Author Topic: Nationals 2010 Instructional League Roster  (Read 3751 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Nationals 2010 Instructional League Roster
« Reply #25: September 27, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »

Interesting little scouting report from Harper to start the year.

Hitting like a 17 year old would be expected to.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/09/26/bryce-harper-tasting-failure-in-debut-not-ready-for-arizona-fal/

Surprised to hear the good new on Morris. Maybe there's some hope for him yet.

Actually I would expect most 17 year olds to swing for the fences. I'm pretty happy that he's trying to sit on pitches, he'll get a better feel for the strike zone as he matures

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #28: September 30, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
I still say he's the wild card in the rotation next year.  If Rizzo can go and get that that #1 (and, no, Pavano's not that guy) and Wang is able to find his old form it suddenly transforms the rotation and all bets are off for next year.  I don't know if he can do that or not, but Drew Brees seems to have recovered just fine (yes, I know two different sports, but it's still a similar motion). 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #29: September 30, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »
I still say he's the wild card in the rotation next year.  If Rizzo can go and get that that #1 (and, no, Pavano's not that guy) and Wang is able to find his old form it suddenly transforms the rotation and all bets are off for next year.  I don't know if he can do that or not, but Drew Brees seems to have recovered just fine (yes, I know two different sports, but it's still a similar motion). 

Very different motions.  My nephew was a SP and starting QB for his high school and each season he spent weeks "unlearning" his passing motion to get back to a legitimate pitching motion.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #30: September 30, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »
I'm aware of that, but it's still the same basic principles in that it's an overhand throw using the same parts of the body.  There are some fundamental differences, but when you get right down to it they are similar.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #31: October 01, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »
The difference between the two motions is that there is greater force and torque created by the shoulders and elbows in the pitching motion.  Because of this, it is much much more difficult to recover from the injury in baseball than it is in football.  The trunk and arm velocities are also much slower in football.

With that said, it is a moot point in this case as Drew Brees had labrum surgery and Wang's was on his shoulder capsule.  Two completely different surgeries with different recovery rates.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: October 01, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
Are they completely different? I thought the labrum was the lining of the socket portion of the joint, which is part of the shoulder capsule.
The difference between the two motions is that there is greater force and torque created by the shoulders and elbows in the pitching motion.  Because of this, it is much much more difficult to recover from the injury in baseball than it is in football.  The trunk and arm velocities are also much slower in football.

With that said, it is a moot point in this case as Drew Brees had labrum surgery and Wang's was on his shoulder capsule.  Two completely different surgeries with different recovery rates.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: October 11, 2010, 07:33:37 PM »
Kilgore recaps:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/10/bryce_harper_heads_home_for_no.html

Harris singled out right-handed pitcher Taylor Jordan, 21, as a particularly interesting player to watch. Jordan "threw the daylights out of it" in Florida, Harris said, hitting 93 and 94 miles per hour on a fastball with some wicked sinking action.

Jordan "has begun to understand where his ability can take him," Harris said. "If he takes this seriously, he has a real chance to pitch in the big leagues. His focus was closer to where it needed to be, and it was fun to watch."