Author Topic: Lannan vs Marquis + SF/Linty's bet  (Read 7292 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Betting on/against Marquis/Lannan
« Reply #75: August 10, 2010, 12:23:52 AM »
My 401K is doing quite well thank you. :clap:

The fact is Marquis is a bum pitcher. Period.

Are you freaking serious? Look, I'll agree as much as the next guy that I think Marquis will end up being a horrific failure this season, and possibly next. But he can at least be given the benefit of the doubt since he's had one bad inning, in one so-so major league start, since coming back from surgery. Before that he's had a successful ML career, and the odds, even if not gut feelings, point to him being successful since he has already proven he can be in the major league level.

Lannan has never been proven to be a success. He was an unknown, and that worked in his favor. Once guys knew what he had, he went downhill markedly. Most of last season, he'd be lights out the first time through a lineup, then go downhill dramatically. This season that got far, far worse. Lannan isn't coming back from an injury, he's coming back from a demotion to AA in which he got rocked as bad as he ever did in the majors. Saying that, at this point, Lannan is going to be excel compared to Marquis is sheer insanity and in spite of every shred of logic and evidence.

And I'll repeat what someone else said. Why the freak are we rooting for guys to fail? It's one thing not having faith in someone and believing they'll fail. Actively hoping they do so is something far different. You do remember that these guys failing means the team we all supposedly root for losing games, yes?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #76: August 10, 2010, 12:26:13 AM »
My 401K is doing quite well thank you. :clap:

The fact is Marquis is a bum pitcher. Period.
I thought you were like... Twenty three?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #77: August 10, 2010, 12:37:18 AM »

I still can't get over the fact that he's older than me, and now he claims he has a 401(k)... gack!

At center of diagram: houston-nat

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #78: August 10, 2010, 12:41:30 AM »
I still can't get over the fact that he's older than me, and now he claims he has a 401(k)... gack!

(Image removed from quote.)

It's obviously bull - no one's 401k is doing well.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #79: August 10, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
And I'll repeat what someone else said. Why the freak are we rooting for guys to fail? It's one thing not having faith in someone and believing they'll fail. Actively hoping they do so is something far different. You do remember that these guys failing means the team we all supposedly root for losing games, yes?

He's not a Nats fan.  I thought that much was established.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #80: August 10, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

He also claimed to have a girlfriend that kept him from being able to post much.  That was BS just as much as the "successful" 401k bit.  Mine was doing okay, even had a positive quarter last year thanks to the geniuses who handle it for me, but not so much now.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #81: August 10, 2010, 01:08:24 AM »
He's not a Nats fan.  I thought that much was established.

I like to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who spends so much time, wasting their lives away discussing a team, that they are at least a fan of said team. But in all likelihood you are correct, my bad. It's always a mistake to apply logic to an illogical situation/person.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #82: August 10, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »
Are you freaking serious? Look, I'll agree as much as the next guy that I think Marquis will end up being a horrific failure this season, and possibly next. But he can at least be given the benefit of the doubt since he's had one bad inning, in one so-so major league start, since coming back from surgery. Before that he's had a successful ML career, and the odds, even if not gut feelings, point to him being successful since he has already proven he can be in the major league level.

Lannan has never been proven to be a success. He was an unknown, and that worked in his favor. Once guys knew what he had, he went downhill markedly. Most of last season, he'd be lights out the first time through a lineup, then go downhill dramatically. This season that got far, far worse. Lannan isn't coming back from an injury, he's coming back from a demotion to AA in which he got rocked as bad as he ever did in the majors. Saying that, at this point, Lannan is going to be excel compared to Marquis is sheer insanity and in spite of every shred of logic and evidence.

I"m not rooting for guys to fail. But answer the question, would we be better off with or without Marquis? Since it is unlikely that he will turn it around we will be better off in the long run if he tanks and they release him in the offseason and eat the money.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #83: August 10, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
22, doesn't mean I don't have a 401K.

Granted mine just started at the company I am at now a few months ago but it is up.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #84: August 10, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
I"m not rooting for guys to fail. But answer the question, would we be better off with or without Marquis? Since it is unlikely that he will turn it around we will be better off in the long run if he tanks and they release him in the offseason and eat the money.

We would have been better off not signing Marquis, of that there is no question. We have signed him, and based on what we have, we will likely end up seeing after a few more starts that not having Marquis now would lose us more games than win us. Or he might tank totally. We have no way of knowing now, after just one start.

On the other hand, we would be far better off without Lannan. He's just been getting worse, gets tanked in AA, got shelled a couple innings his last two starts and got very, very lucky. The initial debate seemed as if it were which is going to blow up worse/get off the team first. Lannan, there's nothing other than a miracle that allows him not to get destroyed the rest of the season. Marquis, there are a ton of explanations for his failures this season, he's had one non-injured start, and he has a proven career record that verifies he can get guys out with his pitches on a consistent basis, in the past. Lannan has none of that as an excuse or as hope for his future.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #85: August 10, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »

Granted mine just started at the company I am at now a few months ago but it is up.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #86: August 10, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »

So wait, his 401k is a couple months old and yet it is doing remarkably well... In just a couple months? *confused*

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #87: August 10, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »

Wait a minute! Sportsfan is 22 years old , just started with his company a few months ago...  Sportsfan is Stephen Strasburg!!!!!!!!!! :hang:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #88: August 10, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
Wait a minute! Sportsfan is 22 years old , just started with his company a few months ago...  Sportsfan is Stephen Strasburg!!!!!!!!!! :hang:

Which is why is 401K is doing well in this economy, as well.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Lannan vs Marquis + SF/Linty's bet
« Reply #89: August 10, 2010, 10:11:53 AM »

I can't believe he walked directly into the original statement trap that I made. Unbelievable!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #90: August 10, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »

Once again he's not taking sample size into account.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #91: August 10, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
Please Linty win this bet

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #92: August 10, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
wait so what is the bet here?

and what are the stakes?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #93: August 10, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »
I bet SF that Marquis would have a better ERA than Lannan over their next three starts. I requested it be a perma ban bet... he, of course, chickened out and only offered a one month ban. I accepted.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #94: August 10, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »
You know, it is getting very tiring arguing over which player is less crappy.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like crappy players. I don't like one crappy player more than another crappy player. I dislike them all equally.

I suppose on a crap team, you argue about which player is the craptiest. If we were in it, would webe arguing over more rbis next series, Dunn vs Zimmerman, or how many ks Strass would get.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #95: August 10, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »
I"m not rooting for guys to fail.

yes you are.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #96: August 10, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »
That's the difference between SF and I.

I'm rooting for Marquis to have a 1.00 ERA and Lannan to have a 1.01 ERA. You know, because I'm actually a fan of the team.... that wants to see them win.

SF is rooting for Marquis to have a 10 ERA.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #97: August 10, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »
I'll bet you both that one of them doesn't make 3 more starts :?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #98: August 10, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »
I'll bet you both that one of them doesn't make 3 more starts :?

SF already built that into the bet... cause he's afraid Lannan will get pulled before hand.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #99: August 10, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
SF already built that into the bet... cause he's afraid Lannan will get pulled before hand.

Save me the trouble of reading back and tell me how that's covered?