Author Topic: Shake up the team  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Glockypoo

Re: Shake up the team
« Reply #25: June 15, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
Mortgaging what future? The random dudes that survived the horrible, terrible drafts under Bowden?

Look at this:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2006xteam.php?team=WAS

The only guy left to contribute is Arnesen, a college pitcher drafted 4 drafts ago. So much money and time wasted on awful high school starters.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=was&year=2007

Meyers, also a college guy.

This is not Cameron Maybin, up to early garbage. Sink or swim for these guys. OMFG 1 less option on our 17th round pick from 2006. THE FUTURE IS DEAD.

You guys have been fed this crap for too long. I say right here, right now - overvaluing terrible Bowden prospects is what's been wrong with this team for too long.

I was talking more about the Derek Norris' of the world - which is the type of prospect being floated around when the Oswalt trade rumors began swirling.

I wasn't suggesting any of your ideas were mortgaging the future (they clearly aren't), I was just thinking out loud that trading away any of our real prospects right now would be a mistake. That's all.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: June 15, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
I was talking more about the Derek Norris' of the world - which is the type of prospect being floated around when the Oswalt trade rumors began swirling.

I wasn't suggesting any of your ideas were mortgaging the future (they clearly aren't), I was just thinking out loud that trading away any of our real prospects right now would be a mistake. That's all.
Not singling you out at all. Tom went crazy at the though of a Brad Meyers call up. Potomac Cannons is Stan Kasten in disguise. The future is next year. Experiment now, win then. Crazy?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #27: June 15, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
They need to catch the ball. They make too many errors on plays that a high school player would be expected to make. Pitching help is coming and not all that far away (meaning months not years) but if they can't catch the ball nothing else will matter.
Yep.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #28: June 15, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »
No but I'd like to not write the season off in June. 

We made it two months deeper than last year. That's an accomplishment, especially considering I expect us to hover in this range the rest of the way.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #29: June 15, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
Yep.
They need to catch the ball. They make too many errors on plays that a high school player would be expected to make. Pitching help is coming and not all that far away (meaning months not years) but if they can't catch the ball nothing else will matter.

After every error, they should get pegged with a Strasburg changeup.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #30: June 15, 2010, 10:02:55 PM »
Not singling you out at all. Tom went crazy at the though of a Brad Meyers call up. Potomac Cannons is Stan Kasten in disguise. The future is next year. Experiment now, win then. Crazy?

No worries.

We're all Nats fans here and we all want the team to win.

And we're all frustrated to some degree - some more than others.

I get it, I really do.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #31: June 15, 2010, 10:03:02 PM »
But you write off every game before the 4th... I kid.

No one's writing the season off, but we don't need to overturn the shake up the whole apple cart in June either.  Make a few tweaks and see what happens when that cavalry gets here, don't overturn all tables.  Next year we should go for broke though.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #32: June 15, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »

Not even close to writing off the season.  Big changes have large, unpredictable results and if they don't work out for the better....what have you learned, not much.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #33: June 15, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
No worries.

We're all Nats fans here and we all want the team to win.

And we're all frustrated to some degree - some more than others.

I get it, I really do.

To tell the truth, when the team is on a losing streak, I do this to entertain myself and hopefully others by keeping occupied with manic Rizzo on crack speculation. Some of the more prolific posters know that and just ignore it. :lol:

I really do like John Lannan. I think he's quiet, works hard, and does really great charity work. But like I said, he's not a good pitcher. Not right now.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #34: June 15, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »
I really do like John Lannan. I think he's quiet, works hard, and does really great charity work. But like I said, he's not a good pitcher. Not right now.
I do too.  I really wish he could be a solid middle of the rotation guy.  Not to use a board meme, but he's a great guy, good personality.  Charity work like you said.  I loved last year when he was good and everyone wrote him off as a fluke.  I really wish he could have continued to proven them wrong.

Either the stats have caught up to him, or there is something wrong with him.  Either injury or in his head.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: June 15, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
Tom went crazy at the though of a Brad Meyers call up.

:panic:  :crazy:   :rant:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #36: June 15, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
:panic:  :crazy:   :rant:

You know, pal, some people are just more fun to bait than others. SHINER BOCK!!!!!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #37: June 15, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »
Not singling you out at all. Tom went crazy at the though of a Brad Meyers call up. Potomac Cannons is Stan Kasten Phil Wood in disguise. The future is next year. Experiment now, win then. Crazy?

fixed.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #38: June 15, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
We made it two months deeper than last year. That's an accomplishment, especially considering I expect us to hover in this range the rest of the way.

Agreed. This overreaction crap is stupid. DFA Morgan? Demote Lannan? Strasburg requesting a trade after 2 starts? Its not like were 12-40 or whatever we were last year. Were actually close to being a .500 team, atleast we still have a chance at that.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #39: June 15, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
I do too.  I really wish he could be a solid middle of the rotation guy.  Not to use a board meme, but he's a great guy, good personality.  Charity work like you said.  I loved last year when he was good and everyone wrote him off as a fluke.  I really wish he could have continued to proven them wrong.

