Author Topic: For the moderators  (Read 4473 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

For the moderators
« Topic Start: September 28, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »
can we start a section (maybe a sub-section for the club house) for how bad the Nats are/how cheap/incompetent the Lerners are? It's as much a topic as anything, but I think it's starting to swallow the rest of the board (yes I know I'm as bad about it as anyone) and is probably turning people away by now. Maybe if those threads are segregated from the rest of team talk

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: For the moderators
« Reply #1: September 28, 2010, 07:31:31 AM »
Are you saying that the message board needs a lobotomy to remove all of the negative thoughts?  This isn't MASN or Nats 320 where criticism is censored, the team stinks, the fan base is fed up, and some of us are happy that the days of blind allegiance to the Plan are over, hoping that an avalanche of negative feedback will finally convince old man Lerner to put some money into his ballclub.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: September 28, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »
not a lobotomy, more like a sectioning

we currently have enough, who's to blame, and kasten leaving (now turned into freak the lerners/kasten) all active. I don't really have much faith in this team, and I think I pretty in the LAC camp now, but it seems like every thread is turning into this now.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3: September 28, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
With each offseason move the optimism will return, but with the Philly chants still fresh in our minds and payments coming due, the anger is going to peak over the next couple days.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #4: September 28, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »
and payments coming due

I think I'm going to ditch my ST and just buy from StubHub.  If Dunn leaves and our offseason splash is Coco Crisp and Carlos Pena I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: September 28, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »
Definitely not going to make a whole section just for that, but I'll try to streamline the existing discussion.  Some threads could probably stand to be merged or locked.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: September 28, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »
Definitely not going to make a whole section just for that, but I'll try to streamline the existing discussion.  Some threads could probably stand to be merged or locked.

There's been some good surgical moderation this morning.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #7: September 28, 2010, 09:36:55 PM »
On the Broncos boards there is a section called "Orange Colored Classes" where you can't say anything negative. I doubt it would get much use but that's a better alternative than a negative-designated section.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #8: September 29, 2010, 01:19:15 AM »
Seriously. This was by far my favorite sports board when I first found it, but these last couple months it has been miserably negative. Now every thread is destined to die as a "LAC/LANC" thread or "Sign Adam Dunn" thread. We suck but that doesn't mean each thread needs to be same thing.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #9: September 29, 2010, 01:20:50 AM »
Seriously. This was by far my favorite sports board when I first found it, but these last couple months it has been miserably negative. Now every thread is destined to die as a "LAC/LANC" thread or "Sign Adam Dunn" thread. We suck but that doesn't mean each thread needs to be same thing.
Agreed. It's gotten so bad, I've considered taking a break from this place until the offseason.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: September 29, 2010, 01:37:40 AM »
I'm sorry you guys feel it's so bad, but I honestly think you're both exaggerating a bit, unintentional though it may be.  And I've been trying to clean up the non-relevant discussions and keep things on topic, but I'm only one man.

:shrug:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #11: September 29, 2010, 01:39:12 AM »
On the Broncos boards there is a section called "Orange Colored Classes" where you can't say anything negative. I doubt it would get much use but that's a better alternative than a negative-designated section.

I know of at LEAST two threads like that right off the top of my head.  I understand the desire to focus on the positive, but if anyone is looking for a place where it's ra-ra Nationals 24/7 and the organization can do no wrong, then they're definitely in the wrong place, because that place doesn't exist in the real world that I'm aware of.  People screw up and make bad decisions, and sometimes they catch hell for those mistakes.  Sports franchises are certainly no exception to that.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #12: September 29, 2010, 01:39:54 AM »
I know of at LEAST two threads like that right off the top of my head.  I understand the desire to focus on the positive, but if anyone is looking for a place where it's ra-ra Nationals 24/7 and the organization can do no wrong, then they're definitely in the wrong place, because that place doesn't exist in the real world that I'm aware of.

The comments section on some blogs . . .

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #13: September 29, 2010, 01:40:12 AM »
Reality doesn't lie. When you lose 295 games in 3 years, you best believe the team is going to be ragged on. If we had the results of the Phillies, the complaints would be understandable.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #14: September 29, 2010, 01:42:55 AM »
I think its fine the way it is. There is no way to dodge the talks. It's the biggest existing problem with this team therefore it will have the biggest response towards it. There is no way to dodge the negativity. We have to deal with it. Hopefully the Lerners do. (LAC TALK INC) :lol: :stir:

But for real, just let it be. It'll all change, hopefully.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #15: September 29, 2010, 01:45:46 AM »
Alright alright, no need to pile it on.  I made my point and I'm sure they understand.  It's just frustrating to hear people talking about taking a break or leaving because of the one thing I can't control - believe me, if I could snap my fingers and make the Nationals good enough that nobody had any complaints, I'd definitely do it! :P

Offline Coladar

« Reply #16: September 29, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »
I'm sorry you guys feel it's so bad, but I honestly think you're both exaggerating a bit, unintentional though it may be.  And I've been trying to clean up the non-relevant discussions and keep things on topic, but I'm only one man.

