Author Topic: Balester down, SS up  (Read 2633 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Online Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Balester down, SS up
« Reply #1: August 09, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »
Good luck to Bally.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: August 09, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
How many option years does Balester have left?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: August 09, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
I'd imagine next year is when he can't be optioned without going through waivers.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: August 09, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
How many option years does Balester have left?

Brian has him listed as 1 more season.

http://natsfarm.com/page/23/

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #5: August 09, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
Brian has him listed as 1 more season.

http://natsfarm.com/page/23/
Next year is his last year for being optioned. Believe it or not Balester was the youngest player on the Nats active roster when they sent him down. He seems like hes been around a while but he is still young! Now Strasburg is the youngest on the 25 man roster.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #6: August 09, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »
All the best Bally

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: August 09, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
I have a question out of ignorance :)     Does a players' options stay with him or are they annual resets?     Spin and Blue give me the impression that a player only gets so many options in his career.    I also read Blue's attachment and get the same sense (options stay with the player for whatever the years are).

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #8: August 09, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
I have a question out of ignorance :)     Does a players' options stay with him or are they annual resets?     Spin and Blue give me the impression that a player only gets so many options in his career.    I also read Blue's attachment and get the same sense (options stay with the player for whatever the years are).
The player gets 4 options once he is in the big leagues. Balester's are 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. It doesn't matter if he's traded he still has only next years option left. So after next year the Nats or whomever club has rights to Bally has to put him on the 25 man roster or they put him through waivers.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #9: August 09, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
OHe should get a call up again soon. His last appearance was nasty. That curve :az: . All the best to haz

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 09, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »
I have a question out of ignorance :)     Does a players' options stay with him or are they annual resets?     Spin and Blue give me the impression that a player only gets so many options in his career.    I also read Blue's attachment and get the same sense (options stay with the player for whatever the years are).

It's not based on transactions, it's based on a year in which an option transaction is conducted.  Once a player's been "optioned" in a year, you can move them up or down any number of times an it doesn't affect their status of having burned one option.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #11: August 09, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »
^^What he said ^^

I always think of it as "option year" not option to eliminate confusion

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #12: August 09, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »
It's not based on transactions, it's based on a year in which an option transaction is conducted.  Once a player's been "optioned" in a year, you can move them up or down any number of times an it doesn't affect their status of having burned one option.

Unless the option is I believe less than 2 weeks in the minors (maybe 3). I think they might bring Maya up on that schedule, and looks like they aren't worried about it with Zimmermann.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #13: August 09, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
If a player is sent down for > 20 days, an option is used.

Players sent down are supposed to remain down for a minimum of 10 days. The only exception is if there is an injury

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #14: August 09, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
If a player is sent down for > 20 days, an option is used.

Players sent down are supposed to remain down for a minimum of 10 days. The only exception is if there is an injury

When was Maya added to the 40 man? Any credence to my theory?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: August 09, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »
Balester throwing 96 consistently was a revelation.  If only he could control that a bit better, and had a little bit more movement on the pitch.  He's got a lot more weaponry than Chad had, but Chad's pinpoint control to the edges of the plate got him far, at least while he was healthy.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: August 10, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
I split off all of the Lannan/Marquis discussion and merged it with the existing Lannan/Marquis thread (which was itself split off from the Dodgers Game 3 thread).

Discussion split from THIS thread begins here:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,19590.msg613752.html#msg613752

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #17: August 14, 2010, 11:10:41 PM »
2 perfect innings with 3Ks tonight for bally at Syracuse.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #18: August 14, 2010, 11:43:47 PM »
 :clap:   :mg:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: August 16, 2010, 09:51:08 PM »
Balestar just got his first hit of the year and scored on a wild pitch.  The mustache was safe as well.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #20: August 17, 2010, 07:16:02 AM »
Balester pitched 2 innings tonite , 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 BB, 1 K, throwing only out of the stretch. 96 MPH fastball to go with his 78 MPH unhittable curveball.
This is a great sign of Good things to come for Balester and the Nats in 2011. Stammen and Balester in the pen will complement Storen, Clippard, Slaten, Burnett and the rest. 

Strasburg, Lannan, Maya, J Zimmermann, Wang, Olsen, Livo, JD, not a bad group of guys to pick from for the rotation 2011.

2011 can't come fast enough.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #21: August 17, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
Balester pitched 2 innings tonite , 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 BB, 1 K, throwing only out of the stretch. 96 MPH fastball to go with his 78 MPH unhittable curveball.
This is a great sign of Good things to come for Balester and the Nats in 2011. Stammen and Balester in the pen will complement Storen, Clippard, Slaten, Burnett and the rest. 

Strasburg, Lannan, Maya, J Zimmermann, Wang, Olsen, Livo, JD, not a bad group of guys to pick from for the rotation 2011.

2011 can't come fast enough.

+1, except for two things:

1. Balester has to grow the full beard. If he wants the ferocious look, he needs the beard. That half-mustache won't intimidate anybody.

2. Stammen earned a place in the starting rotation for the rest of this year, and a chance to compete next year. He's the best active starter, following L Hernandez (imagine the year without Livo!!), and, Strasburg.

Oh, and a third, re Balester: as TT said, Balester has to hit the corners. When he can stay away from the middle of the plate, he'll be ready.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #22: August 17, 2010, 08:29:19 AM »
Balester doesn't need facial hair for initimidation if he keeps beaning people.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #23: August 17, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »
+1, except for two things:

1. Balester has to grow the full beard. If he wants the ferocious look, he needs the beard. That half-mustache won't intimidate anybody.

2. Stammen earned a place in the starting rotation for the rest of this year, and a chance to compete next year. He's the best active starter, following L Hernandez (imagine the year without Livo!!), and, Strasburg.

Oh, and a third, re Balester: as TT said, Balester has to hit the corners. When he can stay away from the middle of the plate, he'll be ready.

That and be able to throw straight gas under a guys chin to back them off the plate. That is perhaps the weakest part of our pitching staff, I think Strasburg and Zimmermann are about the only pitchers we have that have the stones to brush back hitters. Our pitchers need to work on owning the inside part of the plate.