Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 20786 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Topic Start: June 28, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »
Washington Nationals
33-43 / 5th NL East
CF Nyjer Morgan
C Ivan Rodriguez
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
LF Josh Willingham
RF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
2B Alberto Gonzalez
SP Stephen Strasburg

Atlanta Braves
44-32 / 1st NL East
2B Martin Prado
RF Melky Cabrera
3B Chipper Jones
C Brian McCann
1B Troy Glaus
LF Eric Hinske
SS Yunel Escobar
CF Gregor Blanco
SP Tim Hudson

this is when our season turns back around :clap: :clap: :clap:

i'll clean it up a bit later if i get the chance (strasburg is undefeated when i'm @ the beach)

Offline Fan037

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #1: June 28, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the pitching match-up.  As for the season turning around, I can only hope you're right.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #2: June 28, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
Yep, the start of our re-ascension towards .500 baseball!

To infinity, and beyond!!!

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #3: June 28, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
Line-up

1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Ivan Rodriguez, C
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Roger Bernadina, RF
7. Ian Desmond, SS
8. Alberto Gonzalez, 2B
9. Stephen Strasburg, SP

It is beautiful.

I don't think passion and personality are the same thing. Zimmerman is basically a robot that crushes the souls of those that stand in his way. I think the reason people now see him as not coming through in the clutch is the fact that with an almost dead in the water Morgan and a .308 OBP in front of him in the line-up he just doesn't get as many chances as a three hitter on a good team.

Willingham has not has as good a season as Zimmerman, but yet has better RBI numbers. It isn't because Willingham is some super clutch player that is trying harder. It is because Zimmerman and Dunn get on base and give him a chance to drive in runs. The top of the order and the fact that it isn't shaken up except for that brief time when Nyjer and Guzman were switched, which really didn't help anything. This team should either try Pudge at two, see if Desmond really is better in that spot. bench Morgan and bat Bernadina, Morse 1-2, or trade for Kelly Johnson and bat him two.

And it was partly my idea.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: June 28, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
I don't see how they win games with such an awful hitting outfield and an aging sloth at 3b.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: June 28, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
Our OF is so bad. Our OF should be:
RF: Heyward (Available only to Pinch Run)
CF: McLouth (DL) /Cabrera
LF: Diaz (DL) /Hinske

Instead we have a 4th OF, a utility IF, and Gregor Blanco in our OF.  :smh:

Simultaneous posts :lol: Well said.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #6: June 28, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Our lineup is a joke. Once again, Riggleman continues to be dumb.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #7: June 28, 2010, 04:03:51 PM »

We have our best defender at second (and let's face it Guzman and Kennedy offer just as much offensively), and a guy that can get on base in the two hole.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #8: June 28, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »
I don't see how they win games with such an awful hitting outfield and an aging sloth at 3b.

Hudson, Lowe, Medlen, Hanson

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #9: June 28, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »
We have our best defender at second (and let's face it Guzman and Kennedy offer just as much offensively), and a guy that can get on base in the two hole.
Gonzalez is an average defender at 2B which is an upgrade over Guzman/Kennedy but he is basically Wil Nieves at the plate when he faces RHP. We don't need another offensive liability especially if Desmond and the pitcher are also starting.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #10: June 28, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
Hudson, Lowe, Medlen, Hanson, Wagner
Fixed

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #11: June 28, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
And starting Wednesday, Jurrjens. That is a good rotation, but Hanson has looked like Kawakami recently.
You need OF help, right?  Willie Harris for Hanson even up...OK we will throw in Jason Bergman!!

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #12: June 28, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
 :D

you're OK

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: June 28, 2010, 04:37:32 PM »

Prado is having an MVP year and Glaus apparently found a time machine.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: June 28, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
Our OF is so bad. Our OF should be:
RF: Heyward (Available only to Pinch Run)
CF: McLouth (DL) /Cabrera
LF: Diaz (DL) /Hinske

Instead we have a 4th OF, a utility IF, and Gregor Blanco in our OF.  :smh:

I still keep expecting to see Francoeur out there everytime I see the Bravos.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: June 28, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »

Amen.  Give brother Algo a few games at 2nd.   Let's see if his bat really is improved from last year.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: June 28, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
Riggleman holds team meeting:

ATLANTA -- Jim Riggleman held a closed-door team meeting before batting practice this afternoon, the first tangible sign of dissatisfaction from the Nationals manager toward his team's recent play.

