Author Topic: Drew Storen's Dad Trashes Cards and LaRussa  (Read 9132 times)

Offline slugger14

Drew Storen's Dad Trashes Cards and LaRussa
« Topic Start: August 30, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »
Drew Storen's dad Mark Storen who goes by the name Mark Patrick is a former ESPN sports talk show host who currently works for an Indianapolis radio station WNDE. Today on his show Mark made it a point to trash Tony LaRussa, making reference to Tony's DWI as being much worse than the beanball his son threw at Holliday and mocked Tony as being completely unprofessional. Mark then coincidentally invited Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Mark then proceeded to mock LaRussa for his decision to make coaching decisions based on the Rasmus decision. Mark also questioned Strauss if LaRussa had ever been embraced by the city of St. Louis. He was basically taking a shot at LaRussa by questioning if one of the most successful managers in St. Louis Cardinals was liked by Cardinal fans.

I could go on with other weak attempts at cheapshots by Drew Storens dad in the interview but the sad thing is Drew's who is a grown adult playing MLB is being defended by his daddy much in the manner that a little leaguer would be defended by his daddy. It also is amazing the lack of professionalism from his dad Mark Patrick by using his job as a sports host to attack Tony LaRussa in an attempt to defend his son. In short if Drew wants to attack the Cardinals over yesterdays incident then he should be doing it himself and not through his dad's microphone.

I think it would wise for Riggleman to sit down with Drew and advise him to tell his dad to quit using the microphone to fight Drews and the Nationals battles because the whole thing comes across as completely "Bush League" and will do nothing but hurt the Nationals as a team in the long run.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Drew Storens Dad Trashes Cards and LaRussa
« Reply #1: August 30, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »
Ok. How'd losing 3-4 to the Nats feel?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: August 30, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
LaRussa's an old drunk. You are barking up the wrong tree here. Storen is a class act.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #3: August 30, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »
I agree Drew is a class act. My point is his dad is making problems for both Drew and the Nationals with his profession as a talk show host.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #4: August 30, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I agree Drew is a class act. My point is his dad is making problems for both Drew and the Nationals with his profession as a talk show host.

Isn't Pedroia's brother a child molester? He doesn't need to answer for his dad, and LaRussa is a grown man who makes questionable decisions when it comes to safe driving.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: August 30, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »

Who gives a crap?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: August 30, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
He was basically taking a shot at LaRussa by questioning if one of the most successful managers in St. Louis Cardinals was liked by Cardinal fans.
When I was in St. Louis, there were a lot of media and fans that were growing tired of some of the decision making of Mr. Larussa.  If he doesn't make the playoffs this year, his seat could get hot next year.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline slugger14

« Reply #8: August 30, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Look I am in Indiana and a fan of Drew who played HS ball here. My whole point is Drew's dad should stay out of his sons battles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: August 30, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
Sounds like Mark was being a little defensive regarding the incident, but you can hardly fault Drew or the Nats for Patrick's remarks.  I didn't hear the remarks and can't really comment on them.  However, I was at the game and I thought LaRussa was over the top in his protests.  Okay, Drew threw one behind Holliday.  Holliday stepped towards him, spoke some words, but it was going to end there.  THen LaRussa arrived, and we had a full 10 minute interruption of play while he argued over God knows what.  Tony, it was ball, go back to your dugout.  I mean, given the situation, does Storen really want the tying run on deck?  No way in hell he wants to hit Holliday, and aside from Morgan's ill advised run at the catcher the game before, there was no revenge motive at play that I could discern.

In truth, I think LaRussa was simply trying to gain an edge, to rattle Storen and rile up his own troops from what had been a lackluster sleepwalk of a series for them.  Nats beat the Cards with Wainwright and Carpenter on the mound, in game the Cards really had to win.  I think he may have also been quite a bit frustrated with the looming loss of the series.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #10: August 30, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Look I am in Indiana and a fan of Drew who played HS ball here. My whole point is Drew's dad should stay out of his sons battles.
I'm not doubting that.  Just sayin he's not the only one that questions Larussa.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: August 30, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
In truth, I think LaRussa was simply trying to gain an edge, to rattle Storen and rile up his own troops from what had been a lackluster sleepwalk of a series for them.  Nats beat the Cards with Wainwright and Carpenter on the mound, in game the Cards really had to win.  I think he may have also been quite a bit frustrated with the looming loss of the series.
Didn't work.  They're about to lose to the Astros.  The division's slipping away and if they're not careful, they'll be out of the WC race too.  That clubhouse could disintegrate quickly if they can't salvage the rest of this series vs. Houston.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: August 30, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »

There is no battle to stay out of.  Drew got Holliday, gave up a solo homer, but got the save.  Game over, series over, that's it.   Nobody here believes the Drew would throw intentionally at or even behind Holliday in that situation.  Unless there's some secret grudge we aren't aware of, in which case good job Drew!!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #13: August 30, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »

