Author Topic: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 1  (Read 17203 times)

Offline natsfan4evr

Re: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 1
« Reply #325: August 10, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
That guy in the blue shirt is an awful dancer

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #326: August 10, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
Raining in MD

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #327: August 10, 2010, 10:13:27 PM »
Morrison takes some awful routes.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #328: August 10, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
GAME OVER.  WE LOSE.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #329: August 10, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
Morrison takes some awful routes.

The Marlins keep excusing him, saying he's only been an OF for a couple weeks, but still....

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #330: August 10, 2010, 10:20:50 PM »
The Marlins keep excusing him, saying he's only been an OF for a couple weeks, but still....

Then they call him up to the majors? :crazy:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #331: August 10, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
Then they call him up to the majors? :crazy:

You should have seen the line-up scheduled for Sunday's game - it was an early spring training split squad lineup.  It had only 3 opening day players, one of which was Bonifacio, who rode pine opening day, and only 4 that opened in the majors. Tracy, who was spent a short stint opening the season with the MLB Cubs before being released from their AAA and then Yankees AAA, was the 4th starter who opened the year in MLB.  The only opening day starters were Hanley and Uggla.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #332: August 10, 2010, 11:07:37 PM »
That guy in the blue shirt is an awful dancer

I resemble that remark
Not a fun night at the ball park, Just hot and miserable

Offline Coladar

« Reply #333: August 10, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »
I resemble that remark
Not a fun night at the ball park, Just hot and miserable

I've never, going to almost every game since 2005, seen the ballpark that empty at the end of a 9 inning, non rain delay, game. Never. I don't know why I even stuck around, but there have almost been more people there at 1am game finishes when we've had crazy rain delays. Just a brutal night combined with a brutal game. I'm never leaving this wonderful AC again...

Until tomorrow night at 7pm. I don't learn my lessons very well.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #334: August 11, 2010, 12:32:43 AM »
Not to repeat what I said earlier, which was about how many people were there at the end of the game. And equally not to pull a Chicken Little, sky is falling type of thing. But I was reading the game's recap on ESPN and noticed something that shocked me. Being at the game tonight, I could tell it wasn't sold out, but it seemed a decent crowd. The recap said attendance was only 25,939. Yes, it was a weeknight. Yes, it was hot as **** out there tonight. But Strasburg's "really, really long awaited return" according to the Nats was announced a week ago, before anyone knew how hot it was. It was Strasburg's first start in 2/3 of a month. If you were the Nat's, wouldn't you be concerned with that attendance number? 26,000, even against the Marlins, is not a good sign. It seems to indicate that once these fair weather fans see Strasburg, they feel that's enough. Bottom line, I think only 26,000 for tonight, considering most tickets should have sold a week ago before we knew how hot it would be, is a very concerning figure when it comes to the future of Strasburg drawing fans in on his starts this year and next.

It was one start, so we'll have to see what happens Sunday and the rest of the season. But it's not a good feeling seeing we only drew 26,000 tonight, regardless of the heat, week-night start, Marlins. The "return of Strasburg", never mind the kids still being out of school, should have offset those negatives a whole lot more than 26,000. I'll point out yet again, don't bother replying saying I'm going nuts over something that doesn't matter. I'm not saying it does, but if anyone thought they'd only sell 26,000 tickets tonight, I'd be surprised. I remember hearing over the weekend on the broadcasts they were expecting a near sell-out tonight. 26,000 is a shocking number all things considered. It better be further proof that they need to resign Dunn or some FA draw, because it looks like they're not going to be able to rely on Strasburg every five days to offset dismal attendance numbers the other four.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #335: August 11, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »
Still bigger than the average crowd they draw.

While they won't be happy.... I doubt it is sending off alarm bells just yet.

« Reply #336: August 11, 2010, 12:53:13 AM »
just hope its a rust, this dude from wpost has already brought up prior, just pray that wont be the case with stras. :('

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #337: August 11, 2010, 01:12:53 AM »
He hit 99.4 on the gun according to Brooks.

He's fine. Just rusty.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #338: August 11, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »

It does debunk the stupid conspiracy theories about DLing him to sell extra tickets.

« Reply #339: August 11, 2010, 01:37:45 AM »
lol i know, its just people judge so much after one start, correct me if im wrong but i saw that he touched triple 1** digits, any way im not to worried, just need command on those secondary pitches

Offline Coladar

« Reply #340: August 11, 2010, 02:08:26 AM »

No, it absolutely isn't sending off alarm bells since it was just one game. But like I said, the mitigating factors of it being the Marlins doesn't matter, since a Strasburg game versus the Phillies or Marlins is going to draw about the same. People are coming to see Strasburg and don't even see who the other team is. The heat equally can be written off, since people have been buying Stras tickets well before the day of the game.

