Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1  (Read 49334 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1
« Reply #350: September 07, 2010, 01:56:31 AM »
Since I went to the game Saturday, I realized that today's game was the second time in three games we put more than nine guys at the plate in the fourth inning, and commented as much when Zimmerman came up to bat in the fourth today that he started the fourth Saturday, and got the third out the same inning. He likewise started the fourth today, but this time Dunn got the third out.

Since I didn't get home until 5am Sunday morning, I didn't catch yesterdays game. But I read or heard on TV we batted around the order Sunday as well. A few hours later, just now, I realized, could that have been in the fourth inning as well? Nah. No way. But I checked, and sure enough it was. I have to believe it's extraordinarily rare for a team to send 10 or more batters to the plate in an inning in three straight games. I'm sure it's been done, but rarely.

But three consecutive batting around the order games, and all three happened in the same inning? I have got to believe there's a strong chance that's never happened before in over 100 years of baseball. My ultimate point, is there somewhere you can email to check bizarre stats like that? Something like the Elias Says on ESPN.com? I'm sure 99% of the time someone wonders about a bizarre stat, it's fairly useless and not worth someones time to check. But this is such a freaking weird stat, three consecutive around the order games, and all three in the same inning? I'm dying to know if that's ever happened, and there's got to be a way to have someone with access to the databases that keep bizarre stats to check it. Any ideas?