:shrug:

I have to agree somewhat. These past two months the board has gone from having intelligent discussions to devolving into little better than the MLB.com boards. Every thread ends in a juvenile "blame the Lerners/Kasten/etc." Or even worse, the "If they don't resign Dunn, I'll never have anything to do with this team again." Heck, one of the more enjoyable diversions of the board, YNOT, went from barely being posted an hour before it closed to totally disappearing. People have become overly obsessed with GDT records, etc. I'd say it was an influx of people from Strasburg/Harper as the timeframe matches up, but the posters have stayed the same.

Bottom line, I think the teams consistent horrid play combined with starting the season so well and thus raising expectations has upset the level of discussion this forum was so excellent at providing. It's certainly not a knock on this forum either, as first and foremost it's out of any individuals hands and secondly can only be expected given how the team has performed. I do think the obsession with the Lerners has gotten ridiculously out of hand, given there are plenty of other teams with similar payrolls. If we were at $10m and the second lowest at $40m, it'd be valid. But again, there is no "fix" to this issue that doesn't severely mitigate the freedom of discussion on the boards, which would be worse than the problem it seeks to redress. The end point is simply that I don't think those complaining are overly exaggerating, but that the only way things improve is when the team itself improves.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #17: September 29, 2010, 01:54:48 AM »
Reality doesn't lie. When you lose 295 games in 3 years, you best believe the team is going to be ragged on. If we had the results of the Phillies, the complaints would be understandable.

hell, if the team was even respectable....

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #18: September 29, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
hell, if the team was even respectable....

Its sad when I'm playing xbox live and my profile message says:

"DC represent. Zards, Skins, Nats, Caps!" or close to that and people say stuff like:

"Nats suck, [curse word], etc etc"

They'd rather rag on them then Wizards or the Skins season this year. I know its random people but there are honestly 3 other teams there. :lol:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #19: September 29, 2010, 02:59:07 AM »
As we work our way back up to triple digit losses or so the panic monkeys attack. We're almost in the off season when the Kool-aid club starts working up to a spring frenzy.   :koolaid:

Negativity is tiresome but as a cellar dweller it would be a more than full time job for the moderators to do as you ask. To say nothing of the onerous task of keeping cat fights to a manageable level as they reach fever pitch and the frustration builds while the hope for the season dies. :hang: No stones; I get pissy too.

Now an opt in only kool-aid, thank the gods for any baseball even bad baseball, keep it positive section might work. Granted it will take some GTFOHWTBS to get it Dunn or maybe some fancy :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: stars under your name like those moderators get.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkkud_rem-shiny-happy-people_music

I definitely like the Bizzaro world version of the idea though.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #20: September 29, 2010, 03:41:54 AM »
Alright alright, no need to pile it on.  I made my point and I'm sure they understand.  It's just frustrating to hear people talking about taking a break or leaving because of the one thing I can't control - believe me, if I could snap my fingers and make the Nationals good enough that nobody had any complaints, I'd definitely do it! :P
New mod!!!!!!

I would like to announce my intention to run for candidacy to be the next wnff mod :peace sign:

:P

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #21: September 29, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »
I would like to announce my intention to run for candidacy to be the next wnff mod :peace sign:

Sir. Does your platform support or oppose the freedom to show nipples in the BWT? If you are opposed to nipples, why do you hate children and red blooded American men?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #22: September 29, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
given there are plenty of other teams with similar payrolls.

I'm only a fan of the Nationals so I don't give a freak what those other teams do.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #23: September 29, 2010, 09:53:42 AM »
The problem I see with creating a whole separate section for :koolaid: is that not only does discussion then become more fragmented, but you also run the risk (probability?) of lots of duplicate discussions.  A lot of the complaints I hear about WNFF already center around "it's too confusing", so I'm not exactly eager to divide it up even more.  Simplifying things was the whole reason behind merging the trade talk and clubhouse sections.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: September 29, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »
Sir. Does your platform support or oppose the freedom to show nipples in the BWT? If you are opposed to nipples, why do you hate children and red blooded American men?

:roll:

Sheesh.  You delete one little nipple (though it was a very nice one) and you are forever labeled an insensitive, heavy handed oaf of a clumsy-ass power-grubbin' self-righteous egomaniacal moderator.