When they were talking about expecting a sellout, combined with the first game off the DL, and draw only 25,000, I will guarantee there are some worried faces in the FO tomorrow. But one game is one game. Sunday will be huge for this teams FO's sanity. Maybe people, between a choice of Tuesday or Sunday, went with Sunday. If there are under 30k, or even around 30k, on Sunday, there will be a panic. For now, maybe tonight was just a highly unanticipated anomaly. Regardless, it is extremely disconcerting to see 25k.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #341: August 11, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Not to repeat what I said earlier, which was about how many people were there at the end of the game. And equally not to pull a Chicken Little, sky is falling type of thing. But I was reading the game's recap on ESPN and noticed something that shocked me. Being at the game tonight, I could tell it wasn't sold out, but it seemed a decent crowd. The recap said attendance was only 25,939. Yes, it was a weeknight. Yes, it was hot as **** out there tonight. But Strasburg's "really, really long awaited return" according to the Nats was announced a week ago, before anyone knew how hot it was. It was Strasburg's first start in 2/3 of a month. If you were the Nat's, wouldn't you be concerned with that attendance number? 26,000, even against the Marlins, is not a good sign. It seems to indicate that once these fair weather fans see Strasburg, they feel that's enough. Bottom line, I think only 26,000 for tonight, considering most tickets should have sold a week ago before we knew how hot it would be, is a very concerning figure when it comes to the future of Strasburg drawing fans in on his starts this year and next.

It was one start, so we'll have to see what happens Sunday and the rest of the season. But it's not a good feeling seeing we only drew 26,000 tonight, regardless of the heat, week-night start, Marlins. The "return of Strasburg", never mind the kids still being out of school, should have offset those negatives a whole lot more than 26,000. I'll point out yet again, don't bother replying saying I'm going nuts over something that doesn't matter. I'm not saying it does, but if anyone thought they'd only sell 26,000 tickets tonight, I'd be surprised. I remember hearing over the weekend on the broadcasts they were expecting a near sell-out tonight. 26,000 is a shocking number all things considered. It better be further proof that they need to resign Dunn or some FA draw, because it looks like they're not going to be able to rely on Strasburg every five days to offset dismal attendance numbers the other four.

26k is a big number for a hot summer tuesday night for a last place team against the Marlins. That's more than double the STH base. There's zero reason to worry. The only reason that many people even showed was for SS. They've been selling out his first few starts and will draw big crowds when he pitches simply because some fans are opting to cherry pick games with the team sucking otherwise. But players like him draw for the novelty, but that wears off, especially considering the number of people who clearly know nothing about baseball that have shown up for those initial starts.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #342: August 11, 2010, 09:59:12 AM »
the thermometer said 103 on the way home yesterday, geting 26k in that weather is a huge draw. This summer has been miserable; i'm surprised anyone shows for some of these games

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #343: August 11, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »
the thermometer said 103 on the way home yesterday, geting 26k in that weather is a huge draw. This summer has been miserable; i'm surprised anyone shows for some of these games

It's so hot my freaking A/C is just running non-stop. :bang:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #344: August 11, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »

Last night was definitely one of the worst weather evenings of the season. You could see the air at the park. Miserable. I rarely leave early, but I gave up.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #345: August 11, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
Hate to say this, but I'm sure this is a good thing that happened to Strasburg (although we lost).

He's a very, very, very humble kid and he's experienced tremendous respect in this league already (against some pretty good line-ups).  He had to battle what 19-20 days without game experience (I'm sorry but simulated games are just that - simulations - not the real thing), so add that to the fact he just wasn't locating his pitches ... nothing to worry about and it's good that he got this out of his system.  Watch him pwn on Sunday.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #346: August 11, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
Hate to say this, but I'm sure this is a good thing that happened to Strasburg (although we lost).

He's a very, very, very humble kid and he's experienced tremendous respect in this league already (against some pretty good line-ups).  He had to battle what 19-20 days without game experience (I'm sorry but simulated games are just that - simulations - not the real thing), so add that to the fact he just wasn't locating his pitches ... nothing to worry about and it's good that he got this out of his system.  Watch him pwn on Sunday.

Of course it was a good thing. You can't win every start.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #347: August 11, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
:lol:

Miller Lite is my "beer" of choice but since I just turned 21 I am going to start expanding my taste in beer. Any opinions/ideas?

If you're up in the 300's at a Nats matchday they've got Pilsner Urquell and Stella on draught (the latter not available at low-attendance times), and behind 310 there's a stand selling Amstel Light in cans - arguably the coldest beer to be had on that level.

Pilsner Urquell is lager as lager should be.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #348: August 11, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »
:lol:

Miller Lite is my "beer" of choice but since I just turned 21 I am going to start expanding my taste in beer. Any opinions/ideas?

I tried Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat at Nats stadium (neighbor from WI had me try it).     It's not bad, kind of like a heavier Blue Moon (wheat).   

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #349: August 11, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »
I like Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat.

Always tasted like Fruit Loops to me, though.