This is a message I posted on Nationals.com last night after the rock bottom loss to the Rockies:
After tonights game, I believe it is clear that the Nationals will not only not win the division, but not even win the wild card with the bunch of so called ballplayers they put out on the field tonight. It seems to me that the only starters making any effort to win and showing heart are Vidro, Guillen, Wilson, Church, and Schneider, and it seems that Nick Johnson likes wearing a bra and matching panties because he hasn't come back yet! As for the others, I don't even know where to begin. After some thought, I came up with some roster moves that could shake this team up and hopefully wake them up!
1. SS - Bench Guzman! Start Jamie Carroll in his place. He's not bad defensively, but where he lacks in the field he makes up for at the plate. At least when he comes up to bat, it's not an automatic out.
2. CF/1B - Wiff-erson! Either bench him or put him on the DL, because he's not lighting it up in the field, and he's unreliable at the plate. Promote Rick Short from AAA New Orleans. In 71 games, he's batting .377, with 92 hits, and 46 RBI's. This guy doesn't hit for power, but he gets on base, and that's exactly what we expect a possible #2 or #8 hitter.
3. 1B - Nick Johnson! Anyone up for taking a collection so we can buy this guy a gift certificate to Victorias Secret? Maybe if he isn't happy in his matching bra and panties, he could go get a nice silk nighty with a matching pair of crotchless panties. He needs to get off the rag and play some ball!
4. 3B - Call up Brandan Harris! Now I know that Harris may not be the greatest 3B in the history of baseball, but neither is Vinny Castilla. It is clear that Vinny is tired, and aching. In his defense, he needs a break every now and then. What Harris does is give the Nats power at the corner. In AAA he's hitting .285 with 9 HR's and 52 RBI's. The first time this kid stepped up to the plate earlier in the season against the Cardinals, he belted a home run! Give him a start every 4th or 5th game, 'cause Vinny needs a rest. Clearly, Zimmerman is the 3B of our future, and that's the direction we need to take at 3B. Stick with what we got, and prepare for Zimmerman in a year or two.
5. Cut Cordero!! Why in the world was this worthless wife beater ever signed!? I think it's a three way race to see who s*cks more, Wifferson, Guzman, or this piece of $hit. JB, CUT HIM!!!!!!
6. Call up Tyrell Goodwin!!! This gives us a 4th outfielder allowing us to rest one of the starting outfielders (Church, Wilson, & Guillen) every day or every other day. My good Nats friends, GODWIN is the lead off man we are currently lacking! In AAA, he's hitting .329, with 102 hits, 14 2B's, and 16 stollen bases! BUT, the stat that catches my eye is that in 310 plate appearances, he only K'd 45 times! The kid was a AAA all star! Although I despise them, the Braves have a great lead off man in Furcal, who usually steals second if he doesn't get a double. If we had Godwin leading off, and letting him run, imagine what a difference "no out and a runner on second" would make!
7. Get an Owner! This team can only stay competitive for so long without an owner. The increase in spendable money we will have with an owner will make us serious contenders for off season free agents, and the occasional "cleaning house" that occurs with some teams this time of the season.
8. Find a good retirement home for Frank Robinson! This guy has made numerous bonehead calls all season, and tonight was no exception. No disrespect to Jamie, but why bat him in the bottom of the 9th, when you have Church up to bat with 2 on and one out. We needed a base hit in one of the outfield alleys, not a double play. Just his constant hard on for Will Cordero makes me want the new owner to can his @$$!!