots of contact, low k and bb rates

Offline sportsfan882

Lombo with a HR and Double tonight to appease JCA :lmao:

This kid needs to be in AAA

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Lombo with a HR and Double tonight to appease JCA :lmao:

This kid needs to be in AAA
I want walks! enough of the HR stuff. :lmao:

Offline daggerrrrrr

Steve Lombardozzi was named EL player of the week for June 6-12  http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/pow/index.jsp  He's getting better each year, and it's scary. .319BA,.371OBP,.460SLG,237AB  I just have one ? How good will this guy be when he's done developing?

Offline hammondsnats

Steve Lombardozzi was named EL player of the week for June 6-12  http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/pow/index.jsp  He's getting better each year, and it's scary. .319BA,.371OBP,.460SLG,237AB  I just have one ? How good will this guy be when he's done developing?

but scouts say he's just a super utility player :crazy:

this kid sounds like the real deal.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The scouts say super utility for two reasons.

1. He's not a big athletic type... so that automatically puts him in the wrong with scouts.

2. He doesn't have one specific tool that says "star". He does everything well, but nothing off the charts  great

Thus, scouts will put him in the "super utility" role.

Offline daggerrrrrr

Why do you have to have one tool that says Star? Why can't he just be an average 2B(not a Star and not a utility player)? I'm not looking for him to be a Star, but i am looking for him to be a every day player.