Author Topic: The UFL 2010 Season thread  (Read 1513 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
The UFL 2010 Season thread
« Topic Start: September 25, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
Did you guys see that finish in Omaha last night?

Wow.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: The UFL 2010 Season thread
« Reply #1: September 25, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
Wasn't able to get to the game, but did get to see the end.  Hoping to go to the game next week.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: September 25, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
crap, I didn't even know the season had started.

Didn't it start in like October last year?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #3: September 25, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »
crap, I didn't even know the season had started.

Didn't it start in like October last year?

Added a team and 2 weeks to the schedule.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #4: September 29, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »
Omaha sells out for the 2nd week in a row.

Omaha's success is huge for the UFL.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: September 29, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
I'd love to see it become a league that feeds into the NFL in some sort.  8 teams.  4 NFL frachises providing the roster for each team.  8-10 game schedule.  I think that's the only way it survives long term.  I don't see it being something where it will be sustainable if they try to go out on their own.  the NFL is too large a beast to compete with right now.

I mean, if, for example, Cleveland, KC, Chicago and Dallas fed into the Omaha team and the Browns want to get Colt McCoy some seasoning before they throw him to the wolves, a season in Omaha could be good for him and it'd be a huge draw for a team like Omaha. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: September 29, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
Omaha sells out for the 2nd week in a row.

Omaha's success is huge for the UFL.
And I'll be there!

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: September 29, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
I definitely see the NFL eventually turning the UFL into a developmental league.

Just makes too much sense not to.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #8: September 29, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
I prefer the NFL to keep its hands off.

no MLB style minor league system.

do it more like Soccer does. let the players be free to go to whatever team they want.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: September 29, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »
No, I'm thinking more like the NBDL than minor league baseball.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #10: September 30, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
No, I'm thinking more like the NBDL than minor league baseball.

I would still prefer that the NFL keep its hands off, and let the UFL stand on its own.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: September 30, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »
That's the thing.  I'm not sure it can.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #12: September 30, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »
That's the thing.  I'm not sure it can.

sure it can, if it targets the correct Markets.

last year they had teams in San Francisco and New York City. completely foolish. the NFL owns those cities, lock stock and barrel.

but there are tons of metro areas with no pro football at all, with pretty much no hope of getitng a NFL team. like Omaha, Sacramento, Norfolk, Orlando, etc.

as long as the UFL hits those typed of markets, they will be fine. Omaha is just the beginning of the hype train. they are pulling 23k in Omaha, from day 1. as the league grows and begins to get mindshare, that number will grow. they should be able to do that in other College Football Hotbeds as well, so long as there is no major NFL presence. How about somewhere in Mississippi or Alabama? think they couldn't pull 25k there? New Mexico? Oklahoma City? Morgantown?

there are many, many untapped markets for pro football. the UFL could feasibly grow to about 20 teams and be just fine. they are taking it slow, as they should.

the UFL should be aiming for 30k as their high-end attendance goal. 20k as their low end. I think they can hit that range consistently, if they target the correct markets and execute well in their advertising, and bring a decent quality of football.

avoid NFL markets like the plague. target smaller non-nfl markets, particulary CFB hotbeds.

the only thing really that looks to be a major hurdle, is rounding up Ownerships for these markets.

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: September 30, 2010, 04:27:21 AM »
They'll run out of money before they build the base needed to survive.

Do they even have a functioning website yet?

I know they didn't last year.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: September 30, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
ufl-football.com

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #15: September 30, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
ufl-football.com

which was there last season too.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #16: September 30, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »
They'll run out of money before they build the base needed to survive.

Do they even have a functioning website yet?

I know they didn't last year.

It worked last year.  Not sure what you're talking about.  The league already adapted its structure after year one and expects to make a profit now.  I think you'll see a solid 8-10 team league for a while.  Next year could be huge in solidifying the UFL if the NFL dolts actually cut out an entire year.

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: September 30, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
I mean, I knew they had a website... but it still sucks.

The stats page is a joke... you can't sort, you can't click on a players profile to look at them... there are no box scores... hell, they don't even have league leaders in stats... just weekly leaders.

To be a league... I really think they need to upgrade their website... but that's just me.

And I do enjoy the product... I'm watching the Florida/Vegas game right now... I just think they need their web page to be updated to the 21st century.

Offline PC

« Reply #18: September 30, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »

The stats page is a joke... you can't sort, you can't click on a players profile to look at them... there are no box scores... hell, they don't even have league leaders in stats... just weekly leaders.

To be a league... I really think they need to upgrade their website... but that's just me.

And I do enjoy the product... I'm watching the Florida/Vegas game right now... I just think they need their web page to be updated to the 21st century.

How are you watching it live?  I get a "Live Stream is off-air" message at their website.

EDIT - I guess it's over and I missed it.

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: September 30, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
I watched it on Versus tonight. The game was at 6 p.m.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #20: September 30, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »

League Leader page is bad.  The box scores are in the Gameday Stats.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #21: September 30, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »
I watched it on Versus tonight. The game was at 6 p.m.

Tim Rattay looked like Peyton Manning tonight.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #22: November 17, 2010, 01:49:48 AM »
Two blowouts this week by the two teams trying to face LV in year two of "The Championship."  I actually like that name for the final game.

If Florida beats Omaha they can stay there and force a rematch of last years' championship game against Las Vegas.  If they lose then Daunte Culpepper and the Sacramento Mountain Lions get the spot.

I'm pulling for Florida as it seems like a good idea for the league to establish something resembling a rivalry as quickly as possible.

2011 already has 6 teams and according to the Wikipedia team the goal is 8.  Cities considered along with Omaha for 2010 are still in it (San Antonio, Austin, Portland, Salt Lake City) and a few others like Raleigh, LA, and Honolulu.  Since Omaha was a success the league will also consider smaller areas like Wichita, Des Moines and Jackson (MS).

Team 7 was decided in September but will be announced next week in the lead up to "The Championship."  That's another good idea.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #23: November 17, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »
Two blowouts this week by the two teams trying to face LV in year two of "The Championship."  I actually like that name for the final game.

If Florida beats Omaha they can stay there and force a rematch of last years' championship game against Las Vegas.  If they lose then Daunte Culpepper and the Sacramento Mountain Lions get the spot.

I'm pulling for Florida as it seems like a good idea for the league to establish something resembling a rivalry as quickly as possible.

2011 already has 6 teams and according to the Wikipedia team the goal is 8.  Cities considered along with Omaha for 2010 are still in it (San Antonio, Austin, Portland, Salt Lake City) and a few others like Raleigh, LA, and Honolulu.  Since Omaha was a success the league will also consider smaller areas like Wichita, Des Moines and Jackson (MS).

Team 7 was decided in September but will be announced next week in the lead up to "The Championship."  That's another good idea.

are you including Virginia in your 6?

I thought there were already 6 teams this year, there were only 5?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #24: November 17, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »
are you including Virginia in your 6?

I thought there were already 6 teams this year, there were only 5?

Virginia didn't play.  There was Las Vegas, Florida, Sacramento, Omaha and Hartford this year.  Supposedly #7 gets announced some time next week and they've got a bunch of interest for #8.