Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50121 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Buk Reedin' Thred (Book Thread)
« Reply #525: March 28, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/One-Summer-America-Bill-Bryson/dp/0767919408

just finished listening to this on tape (Bryson reads it). For baseball fans, that's Ruth's 60 home run season, it's also Lindbergh crossing the atlantic, a terrible flood no one remembers and a lot of other interesting stuff- definitely worth the read

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #526: March 28, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
My brother recommended that as well.

I do like that Bryson generally reads his own audiobooks.

Offline blue911

« Reply #527: March 28, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

just finished listening to this on tape (Bryson reads it). For baseball fans, that's Ruth's 60 home run season, it's also Lindbergh crossing the atlantic, a terrible flood no one remembers and a lot of other interesting stuff- definitely worth the read

No one remembers the flood that propelled Herbert Hoover into the presidency? freaking public schools

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #528: March 28, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
No one remembers the flood that propelled Herbert Hoover into the presidency? freaking public schools

you're lucky people remember herbert hoover was president

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #529: March 28, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I definitely need to read that. I remember devouring through his books in high school.

Offline blue911

« Reply #530: March 28, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
you're lucky people remember herbert hoover was president

Yeah I guess they don't remember the Marshall Plan and how much work Hoover put into rebuilding Europe. It's a shame, Hoover was the original Jimmy Carter.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #531: March 28, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
Yeah I guess they don't remember the Marshall Plan and how much work Hoover put into rebuilding Europe. It's a shame, Hoover was the original Jimmy Carter.

I don't think Carter had the aversion to actually being in the presence of the people he was helping that hoover did (of course that could be the Bryson spin)

Offline blue911

« Reply #532: March 28, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
I don't think Carter had the aversion to actually being in the presence of the people he was helping that hoover did (of course that could be the Bryson spin)

I have no idea about Hoover's personality quirks but it sounds weird when you look at his life.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #533: March 28, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
Bryson seems decently anti Hoover (respect for what he did, but questioning motivation and character) so it wouldnt suprise mr if he emphasized more marginal sources

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #534: June 19, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
this should be interesting:

The Top Gear Guide to Britain: A Celebration of the Fourth Best Country in the World

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849906904/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl

Offline dracnal

« Reply #535: June 20, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
My apologies if it was mentioned before, but 'Where Nobody Knows Your Name' by John Feinstein has been an entertaining read about AAA so far.  Follows 7 players (including McLouth), 2 managers and an umpire in the 2012 year, along with anecdotes up and down baseball about what it's like, success and failure stories, almost rans and over hyped prospects, etc.

Really, it's a book about people who are playing baseball at a level JUST below that highest notch that stick around because even if they don't ever have a shot at the Show, they might.  And if they don't, it's still better being an almost a contender than a guy working at Sears or doing construction.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #536: June 20, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
My apologies if it was mentioned before, but 'Where Nobody Knows Your Name' by John Feinstein has been an entertaining read about AAA so far.  Follows 7 players (including McLouth), 2 managers and an umpire in the 2012 year, along with anecdotes up and down baseball about what it's like, success and failure stories, almost rans and over hyped prospects, etc.

Really, it's a book about people who are playing baseball at a level JUST below that highest notch that stick around because even if they don't ever have a shot at the Show, they might.  And if they don't, it's still better being an almost a contender than a guy working at Sears or doing construction.

It's my favorite Feinstein book, he reads the audio version which was great for a road trip. The only downside is that when I finished, I wished we'd hire Charlie Montoya or Ron Johnson instead of Williams

Offline dracnal

« Reply #537: June 20, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
It's my favorite Feinstein book, he reads the audio version which was great for a road trip. The only downside is that when I finished, I wished we'd hire Charlie Montoya or Ron Johnson instead of Williams

Is it me, or do you have a weird new sympathy for umpires, too?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #538: June 20, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
Is it me, or do you have a weird new sympathy for umpires, too?

I have sympathy for the younger guys, but I have no sympathy for the idiots who practice their out calls, I wish it was easier for the league to get rid of bad umps, and I look forward to a day when strike calls are automated

Offline saltydad

« Reply #539: June 20, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
Now using my Kindle Fire HD (new version). Absolutely love it Gave my paperwhite to one of my brothers. Love AMAZON.

Offline imref

« Reply #540: August 29, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »
I finished John Grisham's "Sycamore Row" last night, the sequel to "A Time To Kill" (continuance of the main characters, but a completely different plot).  If you are a fan of Grisham you'll like this one.  A very slow build to a fantastic ending.  I had read Grisham's "The Racketeer" a few weeks ago but found it to be mostly pulp. 

I love my new Paperwhite.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #541: August 29, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
I finished John Grisham's "Sycamore Row" last night, the sequel to "A Time To Kill" (continuance of the main characters, but a completely different plot).  If you are a fan of Grisham you'll like this one.  A very slow build to a fantastic ending.  I had read Grisham's "The Racketeer" a few weeks ago but found it to be mostly pulp. 

I love my new Paperwhite.

How was your trip?

Offline imref

« Reply #542: August 29, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
How was your trip?

just sent you a PM.  Awesome except that after getting home late sunday from HI, I had one night at home before flying back to the west coast.  I got home from that very early this morning (1 AM) so I'm not really sure what time zone i'm in right now.  The Paperwhite made the flights endurable.  I got 4 books read in the 30+ hours of flying these last few weeks.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #543: August 29, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »
I'm considering starting ASoIaF after having watched Game of Thrones (through season 3 so far).

Can anyone comment on whether it's worth it if you've watched?  (No spoilers pls).

Offline Bloo

« Reply #544: September 02, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »
I'm considering starting ASoIaF after having watched Game of Thrones (through season 3 so far).

Can anyone comment on whether it's worth it if you've watched?  (No spoilers pls).
Really depends in how much you're interested in the story. The plot more or less plays out the same, with a few differences here and there but overall mostly the same. What makes it worthwhile is learning the perspective of the character's were you get to learn about their motivations and intimate thoughts in their POV chapters. If you really wanted too, you probably could start halfway through ASOS, which is right around where Season 4 begins if you want to read the events that you don't know about yet.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #545: September 02, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
I think the TV show did a decent job of showing the quick and dirty version of events.  The books do a far more in depth version and really add layers of nuance the show does not.  That's a good series of books to read again after you've read them. You will see a ton of foreshadowing and catch all sorts of things you missed the first time through the books.  Dany's visions in the Warlock's mansion in book two(?) is a good example.  Everything she sees in there comes to pass, but it's done in coded dream imagery.

The only thing that does a better job of foreshadowing you don't notice until the second time through is Babylon 5.  JMS did a heck of a job sticking in the subtle little things that you only catch when you know the full arc of the show.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #546: September 02, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
I loved B5 :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #547: September 04, 2014, 08:11:29 PM »
Is "Tuesdays With Morrie" worth the read?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #548: September 04, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
I thought so, but I also like Mitch Albom as a writer

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #549: September 04, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
I thought so, but I also like Mitch Albom as a writer

I'm on the opposite end.   I'm not much of an Albom fan but the story is fascinating.    May check it out on Kindle.