Nats players were already scheduled to hold a meeting with union representatives at 4:30 p.m. Before that began, Riggleman told Adam Dunn (the club's player rep) to keep everyone in the clubhouse at the end of the union session so he could speak to them.

The Nationals enter tonight's game against the Braves having lost 12 of their last 15 games. Six of those losses (including the last four) have come by one run. All three losses this weekend in Baltimore came after the Nats held leads of at least three runs.

"We're tired of complimenting the other team all the time," Riggleman said during his regular pregame media session before the team meeting. "We've got to beat the other team. We've got to get after it."

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #17: June 28, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
Amen.  Give brother Algo a few games at 2nd.   Let's see if his bat really is improved from last year.
Albert Gonzalez is not a good hitter. Look at this:

Player A:
.416 OPS
.558 OPS

Player B:
.446 OPS
.555 OPS

The first player is Alberto Gozalez's numbers vs RHP this year and then his career numbers vs. RHP. Player B is Wil Nieves and the first column is his numbers this year and the 2nd column is Nieves numbers in his career. Hard to differentiate them at the plate when Riggleman misuses him.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #18: June 28, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
ATLANTA -- Jim Riggleman held a closed-door team meeting before batting practice this afternoon, the first tangible sign of dissatisfaction from the Nationals manager toward his team's recent play.

Nats players were already scheduled to hold a meeting with union representatives at 4:30 p.m. Before that began, Riggleman told Adam Dunn (the club's player rep) to keep everyone in the clubhouse at the end of the union session so he could speak to them.

The Nationals enter tonight's game against the Braves having lost 12 of their last 15 games. Six of those losses (including the last four) have come by one run. All three losses this weekend in Baltimore came after the Nats held leads of at least three runs.

"We're tired of complimenting the other team all the time," Riggleman said during his regular pregame media session before the team meeting. "We've got to beat the other team. We've got to get after it."

A win tonight

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: June 28, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
good for riggleman to do that.  i have a hunch this team will win more than lose before all-star break.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: June 28, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
It's not a good thing.

The players should have taken it into their own hands to call a meeting... to me that shows that either they a.) don't care about losing or b.) they think everything is fine.

A manager calling a meeting is like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It might stop some of the bleeding... but until the root of the problem (players truly caring) is addressed, it'll just be a stop gap measure.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: June 28, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
The players should have taken it into their own hands to call a meeting... to me that shows that either they a.) don't care about losing or b.) they think everything is fine.
not necessarilly.  It might mean there's not a leader in the clubhouse to step up and say enough is enough.  People can notice things are wrong and not be happy but might not feel the freedom to be that guy.  That guy, ideally wold be Zim, but I don't know if his personality lends him to be that guy.  He could be come it.  Kinda suprised Pudge hasn't stepped into that role a bit.

A manager calling a meeting is like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It might stop some of the bleeding... but until the root of the problem (players truly caring) is addressed, it'll just be a stop gap measure.
Hopefully it will lead to someone on the team taking his cue and taking on that role in the future.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #22: June 28, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
Riggleman holds team meeting:

I think Riggs got called on the carpet after reading Rizzo's comments in the Bos' column today.   It's good to hear that he's unhappy.   Now beat the Braves ...

There ya go ... :)

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: June 28, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »
not necessarilly.  It might mean there's not a leader in the clubhouse to step up and say enough is enough.  People can notice things are wrong and not be happy but might not feel the freedom to be that guy.  That guy, ideally wold be Zim, but I don't know if his personality lends him to be that guy.  He could be come it.  Kinda suprised Pudge hasn't stepped into that role a bit.

I feel the same. Pudge was brought in to provide that type of leadership. As a former catcher, I always thought it was my job to to act like a dick when teammates were slacking.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #24: June 28, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
I think Riggs got called on the carpet after reading Rizzo's comments in the Bos' column today.   It's good to hear that he's unhappy.
possible.