Author Topic: #1 commercial that makes you want to smash your tv  (Read 105868 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Speaking of the beer once referred to by Bob and Ray as the 'Beechwood Biggie'...could they come up with a different commercial (for a bit of variety) than that same old 'This Is The Beer We'll Drink' one they run 40-50 times a night on the Nats radio broadcasts?

<Bro voice> Brewed the HARD way, not the easy way.  </bro voice>  That one is my winner.  It's corporate pisswater, not the product of some dedicated craftsman slaving away over a single vat. 

Either that or the SAIC radio commercial "We cross-pollinate ideas to arrive at ingenious solutions."  At least they're upfront about the consultant schlock you're paying for if you hire them.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
If I hear the triangle solo once more, I'm switching car insurers.

Online HalfSmokes

<Bro voice> Brewed the HARD way, not the easy way.  </bro voice>  That one is my winner.  It's corporate pisswater, not the product of some dedicated craftsman slaving away over a single vat. 

Either that or the SAIC radio commercial "We cross-pollinate ideas to arrive at ingenious solutions."  At least they're upfront about the consultant schlock you're paying for if you hire them.

The bud light commercial bragging about using rice in their beer is the worst- don't brag about an ingredient banned by purity laws unless you're hocking some flavored

Offline 1995hoo

The GMC commercial with the guy singing "Me and You" has been bugging me for a while because I knew I had heard that song somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. Last night it came to me: Its Barry Louis Polisar, a children's musician who was popular at my first elementary school back in the 1970s (Pine Ridge Elementary on Woodburn Road in Fairfax County—Polisar came to sing at an assembly one time, so I guess that makes him the first musician I remember seeing live?). I had forgotten his music because I haven't heard it since 1984 or so when my younger brother outgrew it, but realizing who's singing in that commercial has somehow now brought back some of the long-forgotten lyrics (though I can't remember any song in full).

Having those kinds of lyrics going through my head (example: "I stopped eating animals and I'm glad I finally did/But I get my protein 'cause I eat kids") is making me want to shoot myself.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Budweiser uses rice as an "adjunct" grain. Miller uses corn. Why? Because they are much, much cheaper, of course.

The bud light commercial bragging about using rice in their beer is the worst- don't brag about an ingredient banned by purity laws unless you're hocking some flavored

Offline 1995hoo

After today's football games, I have the theme from The Greatest American Hero stuck in my head, alternating with George's answering machine message.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
...and how about all those political ads (from both sides) for the gubernatorial election in Virginia, which thankfully will be ending today? The NFL telecasts this past Sunday were almost unwatchable.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
...and how about all those political ads (from both sides) for the gubernatorial election in Virginia, which thankfully will be ending today? The NFL telecasts this past Sunday were almost unwatchable.
I saw a pretty outrageous one for AG this AM.  I had not seen it before.  It kind of reminds me of the old tactic of leaking crud on election day so it can't be rebutted.

In the 1960s, I think it was an AG race in Mass between Elliott Richardson and Frank Bellotti, and on the day of the election, one of the elite papers in Boston at the time ran a story about reports of Bellotti and some organized crime connection.  They retracted it the next day, which didn't do Frank any good ;)

Edit - it was even better than this.  In 1964, Bellotti knocked off Chubb Peabody, the sitting governor from his own party, in a primary for Governor. Peabody was a Harvard elite Boston Brahmin guy by blood.  The Rs nominated John Volpe, the former governor Peabody had beat in 1962.  The Brahmins always hated Bellotti and had a big whisper campaign against Bellotti for mob ties, which was OK because the beneficiary, Volpe, was Italian.  I forget if the story about the well-placed article was in that election or the AG - I'm thinking the 1964 election.  The story gets weirder.  Also on the ballot in 1964 for AG was Ed Brooke as an R. In 1966, Brooke gave up the AG seat to run for the Senate, so that led to the Richardson / Bellotti AG race.  Richardson jumped all over the rumors that Bellotti had mob ties and demanded Brooke investigate him in the weeks before the election.  There was not a scintilla of evidence, so Brooke did the right thing and refused.  I think both Richardson and Brooke ended up winning, but Bellotti was eventually exonerated, eventually won election for AG, and became the longest serving AG in state's history. 