Well that disclosure helps, and phrased like that, it makes some some sense. I just don't think Drew needs to answer for his Dad. Like I said, try asking Pedroia about his brother. We don't choose our families. I think Patrick is supposed to be a super guy by the way, not trying to compare him to a pederast :lol: If you are a Drew fan and want to talk ball, welcome to the board.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #14: August 30, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
Sounds like Mark was being a little defensive regarding the incident, but you can hardly fault Drew or the Nats for Patrick's remarks.  I didn't hear the remarks and can't really comment on them.  However, I was at the game and I thought LaRussa was over the top in his protests.  Okay, Drew threw one behind Holliday.  Holliday stepped towards him, spoke some words, but it was going to end there.  THen LaRussa arrived, and we had a full 10 minute interruption of play while he argued over God knows what.  Tony, it was ball, go back to your dugout.  I mean, given the situation, does Storen really want the tying run on deck?  No way in hell he wants to hit Holliday, and aside from Morgan's ill advised run at the catcher the game before, there was no revenge motive at play that I could discern.

In the interview today Joe Strauss from the St. Louis Dispatch made mention because of a previous incident which I can't recall both teams had been previously warned earlier in the game  about brush back pitches. So when Storen threw the pitch behind Holliday, LaRussa wanted Storen ejected for throwing behind Holliday. I agree, I don't think Storen did it eventually and I don't think he should of been ejected either because I don't feel like the intent was there to hit Holliday. I just believe it's kinda "Bush" and bordering on Little League type behavior for Drew's dad to take to the microphone to defend his son. I like Drew and have followed him since his LL days but people around Indy  know how his dad is and once his dad gets involved using his  microphone to fight his sons battles, things can get out of hand. In short his dad needs to stay out of it.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #15: August 30, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »

+1

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: August 30, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
In the interview today Joe Strauss from the St. Louis Dispatch made mention because of a previous incident which I can't recall both teams had been previously warned earlier in the game  about brush back pitches.

The incident was the game before, when Nyjer Morgan veered a bit offline and, instead of touching home plate, he made a run at the catcher, but ended up missing home plate, didn't get a hit on the catcher, and generally made a fool of himself.  It was a stupid play for which he was benched the next game, the Storen/Holliday game.  THe warnings came because the Cards were pissed at Morgan.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #17: August 30, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
Wow, the outfield is a marsh.  I can't believe they are playing this one.  I guess they thought the Hurricane would cause some trouble for a doubleheader?

Nice work by Z & D!!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: August 30, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »
Wow, the outfield is a marsh.  I can't believe they are playing this one.  I guess they thought the Hurricane would cause some trouble for a doubleheader?

Nice work by Z & D!!!

(psst, hey buddy, the game thread is over that way)

:lol:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #19: August 30, 2010, 10:34:38 PM »
LOL

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #20: August 30, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
there is no question that LaRussa was engaged in a gambit to either get Storen thrown out or at least make him sit there, thinking about not going inside, and baking in the Sun.  What was said was that there had been a discussion with the umps before the game warning about beanballs.  That said, you have to be pretty dimwitted to think Storen was trying to hit Holliday in that spot.  Even G.D. Joe West knew that.  Of course, LaRussa being LaRussa, no one called him on it and it worked - the next guy homered and Storen did not come inside the rest of the inning.  Cute stunt by LaRussa, but transparent.  He should have been run.

As for Drew's Dad, regardless of why he did it, I think anyone who calls out LaRussa runs into a wall of flack from his sycophants.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #21: August 31, 2010, 01:49:46 AM »
I love how drew closed out sundays game vs. Cards.  Sorry St. Louis!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #22: August 31, 2010, 02:25:29 AM »
Hey, his Dad is a journalist. He can speak or write about whatever he wants (or his employers let him). Don't be so judgmental here.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #23: August 31, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »

Fine.  That's a legitimate point of view.  How is it Drew's responsibility that his dad is doing this?  That's where your logic goes awry.

Offline slugger14

« Reply #24: August 31, 2010, 08:02:39 AM »
Fine.  That's a legitimate point of view.  How is it Drew's responsibility that his dad is doing this?  That's where your logic goes awry.

Since Drew is an adult he should feel pretty embarrased that his dad is stepping in and trying to fight his battles via the microphone. I wouldn't want my father stepping in and fighting my battles and as an adult nor would you or anyone else for that matter. Mark just needs to realize that Drew is no longer in Brownsburg LL and he needs to let him stand on his own two feet.

In short Drew is a great young man and a real talent for the Nats. Unfortunately people here in Indy know his father all to well and  this recent behavior Mark has displayed towards defending Drew has been typical since Drew played MS sports. There is a reason Mark has had a gazillion jobs over his career and he is currently stuck at a small town radio station.