Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nats vs. Rockies, Game 2  (Read 18171 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Gameday Thread: Nats vs. Rockies, Game 2
« Topic Start: July 19, 2005, 04:45:24 PM »

Shawn Chacon, RHP (1-5, 4.30)
Rockies (32-59)

John Patterson, RHP (3-2, 2.92)
Nationals (53-40)

MLB.com scouting report: John Patterson makes his 17th start of the season Tuesday at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, but looking at his record you'd never know it.

Patterson has pitched well enough to win his share of games -- look no further than his sterling 2.92 ERA -- but the right-hander is just 3-2 and hasn't earned a decision in his past five starts.

His last time out on Thursday, Patterson surrendered two runs in six innings against Milwaukee, but the Brewers won the game, 4-2, with a two-run double from Damian Miller in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Shawn Chacon is scheduled to make the start Tuesday for the Rockies. Chacon faced the Expos twice last season, but both appearances were out of the bullpen. He earned a save and struck out three hitters in a total of two innings.

An error by Vinny Castilla in the ninth inning Monday allowed the Rockies to win the first game of the series, 5-4.

Probable Starting Lineups:
Code: [Select]
  Colorado               Washington
1. Cory Sullivan, CF      Jamey Carroll, SS
2. Aaron Miles, 2B        Jose Vidro, 2B
3. Todd Helton, 1B        Brad Wilkerson, 1B
4. Eric Byrnes, RF        Jose Guillen, RF
5. Garrett Atkins, 3B     Brian Schneider, C
6. Matt Holliday, LF      Preston Wilson, CF
7. Luis A. Gonzalez, SS   Ryan Church, LF
8. Danny Ardoin, C        Carlos Baerga, 3B
9. Shawn Chacon, P        John Patterson, P

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #1: July 19, 2005, 06:59:44 PM »
Alright guys...let's STOP THE BLEEDING!  Let's GO NATS!   :evil:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #2: July 19, 2005, 07:01:48 PM »
Well they won't be pitching around Guillen after the night Schneider had last night, that's for sure ;)

goin2cthenats

« Reply #3: July 19, 2005, 07:03:29 PM »
Wilkerson isnt leading off!!!!!  :D  :D

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: July 19, 2005, 07:07:33 PM »
Man, I wonder if that is Frank's lineup or Bowden's?  It's almost as though they pulled the batting order of a hat...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #5: July 19, 2005, 07:20:11 PM »
Like a very bad joke...we keep getting runners on and into scoring position but FAIL TO SCORE.   :cry:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: July 19, 2005, 07:22:02 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Like a very bad joke...we keep getting runners on and into scoring position but FAIL TO SCORE.   :cry:

Yeah, unfortunate.  I still like this lineup, though.  It seems a lot less soft than our regular lineup.  Even the bottom of the order isn't that bad.  Then again I guess the fact that Guzman is missing is probably what accounts for most of it :lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: July 19, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
That's ok, this is how they won their games before the slump... They are getting on base and it starts from there...

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: July 19, 2005, 07:40:58 PM »
alright, now this is the kind of rhythm I like to see.  2-0 Nats 8)

Where is everyone I wonder?  We had almost 250 posts in the Gameday thread last night and yet crickets so far tonight...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: July 19, 2005, 07:43:57 PM »
Maybe they subconsciously think all those posts tired the team last night and tonight they are spending more time reading than posting... lol

NatsCaps19

« Reply #10: July 19, 2005, 07:46:02 PM »
i'm here  8)

Montcobaseball

« Reply #11: July 19, 2005, 07:46:36 PM »
Maybe Bowden and Robinson read this board or read the papers.  Some of us have been calling for Church to play everyday and let Byrd sit on his ass definitely to get rid of Automatic out Guzman and what happens?  Both RBI's by Church and Carroll.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #12: July 19, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Maybe they subconsciously think all those posts tired the team last night and tonight they are spending more time reading than posting... lol

I'll tell you that, for my part, last night was a mentally exhausting and depressing experience. (So bad I was cranky and shouty with my girlfriend on the phone afterwards...try explaining to your gf that you're in a crappy mood because your baseball team dropped a big game, and see how far it gets you...)  Because of that, I'm almost scared to start play-by-playing it here.  I mean, sure we have a 2-0 lead.  Sure Guzman is OUT OF THE FRIGGING LINEUP and Vinny's getting a much-needed rest.  But still: what's to say the Error Gremlin won't strike again tonight?  

I'll feel better if we get 4 runs on the board.  I have faith in Patterson.  I even have faith in our pen (I've seen no reason, absent one unfortunate 2-run homer, to be wary about Gary Majewski, for example).  I have no faith that we won't make stupid mistakes, however.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #13: July 19, 2005, 07:50:23 PM »
Man, the Governor of Colorado is a guest in the booth on the MLB broadcast is talking with the Rockies broadcasters and man, they are all praising the the fact that there's baseball in D.C.  They are also saying some nice things about D.C.

You locals better start walking taller, the baseball world is watching...

NatsCaps19

« Reply #14: July 19, 2005, 07:51:55 PM »
nice double by Guillen!!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #15: July 19, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »
They are looking alot better tonight....the bats are making contact and the guys are motivated.   :)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #16: July 19, 2005, 07:54:01 PM »
Yeah...I'm watching FSN too Ken...they should work for the D.C. Trade & Tourism Bureau!  LOL   8)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #17: July 19, 2005, 07:56:36 PM »
LOL Maybe they do, and work on a commission basis...

Offline esoteric

« Reply #18: July 19, 2005, 07:57:12 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
They are looking alot better tonight....the bats are making contact and the guys are motivated.   :)

True...for whatever reason I'm getting a different feeling than last night's disgrace (and the more I think about how miserably that game was played the angrier I get - in all honesty we didn't even deserve to be in a position to pull it out, given how we played).  

But still, with every rally-killing double play I die a little death.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #19: July 19, 2005, 07:59:38 PM »
Given my jinxing abilities, I hope I don't regret saying this, but damn is John Patterson ever an impressive pitcher.  He's arguably got the best stuff of anyone on the staff, if not the endurance.

edit: 9 in a row.  GO JOHNNY GO!

Offline esoteric

« Reply #20: July 19, 2005, 08:17:50 PM »
Okay, so it's top of the 5th, two on and 1 out...will the wheels fall off now?  Or do we keep our scat together?

edit: Bases loaded, 2 out...oh dear.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #21: July 19, 2005, 08:24:58 PM »
Wow, I just cameback and the nats are leading 2-0.When I'm not here the nats are always winning...so lol, I shouldn't come here too often while there are games.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #22: July 19, 2005, 08:27:08 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"
Wow, I just cameback and the nats are leading 2-0.When I'm not here the nats are always winning...so lol, I shouldn't come here too often while there are games.

C'est vrai, crise ton camp calise.... LOL

Nahhh, stick around, we need everyone in good groove...

Offline esoteric

« Reply #23: July 19, 2005, 08:27:45 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"

Yeah, Mr. Z.  I hate to sound rude, but maybe you should just come back after the ninth, okay?

:D

(And you should have figured this out by now: I'M the jinx around here, not you.)

Offline esoteric

« Reply #24: July 19, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »
<--- In honor of my jinx-like qualities, I have finally selected an appropriate avatar.