Author Topic: Minor League Playoff Thread  (Read 9063 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Minor League Playoff Thread
« Reply #125: September 16, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #126: September 17, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
Tonight could be the night!  $15 ticket price includes all you can eat "belly buster" dinner.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #127: September 17, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
Tonight could be the night!  $15 ticket price includes all you can eat "belly buster" dinner.

They should also call it "Kids Barf Free" night.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #128: September 17, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
I may arrive late but ill be there.

LETS GO PNATS!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #129: September 17, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
We can't make it tonight, maybe tomorrow if they lose (i'll still hope they win)

have fun and say hi to art.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #130: September 17, 2010, 07:52:46 PM »
If anyone from the board is here.  Where are you?

Offline souldrummer

« Reply #131: September 17, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »
I was there last night. That rain was uncomfortable, but it was worth it. Get it done P-Nats!

Online imref

« Reply #132: September 17, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Congrats P-Nats - 2010 Miller Cup Champions

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #133: September 17, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
Mills Cup

Online imref

« Reply #134: September 17, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
sorry, had beer on the brain.

would have been nice to be there to see Art celebrate.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #135: September 17, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
sorry, had beer on the brain.

would have been nice to be there to see Art celebrate.

Maybe he was at Temple tonight.

Online imref

« Reply #136: September 17, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »
Maybe he was at Temple tonight.

That would be an amazing act of faith if he passed up tonight's game to go to Temple.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #137: September 17, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
Actually he wasn't there.  I believe his son was there to represent.   :pray:  The son said he couldn't be there but did not say why.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #138: September 18, 2010, 12:12:03 AM »
Awesome news for Potomac, and a good sign for our future. Although after tonight for the Nats, even if all our minor league affiliates won their championships tonight, it'd be hard to come away with optimism for the future.

I'm curious though, anyone watching the local news at 11, did any station bother to give this as much as a five second blurb? Or are these moronic sportscasters so blinded by the Redskins they can't give some positive Nationals baseball news, heck, even aside from the Nats connection a local team in its own right, winning a championship the mention it deserves? I'll go out on a limb and say the sportscasters in this city probably don't even there's a baseball stadium in Woodbridge.

But again, awesome win for the reigning champion Potomac Nationals, and a rather overwhelming victory taking the series 3-1.

Offline Upark25

« Reply #139: September 18, 2010, 02:50:35 AM »
Awesome news for Potomac, and a good sign for our future. Although after tonight for the Nats, even if all our minor league affiliates won their championships tonight, it'd be hard to come away with optimism for the future.

I'm curious though, anyone watching the local news at 11, did any station bother to give this as much as a five second blurb? Or are these moronic sportscasters so blinded by the Redskins they can't give some positive Nationals baseball news, heck, even aside from the Nats connection a local team in its own right, winning a championship the mention it deserves? I'll go out on a limb and say the sportscasters in this city probably don't even there's a baseball stadium in Woodbridge.

But again, awesome win for the reigning champion Potomac Nationals, and a rather overwhelming victory taking the series 3-1.
I'm not sure a minor league team winning a championship would outshine any NFL team news in ANY city. Let alone a single-A team in football crazed Washington DC. With all that being said congrats P-Nats!!

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #140: September 18, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »

I heard a brief mention of it on 106.7 the fan. The guy also praised Tyler Moore. The Nats barely get covered, why would a Single A team get covered?

Online imref

« Reply #141: September 18, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »
Wtop mentioned it this morning.

Offline joneric

« Reply #142: September 18, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
Channel 4 promised to give the P-Nats some love during the week. 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #143: September 19, 2010, 12:42:07 AM »
I heard a brief mention of it on 106.7 the fan. The guy also praised Tyler Moore. The Nats barely get covered, why would a Single A team get covered?

Big difference between being covered every day and winning a championship, something you're talking about once a decade in all likelihood. For a minor league team 20ish miles from the news sources, that's affiliated with the towns MLB team? I think most non-DC markets would devote 30 seconds on an 11pm Friday night broadcast to it in all honesty. I don't think that's exaggerating anything or having wild expectations.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #144: September 19, 2010, 12:52:11 AM »
Big difference between being covered every day and winning a championship, something you're talking about once a decade in all likelihood. For a minor league team 20ish miles from the news sources, that's affiliated with the towns MLB team? I think most non-DC markets would devote 30 seconds on an 11pm Friday night broadcast to it in all honesty. I don't think that's exaggerating anything or having wild expectations.
People barely care about the Nationals. Why would they care about an A team? The ratings and attendance for this team is embarrassing. That's why the radio stations don't cover the team.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #145: September 19, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »
Because a lot of people in the area followed the team when it was the only source for baseball in Northern VA and was the Yankees affiliate. A lot of people in the area have gone to Potomac games over the years, particularly in the early to mid 90s, and all the other Nationals related reasons. Maybe I'm over the line in thinking the team, the only minor league team in the broadcast area, an affiliate of the major league team, that was the only professional baseball team in the broadcast area, winning a championship for the first time in several years  when the major league team is awful and performed so poorly that night, said championship news should have replaced the major league game synopsis.

