Author Topic: NASCAR in DC area: Old Dominion Speedway  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
NASCAR in DC area: Old Dominion Speedway
« Topic Start: September 02, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »
This thread is specifically for TomTerp...since he said he was interested in hearing about it.  Gonna be taking my daughter to Old Dominion Speedway tonight...it's a tradition in my family since I was a child.  

There were two really fun things that stood out among the rest that my parents did on the weekends to entertain the family.  Going to minor league baseball games (Alexandria Dukes) and "going to the races".  My mom would pack a bag of popcorn, some sandwiches and a thermos of kool-aid.  Grab a blanket and head for redneckville, USA!  If only I realized that I would be living not 20 miles away when I grew up.  Back then...Prince William was nothing but farms and trailer parks.  We called it "out in the sticks" or "in the boonies".  Now look...people living in friggin Garrisonville!   :roll:   I remember when the Garrisonville exit had one gas station - the place didn't even have it's own post office.   :?

Anyways, back on subject - if you plan on seeing racing at ODS, you better do it soon.  The property has already been bought out by a real estate developer.  Although they said construction is not immediate...I imagine racing will be gone around 2008 or 9.

Track's accessable from I-66 or I-95 off the highway on old Route 234.  Check the website out for more details: http://www.olddominionspeedway.com

Quote from: "ODS"
Old Dominion Speedway located in Manassas, Virginia is Washington DC?s Metropolitan Motorsports facility. Almost every Friday night (March through October), Old Dominion?s Drag Strip is in full swing. Featuring Top Sportsman, Rails, Motorcycles, 6.0 Street Stock and Foot Brake Classes. It?s thrilling racing action sanctioned by The Southern Bracket Racing Association (SBRA). Old Dominion Speedway?s Drag Strip is the oldest on the east coast. Visit our history page for additional information.

Saturday nights are dedicated to our NASCAR fans. NASCAR Dodge Weekly Racing Series features NASCAR Late Model, Grand Stock, Mini Stock and Speedway Sportsman racing action. ODS is the home of Late Model Stock Cars, the 2003 National Champion, Mark McFarland, and the track where the greatest stock car legends of all time have raced. On selected nights, see INEX Legends racing action. ODS short track racing is exciting and action packed ? DON?T MISS IT!

Come see tomorrow?s future NASCAR stars every Saturday night at Old Dominion Speedway, ?Where Racing is Truly Legendary?.

Quote from: "ODS"
Old Dominion Speedway - Years In Review

Over the years, the Old Dominion Speedway has provided the area with exciting NASCAR Racing Series action, Saturday night style. This is where the local driver can come out, try his hand at driving a powerful stock car, and maybe, just maybe, move forward into racing as not only a hobby, but as a way to make a living.

Many drivers who have competed on the 3/8 mile oval, formerly owned by the Gore family for over 50 years, have went on to make it big in the top rank Winston Cup Circuit. Drivers like Darrell Waltrip, David Pearson, Bobby Allison, Morgan Shephard, the Burton brothers, and of course the "King" Richard Petty. By the way, 2 of Petty's official 200 wins are at the Old Dominion Speedway. Other Winston Cup drivers who have visited victory lane include Ned Jarrett (a 500 lap event), Junior Johnson, and the late Elmo Langley. The following is just a glimpse of the action over the past 24 years at Virginia's Supertrack, the Old Dominion Speedway.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #1: September 02, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »

OLD DOMINION SPEEDWAY
Nice article about the track:
http://insiderracingnews.com/KR/081306.html

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: September 03, 2006, 09:23:56 AM »
Thanks Sens, that's great stuff.  I don't really care much one way or the other about racing, but my son likes it so I wanted to get him some exposure.  And who knows, lots of folks apparently get sucked in by trying it.

I had no idea the track was in the Manassas area.  That makes it quite feasible to do a birthday party for he and his friends, among other ideas.  

Thanks again for posting this.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #3: September 03, 2006, 12:43:32 PM »
I went once a few years ago & I had no idea there were so many rednecks in the Northern VA area.