Online HalfSmokes

Finally found out what party Jill Vogel was - I would have thought green from her ads

Offline 1995hoo

Finally found out what party Jill Vogel was - I would have thought green from her ads

I think she's the only candidate this year, other than Cliff Hyra (Libertarian nominee for governor), from whom I have not seen a negative ad attacking the opponent.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
she actually says what party she's in, but it is in ultrasound so you don't hear it.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I wondered that too - until a recent ad this week showing her religious side.  But I didn't have to vote for/against her, so I didn't research

Offline Mathguy

I saw a negative ad from her this week

I think she's the only candidate this year, other than Cliff Hyra (Libertarian nominee for governor), from whom I have not seen a negative ad attacking the opponent.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
http://www.loudountimes.com/news/article/vogels_ultrasound_bill_sparks_media_firestorm123

Women in Virginia considering an abortion won’t be required to undergo an internal ultrasound before having the controversial procedure; this after national media outlets zeroed in on contentious legislation sponsored by state Sen. Jill Holtzman Vogel (R-27).

Senate Bill 484, a measure introduced by Vogel that would’ve mandated pregnant women have an ultrasound before proceeding with an abortion, garnered vast attention yesterday as a final vote from the state House of Delegates neared.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Holiday car commercials. Every single one of them. Annoying songs ("Toyland, toy land..." "Holiday Rooooooaaaasddd"), sappy premises "mom and dad loved that tree! Let's turn it into a table!" :wtf: awful awful awful the whole lot of them :evil:

Offline Mathguy

Commercials may be different in the geriatric land of FL.  Either that or I have become comfortably numb to them.

Holiday car commercials. Every single one of them. Annoying songs ("Toyland, toy land..." "Holiday Rooooooaaaasddd"), sappy premises "mom and dad loved that tree! Let's turn it into a table!" :wtf: awful awful awful the whole lot of them :evil:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
The hipsters sittin' around a table eatin' processed ribs gruntin' at each other.     Worse than Kershaw lickin' his thumbs in the Subway ad.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
The hipsters sittin' around a table eatin' processed ribs gruntin' at each other.     Worse than Kershaw lickin' his thumbs in the Subway ad.
It's not even original.  They stole the hipsters grunting and making noises while they eat from Panera.  I half expect the next commercial to be about how the pigs they use for the ribs are clean.

Offline Natsinpwc

You little punk, you know what a computer is.

Offline mitlen

You little punk, you know what a computer is.

Him or the kid in the Verizon commercials.

Offline wj73

Him or the kid in the Verizon commercials.

Oh geez, don’t even start me on that obnoxious Verizon kid.

Offline mitlen

Oh geez, don’t even start me on that obnoxious Verizon kid.

I know he has "issues" and is a spokesperson for that worthy cause/organization but keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I'd like to whack 'im.   There's simply something missin'/wrong about the way the commercials have him speakin' to adults to include his "dad".    Maybe I'd whack the PR firm or Verizon for creating and approving this character as well.     :shrug:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
The only Verizon commercial I've seen lately is that dorky guy who brags about the company and then reveals their stupid logo in front of the crowd of people who are all "we know it says Verizon."  Also a very TV-smashy commercial.

Offline mitlen

The only Verizon commercial I've seen lately is that dorky guy who brags about the company and then reveals their stupid logo in front of the crowd of people who are all "we know it says Verizon."  Also a very TV-smashy commercial.

That Verizon character reminds me of the Chevy commercial guy.

Offline mitlen

"Fast foodies know the deal."     Movin' toward the top of the list.