Author Topic: Ripken Part Time Advisor to the O's - More Scuttlebutt!  (Read 951 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Ripken, Orioles discussing returnEmail Print Comments6 Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Cal Ripken Jr. is exploring the possibility of joining the Baltimore Orioles as a part-time adviser, which would ease his transition into a permanent position after his son graduates high school in 2012.

Ripken, who turns 50 next month, has been meeting on a regular basis with Orioles owner Peter Angelos and president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail. The conversations have centered on finding the Hall of Fame infielder a position in the front office on the team he played for throughout his 21-year career.

Should they come up with a plan that would allow Ripken to remain dedicated to his family while serving the Orioles, he would be willing to get back in the game before his son, Ryan, graduates from Gilman School.

"If something does take shape, then I'll start to consider it. And I'll be honest enough to say this is the amount of time I have and these are the commitments that I have elsewhere," Ripken said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"The cool part is, we're thinking about all sorts of things. Is there an opportunity to advise with your free time? How would that work? And then what would that lead into? Where are we going with this? We're examining the possibilities in a real way. I'm satisfied with that," he said.

Ripken became known as the "Iron Man" for playing in a record 2,632 consecutive games. He was a full-time player in every sense of the word before retiring in 2001, and there's little doubt he would bring that same kind of dedication to the Orioles in the front office -- when the time is right.

The sooner the better for the Orioles, who haven't had a winning season since 1997 and currently sit in last place in the AL East with the worst record in the major leagues (29-59).

MacPhail is looking for a new manager, but it won't be Ripken, who has no desire to abandon his family before both his children are in college.

"It has some appeal to me, although in the short term it has no appeal to me because of the time commitment," Ripken said. "But in the bigger picture, sure, I'd consider that."

Ripken acknowledged that it would be foolish to be offered the job without experience, even though his father was a longtime manager and coach.

"All managers have to start at some point, maybe as a bench coach. There are many different ways to do it," Ripken said. "You learn and get experience as you go. It starts with your baseball confidence -- how you see the game and your experience in that regard. Not all players can think like a manager. Some can. I think it boils down to who you are as a baseball guy."

Ripken's conversations with Angelos and MacPhail, however, have focused on a job in the front office.

"They're exploratory talks, they're healthy talks, they're honest, open exchanges with no clear timetable on when that might take place," Ripken said. "I know what I value, and I know what I can commit to and what I can't commit to, and we discuss those things and try to find potential solutions. But there's no pressure here to make a deal and jump in."

Ripken relishes the idea of working with MacPhail, who immediately made an impression with his savvy and knowledge of the game.

"I really like him. I think he's a smart baseball guy. I like how he thinks. I like how he listens," Ripken said. "The whole reason I started to think about this was because of Andy. The whole idea was twofold: Things were getting close with Ryan, and I really like spending time with Andy."

Ripken's current focus is on his family and his health. After a recent visit to the doctor revealed a high cholesterol count, he decided to team with Cheerios to inspire people to take care of their hearts with the "Do What You Love" contest.

"As a baseball player, you're exercising all the time and running around, so the last thing you worry about is how you eat. You're burning off calories and your blood work came back perfect every time," Ripken said. "As you get older, you have to be a little more careful. So I've gotten into the habit of watching my diet."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Rumor was that Billy "Bat that says freak on it" Ripken has a job offer as well.

It was worth $500 at one point? My mom threw all my cards away :bang:

Offline CALSGR8

No worries, its not worth that much anymore.  1st it was rumored that Fleer had a recall of their cards that year.  I knew 2 dealers who said no such recall existed.  Then they got creative on how to cover up the words.  Depending on how it was covered up, also created a buzz.

White patch on the bat?
Black Patch on the bat?
Cross out with Sharpie ?

I've seen it worth from $10 to maybe $25 if that!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
No worries, its not worth that much anymore.  1st it was rumored that Fleer had a recall of their cards that year.  I knew 2 dealers who said no such recall existed.  Then they got creative on how to cover up the words.  Depending on how it was covered up, also created a buzz.

White patch on the bat?
Black Patch on the bat?
Cross out with Sharpie ?

I've seen it worth from $10 to maybe $25 if that!

Neat, thanks. Possibly the greatest baseball prank of all time.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Even the Messiah can't save the Oreos.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Cal better watch out. They're so desperate he might have to play!

Offline HalfSmokes

this just stinks of desperation

Offline CALSGR8

Why?  He's not going to Manage.  He wants bigger things than that.  Maybe Assistant GM.  He wants to run a farm system and I think he'd be good!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Billy Ripken is hilarious. I saw Cal & Billy speak at a coaches clinic one time and he was telling absurd stories and called Cal "golden boy" the whole time.  :rofl:

Offline HalfSmokes

To me it looks like they're setting him up to be manager after his kids graduate

Offline CALSGR8

No I don't think so.  His wish is always to be the person in charge.  Also, I doubt Showalter will only manage for a year.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Cal is great.  Hey!  CALSGR8!  :lol:

But he was a great player.

Offline CALSGR8

Cal is great.  Hey!  CALSGR8!  :lol:

But he was a great player.

Uh Yeah!  Don't tell me it took you this long to figure THAT out?!!!

:roll: ;)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Uh Yeah!  Don't tell me it took you this long to figure THAT out?!!!

:roll: ;)
For some reason I thought it was "Cal's Girl 8" :rofl:

Offline CALSGR8