Either the stats have caught up to him, or there is something wrong with him.  Either injury or in his head.

It's not like this guy has the big bucks and has an endowed foundation. He just cares about kids. And that means a lot. And he's not running press releases about it. I really admire that.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #40: June 15, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
  Next year we should go for broke though.

Nope.  Next year we should continue building the team the way it's being done.  Stockpile pitching prospects, don't rush people unless they are phenoms like Strasburg and Storen, and fill in the holes with MLB talent in the FA market. 

If you get the chance to bring in a Jayson Werth for 3 years then you do it.  Don't just make moves for the sake of doing so.

Maybe you let Dunn walk for picks in return and replace him with Morse/Cantu/Wigginton.

You might consider signing a veteran #3 SP depending on how health issues work out with the current staff.

Don't go crazy and handicap the future.

Offline PC

« Reply #41: June 15, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »
But you write off every game before the 4th... I kid.

No one's writing the season off, but we don't need to overturn the shake up the whole apple cart in June either.  Make a few tweaks and see what happens when that cavalry gets here, don't overturn all tables.  Next year we should go for broke though.

Not even close to writing off the season.  Big changes have large, unpredictable results and if they don't work out for the better....what have you learned, not much.

However, if you go for even the next month with Lannan, Atilano and Martin, you have, de facto, written the season off and this is assuming that Livan doesn't go into the tank.  And we know this now, on June 15th.

The bad part is that I don't know if there is an answer to this problem, is like watching a slow motion train wreck...or the episode of Star Trek TNG with the aliens posing as Romulans and there was a slow motion warp core breach.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #42: June 15, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
Nope.  Next year we should continue building the team the way it's being done.  Stockpile pitching prospects, don't rush people unless they are phenoms like Strasburg and Storen, and fill in the holes with MLB talent in the FA market. 

What future? The Nats hopefully won't even have a high pick next year. Give away the second rounder and snag a big fish.  Sign a gaggle of Type B's.

And I'd LOOOOOOOOOOVE to hear about pitching prospects that are stockpiled. Are you talking about the Rangers or something?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #43: June 15, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
Agreed. This overreaction crap is stupid. DFA Morgan? Demote Lannan? Strasburg requesting a trade after 2 starts? Its not like were 12-40 or whatever we were last year. Were actually close to being a .500 team, atleast we still have a chance at that.

It got 2 pages of discussion going starting in the late innings of a crapass loss, didn't it? ;)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #44: June 15, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »

If you get the chance to bring in a Jayson Werth for 3 years then you do it.  Don't just make moves for the sake of doing so.

Maybe you let Dunn walk for picks in return and replace him with Morse/Cantu/Wigginton.

You might consider signing a veteran #3 SP depending on how health issues work out with the current staff.

Don't go crazy and handicap the future.

Agreed. :thumbs:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #45: June 15, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
It got 2 pages of discussion going starting in the late innings of a crapass loss, didn't it? ;)

That it did. If your serious about this, I just threw in my 2 cents. If your not, its a waste of discussion that riles up people (like me) just in the thought that people think we could honestly be going down the wrong road.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #46: June 15, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »

I missed this in a sea of tl;dr, but you can re-sign Dunn with no loss of picks (duh) and you get a player that's as good as all three of those guys combined.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: June 15, 2010, 10:30:12 PM »
That it did. If your serious about this, I just threw in my 2 cents. If your not, its a waste of discussion that riles up people (like me) just in the thought that people think we could honestly be going down the wrong road.

It's not a waste, it blows off steam. I also suggested to do ONE of a list of possible moves, and everyone assumed I meant do all of them.

Fire Riggleman: Was it the Brewers that fired their manager, caught fire, made the playoffs? Remember the Astros WS year? He's not irreplacable.

DFA Nyjer: That's an exaggeration. But optioning him and bring up Maxwell would be a push, except it allows for Roger and Morse to both play.

Trade for a good starter: 3 maybes for 1 sure thing. I'd do this any day of the week.

Demote Lannan: It's a chorus now.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #48: June 15, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
It's not a waste, it blows off steam. I also suggested to do ONE of a list of possible moves, and everyone assumed I meant do all of them.

Fire Riggleman: Was it the Brewers that fired their manager, caught fire, made the playoffs? Remember the Astros WS year? He's not irreplacable.

DFA Nyjer: That's an exaggeration. But optioning him and bring up Maxwell would be a push, except it allows for Roger and Morse to both play.

Trade for a good starter: 3 maybes for 1 sure thing. I'd do this any day of the week.

Demote Lannan: It's a chorus now.

I don't see anything that points to Riggleman being an issue with the team.