Author Topic: Research on pitching mechanics (& a note about Strasburg)  (Read 1691 times)

Offline SheDoesBaseball

Pagliarulo's "knowledge" is certainly not science based.  We're talking about a guy, with all due respect, who was an average (at best) 3rd baseman evaluating "data" from "3 sources" on all American League pitchers to determine what exactly?  His motivation for this project is anger - he does not concur with Andrews and Flesig (possibly two of the most well respected orthopedic surgeons in the country) and as such, he's launched a "Soprano's style campaign" attempting to discredit their years of published research.  My advice to Pags: Get a real job like most retired players, stop being so pissed off at the world and accept that most people who follow the Yankees and baseball in general, will remember Yankees number 13 as ARod's number (thank goodness). 

Look, in science, you need actual proof to back up your statistics.  You simply cannot make a blanket statement that you are in possession of years worth of science based data if the "science based" data was collected by a group of retired baseball players and a couple of college interns watching pitchers on the MLB channel.  WTF? Seriously? 

I'm all for preventing injury, but I agree with the earlier posts that address the vagueness of this "project".  It is my understanding that Pags has been chasing this dream for years and to date no takers.  The reason?  Well, it may because he isn't Willie Wonka and we aren't in the chocolate factory.  Pags' history as an "A-Hole" is no secret i the industry and MLB has been monitoring him carefully since he's made it his life in retirement's mission to attack anyone who stands in his way or questions the validity of his data.

We all have theories, we all have ideas, some good, some bad...Pags' idea is NOT going to revolutionize the way doctors (you know, the folks who spend their entire lives studying this stuff) approach sports performance and if he wants to seriously add value to the field of sports research he may want to begin by working with them and recognize that there are scores of professionals who have been collecting REAL data for years. 

Knowledge is power only if it adds value - and in this case, not so much.