Author Topic: Just Ask Selig  (Read 391 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• Be Loud * Be Proud * Be Positive
Just Ask Selig
« Topic Start: July 11, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
Selig's having a Chat tomorrow.  Anyone going to chime in?  

Here's my contribution:

Dear Mr. Selig,

I have a question for you. Every All-Star game its the same thing. Whoever is
managing picks the majority of players from their own teams rather than someone
from another team who is just as talented or better!

I don't think the NY Yankees need any more exposure when someone from the White
Sox or Twins may even be better than a NY Yankee. By picking their own players
that manager is also affecting the contracts of those other players not picked.
If say Ryan Zimmerman has a clause in his contract that he will make extra money
for being in the All-Star game, yet Jerry Manual picks his 3RD baseman (I mean
Ryan Z did win a SILVER SLUGGER AND A GOLD GLOVE LAST YEAR!)then he's denying
another player to get more money as WELL AS A WELL DESERVED TRIP TO ANAHEIM. I
mean wouldn't you like to watch one of the best THIRD BASEMEN IN THE NATIONAL
LEAGUE or an also ran that just happens to be the favorite of the manager.
Which do you think is more fair?!

Offline Coladar

Re: Just Ask Selig
« Reply #1: July 12, 2010, 01:13:47 AM »
I think a lot of people only care about one question... Well, actually one and a half. When are you finally going to retire so the game can move onto the future? And how much/what would it take to get you to announce your retirement on Wednesday?

Online HalfSmokes

• You're sicke Jesse, sick sick sick
« Reply #2: July 12, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
Managers who get to the world series get that privilege. If they want to reward players, good for them.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #3: July 12, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
It's an ALL STAR game.  Not a PHILLIES All stars and Yankees All Star game.  This is the one Chance fans get to see THEIR stars!  They already had their glory in the biggest stage of Baseball (besides the HOF).  Its a chance to see other stars on a National stage.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: July 12, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »
It's an ALL STAR game.  Not a PHILLIES All stars and Yankees All Star game.  This is the one Chance fans get to see THEIR stars!  They already had their glory in the biggest stage of Baseball (besides the HOF).  Its a chance to see other stars on a National stage.

their 1 chance? Even a team that misses the playoffs plays 162 games, and if the fans were so concerned about seeing a certian player, they'd vote them in.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #5: July 12, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »
If that were the case then Zimmerman should be on the team.  VOTTO never should have been left off as well as Willingham.  You CAN have players on a team that doesn't make the playoffs,  but does well.  The ALL STAR GAME was initially supposed to be an exhibition game using great players from ALL teams!  That's why its AN ALL Star game. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: July 12, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
If that were the case then Zimmerman should be on the team.  VOTTO never should have been left off as well as Willingham.  You CAN have players on a team that doesn't make the playoffs,  but does well.  The ALL STAR GAME was initially supposed to be an exhibition game using great players from ALL teams!  That's why its AN ALL Star game. 

then vote for them. The fact is, the players who the fans wanted to see are the ones playing. I have no problem with the managers being able to fill out (however randomly) their rosters.

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: July 12, 2010, 07:31:55 PM »
then vote for them. The fact is, the players who the fans wanted to see are the ones playing. I have no problem with the managers being able to fill out (however randomly) their rosters.

Charlie Manuel had to have help pronouncing Martin Prado's last name  :shock:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: July 12, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Charlie Manuel had to have help pronouncing Martin Prado's last name  :shock:

Marshall Playdough

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #9: July 13, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
I think a lot of people only care about one question... Well, actually one and a half. When are you finally going to retire so the game can move onto the future? And how much/what would it take to get you to announce your retirement on Wednesday?
Bud Selig advanced the game further then any other commissioner that I can recall.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #10: July 13, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
Selig's having a Chat tomorrow.  Anyone going to chime in? 

Here's my contribution:

Dear Mr. Selig,

I have a question for you. Every All-Star game its the same thing. Whoever is
managing picks the majority of players from their own teams rather than someone
from another team who is just as talented or better!

I don't think the NY Yankees need any more exposure when someone from the White
Sox or Twins may even be better than a NY Yankee. By picking their own players
that manager is also affecting the contracts of those other players not picked.
If say Ryan Zimmerman has a clause in his contract that he will make extra money
for being in the All-Star game, yet Jerry Manual picks his 3RD baseman (I mean
Ryan Z did win a SILVER SLUGGER AND A GOLD GLOVE LAST YEAR!)then he's denying
another player to get more money as WELL AS A WELL DESERVED TRIP TO ANAHEIM. I
mean wouldn't you like to watch one of the best THIRD BASEMEN IN THE NATIONAL
LEAGUE or an also ran that just happens to be the favorite of the manager.
Which do you think is more fair?!

First of all, I wouldn't even waste my time typing up a question to Selig. There's no way that he gets a tough question to answer. I'd expect that the Commissioner's Office has selected a set of topics to discuss, and then the moderator picks the questions closest to the predetermined topics.

As for Jerry Manual picking his 3rd Baseman in the quote above. David Wright was elected by the fans, not chosen by Charlie Manual. When selecting the bench players, Scott Rolen got the nod over Zimmernan. Rolen's having a pretty comparable year to Ryan. I'd have put Ryan on the team ahead of Omar Infante, or one of the 1st basemen. The All Star team doesn't need 4 first baseman. Finally, how do they choose Hong Chi Kuo as a replacement for Jason Heyward. Shouldn't they have added another hitter in that slot, like Willingham.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #11: July 13, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »
Bud Selig advanced the game further then any other commissioner that I can recall.

I would absolutely agree with that statement despite the hatred that exists for Selig. My problem is he advanced the game almost two decades ago, and has allowed it to grow stagnant. He made his rather revolutionary changes, then seemed to think the game was fine. He has choked the past ten years with his stubborn refusal to embrace change despite the massive changes he instituted in the 90s. He did his part, made serious advancements to the game, but it's well past time for him to go. He is hurting the game by keeping this status quo.  Instant replay, doing something, anything about the DH, plus a number of controversial things I won't bother mentioning.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #12: July 13, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
First of all, I wouldn't even waste my time typing up a question to Selig. There's no way that he gets a tough question to answer. I'd expect that the Commissioner's Office has selected a set of topics to discuss, and then the moderator picks the questions closest to the predetermined topics.

As for Jerry Manual picking his 3rd Baseman in the quote above. David Wright was elected by the fans, not chosen by Charlie Manual. When selecting the bench players, Scott Rolen got the nod over Zimmernan. Rolen's having a pretty comparable year to Ryan. I'd have put Ryan on the team ahead of Omar Infante, or one of the 1st basemen. The All Star team doesn't need 4 first baseman. Finally, how do they choose Hong Chi Kuo as a replacement for Jason Heyward. Shouldn't they have added another hitter in that slot, like Willingham.

Kuo is 0-31 against LHB this year.

He's a very practical late game piece if Manual wants to try and win the game.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: July 13, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »
The DH cuts both ways- some love it, some hate it. I personally like the compromise. What you call stagnant, I would call respecting history. Then again I don't like yearly rule changes like football seems obsessed with

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #14: July 14, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
Selig's feigned ignorance regarding PHDs is shameful.