Bottom line, it's just my way of emphasizing what a massively anti-baseball staff the majority of the television stations in DC has. That has nothing to do with how the Nationals perform, and it started the day MLB announced the move from Montreal. The area didn't have baseball for decades, and our sports teams are thus composed and focused on other sports, even now that we have a baseball team. Part of it is viewers don't care about the Nats, and another part is at least two of the networks sports heads are relatively anti-baseball from my limited knowledge. I think given the basic facts I mentioned, most markets would have mentioned this news on the 11pm Friday night broadcast. I'm guessing thats either totally incorrect, or at the very least a point of disagreement given no one else is surprised by the lack of coverage. Maybe thats part of the problem, we are too used to the media in this city being anti baseball, or at best baseball neutral.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #146: September 19, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
Because a lot of people in the area followed the team when it was the only source for baseball in Northern VA and was the Yankees affiliate. A lot of people in the area have gone to Potomac games over the years, particularly in the early to mid 90s, and all the other Nationals related reasons. Maybe I'm over the line in thinking the team, the only minor league team in the broadcast area, an affiliate of the major league team, that was the only professional baseball team in the broadcast area, winning a championship for the first time in several years  when the major league team is awful and performed so poorly that night, said championship news should have replaced the major league game synopsis.

Bottom line, it's just my way of emphasizing what a massively anti-baseball staff the majority of the television stations in DC has. That has nothing to do with how the Nationals perform, and it started the day MLB announced the move from Montreal. The area didn't have baseball for decades, and our sports teams are thus composed and focused on other sports, even now that we have a baseball team. Part of it is viewers don't care about the Nats, and another part is at least two of the networks sports heads are relatively anti-baseball from my limited knowledge. I think given the basic facts I mentioned, most markets would have mentioned this news on the 11pm Friday night broadcast. I'm guessing thats either totally incorrect, or at the very least a point of disagreement given no one else is surprised by the lack of coverage. Maybe thats part of the problem, we are too used to the media in this city being anti baseball, or at best baseball neutral.
People don't care about the Potomac affiliate or else they would go to the games. Last year by my math, Potomac was in the middle of the pack in the league as far as attendance with 2655 fans per game. That is a low number of people to cater to. Let me ask you this, go to a sports bar, ask 100 people about the Potomac Nationals. I guarantee you that they maybe 2-3 could name a player on the team, let alone give you the progress of the team. Minor league baseball is not relevant in this market because this is a major league market. People might have cared about Potomac in the past only because there was no big league team. We are not some small town in the middle of Mississippi. People have options in this area, and they decided they don't care for minor league baseball much (and major league baseball for that matter).

Offline Coladar

« Reply #147: September 19, 2010, 03:15:27 AM »
People don't care about the Potomac affiliate or else they would go to the games. Last year by my math, Potomac was in the middle of the pack in the league as far as attendance with 2655 fans per game. That is a low number of people to cater to. Let me ask you this, go to a sports bar, ask 100 people about the Potomac Nationals. I guarantee you that they maybe 2-3 could name a player on the team, let alone give you the progress of the team. Minor league baseball is not relevant in this market because this is a major league market. People might have cared about Potomac in the past only because there was no big league team. We are not some small town in the middle of Mississippi. People have options in this area, and they decided they don't care for minor league baseball much (and major league baseball for that matter).

I absolutely agree with every part of your post, but my emphasis, indeed, my entire point wasn't about the fan base of Potomac. I would just add briefly, I think a significant part of the failure in attendance in Potomac is the stadium. I know they made some improvements to the scoreboard etc, but it's a truly awful stadium.

I'm likewise not saying I expect, nor want the local news to do daily updates on the Potomac Nationals. My point was strictly focused on our local television news broadcasters, and their anti-baseball stance. Whether that is minor or major league ball, the bottom line is they are extremely lax in covering baseball even when there are no other major sports playing. I was trying to make that point regarding this championship. Despite the lack of a fan base or support, and I won't repeat the reasons I listed in my last post, I just think there are enough of those reasons that winning a championship, as one of two professional ball clubs in the area, would merit a five second "And congratulations to the Potomac Nationals who tonight clinched the Carolina League Championship." I think most other large markets with a similar situation would have done so. None of our local stations did.

But to repeat, I am not making this point in regards to the fan base of Potomac. It's strictly in regards to the staff and broadcasters in the sports departments of 4, 5, 7 and 9. They are all, with WTTG being the best of the four and WRC the worst, notorious in not covering baseball (ie the Nationals, major league version.) and feel this is a prime example. Between lack of pro baseball teams, Potomacs history, connection with the Nationals, I guess we just disagree on the rarity of winning a championship being worthy of a blurb on an 11pm Friday broadcast. Perhaps my point is best summed up in that I think if you kept the circumstances identical in every regard including fanbase of Potomac, and this were a Football or Basketball team, it would have received a significant amount of news. And if it were a hockey team, likely a blurb. Winning a championship is extraordinarily rare, and might not happen again for another decade. It definitely would have received a mention in most other markets with a similar lack of professional ball clubs in my opinion.

But then again, none of this matters and I think we've gotten way off-topic. I just tried to use this as an example of how awful this markets sports departments are at covering baseball, Nationals (MLB) or otherwise. High school football teams receive weekly coverage on at least two stations. Is that really more worthy, a weekly high school football team, of news time than a once a decade championship win? I don't believe so. They certainly don't have a larger fanbase than Potomac. That's my entire point, and reason for my original comments.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #148: September 19, 2010, 03:39:26 AM »
More people care about high school football in this area hence the Washington Post having a high school section. If there was no big league team, Potomac would have received the blurb, but not with a big league team. You have to realize how little 11 o'clock news actually commits to sports. They commit like 2-3 minutes. A majority of that has to be Redskins related because that is what people care about.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #149: September 19, 2010, 09:05:25 AM »
Forgot to post this last week:

LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!