Author Topic: Pete Rose's corked bat  (Read 2958 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Pete Rose's corked bat
« Reply #25: June 15, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
What do you think mass applies to? Although a ton of feathers and a ton of lead weigh the same, drop them and the gravitational pull on the feathers is less because of the difference in density.

Newton's law deal with the change of momentum, thus f=ma.

From which frame of reference, the ball's? The ball leaves the pitcher's hand with velocity V, and with air resistance, maintains that speed. The ball strikes the bat, and returns with a new velocity, -v2. Assume the ball travels in a straight line and is hit directly back at the pitcher - then the total change in velocity is (V-V2). It's momentum changes from (mass of the ball is m) mV to mV2.

If the bat comes to a stop (it doesn't) and the ball receives 100% of that momentum (also doesn't), then you can say that (mass of bat is Mb, velocity is -Vb) -MbVb +mV=-mV2

V2=(MbVb-mV)/(m)

To maximize the speed of the ball coming off the bat, you want a heavy bat that is moving fast. Has anyone said anything different?

Offline blue911

« Reply #26: June 15, 2010, 01:30:19 PM »

From which from of reference, the ball's? The ball leaves the pitcher's hand with velocity V, and with air resistance, maintains that speed. The ball strikes the bat, and returns with a new velocity, -v2. Assume the ball travels in a straight line and is hit directly back at the pitcher - then the total change in velocity is (V-V2). It's momentum changes from (mass of the ball is m) mV to mV2.

If the bat comes to a stop (it doesn't) and the ball receives 100% of that momentum (also doesn't), then you can say that (mass of bat is Mb, velocity is -Vb) -MbVb +mV=-mV2

V2=(MbVb-mV)/(m)

To maximize the speed of the ball coming off the bat, you want a heavy bat that is moving fast. Has anyone said anything different?

The whole corked bat being a positive says different.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #27: June 15, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »

:bang:

The average person, and thus the average ball player, has no understanding of physics. The mythbusters did their semi-rigorous TV tests to try to explain this to people. Ballplayers saying the ball travels further is no more reliable than a rising fastball or a ball with "late life", these are all illusions from the batter's perspective.

The example above is unphysical: no friction, no air resistance, it's a 1d problem, the ball itself isn't constant density, ad nauseum. But the concept is there. You can also see that mass of bat and speed of bat have equal influence on the final velocity, so what you are saying is NOT different.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #28: June 15, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »
man everyone be cheatin

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #29: June 15, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »

Unless you mean the argument for corking differs from the physics of reality. Then yeah, ok. But it's not cut and dried.

Quantum mechanics says that the ball has what's known as a deBroglie wavelength, which in short means there's an infinitesimal chance the ball passes right through the bat. Probably with Stevie on the mound.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #30: June 15, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »

From which frame of reference, the ball's? The ball leaves the pitcher's hand with velocity V, and with air resistance, maintains that speed. The ball strikes the bat, and returns with a new velocity, -v2. Assume the ball travels in a straight line and is hit directly back at the pitcher - then the total change in velocity is (V-V2). It's momentum changes from (mass of the ball is m) mV to mV2.

V2=(MbVb-mV)/(m)

the freak are you talking about?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #31: June 15, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
the freak are you talking about?

You are right. It's should read "its" as it is a possesive and not a conjunction.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: June 15, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
You are right. It's should read "its" as it is a possesive and not a conjunction.

thank you.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #33: June 15, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
thank you.

It's really just algebra in the form of a word problem. Draw an x-axis, define a positive and negative direction, and put the ball and the bat on the axis. Label them with the variables for mass and velocity, and make sure that momentum in equals momentum out. I'd draw up the problem in a diagram, but I think no one cares :lol:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #34: June 15, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
:bang:

Now you know how I feel when you say things like, "The Nationals will be better than the Giants."

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #35: June 15, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »
Now you know how I feel when you say things like, "The Nationals will be better than the Giants."

The Nats would be right there with the Giants with a couple more healthy Olsen starts or either no starts from Marquis or healthy ones. On paper, the team were quite similar opening day.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #36: June 16, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
This thread should be renamed "Pete Rose's Math Problem"

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: June 16, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
The Nats would be right there with the Giants with a couple more healthy Olsen starts or either no starts from Marquis or healthy ones. On paper, the team were quite similar opening day.

how do you figure? On opening day, we appeared to have a good offense, and crappy pitching, their 'strassburg' was comming off back to back cy youngs, ours was in AA, our number 2 Marquis, theirs was Cain, our closed had a 5 era, theirs a had a 2.7 era

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #38: June 16, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
how do you figure? On opening day, we appeared to have a good offense, and crappy pitching, their 'strassburg' was comming off back to back cy youngs, ours was in AA, our number 2 Marquis, theirs was Cain, our closed had a 5 era, theirs a had a 2.7 era

Check the record difference. 3-5 wins and this team's record is very different. That's all I mean.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #39: June 16, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »
This thread should be renamed "Pete Rose's Math Problem"

Pete didn't have a math problem.  He always knew the odds and how much to bet.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: June 16, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
Isn't he in massive debt?

Maybe the odds weren't in his favor.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: June 16, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
Isn't he in massive debt?

Maybe the odds weren't in his favor.

OT ... reminds me of a song .. "Up on Cripple Creek".

Good luck had just stung me
To the race track I did go
She bet on one horse to win
And I bet on another to show

Odds were in my favor
I had him five to one
When that nag to win came around the track
Sure enough he had won

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: June 16, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
OT ... reminds me of a song .. "Up on Cripple Creek".

Good luck had just stung me
To the race track I did go
She bet on one horse to win
And I bet on another to show

Odds were in my favor
I had him five to one
When that nag to win came around the track
Sure enough he had won

There seems to be some conflict in the lyrics. 

I also see "Sure enough we had won", which is what I thought were the correct lyrics.

So, just whose horse won, anyway?  Hers?  His?   :?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: June 16, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
There seems to be some conflict in the lyrics.  

I also see "Sure enough we had won", which is what I thought were the correct lyrics.

So, just whose horse won, anyway?  Hers?  His?   :?

Oh, I'm sure that's a possibility.   I googled the lyrics.   I never heard the song straight so I wasn't sure ...   :glug:    I think it was hers because she tore up the ticket just for a laugh and threw it in his face.

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: June 16, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
Oh, I'm sure that's a possibility.   I googled the lyrics.   I never heard the song straight so I wasn't sure ...   :glug:    I think it was hers because she tore up the ticket just for a laugh and threw it in his face.

I'm pretty sure the Turtle is right. When I've gone to the track with the Mrs., the only outcome is "I Lose" or "We win".

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #45: June 16, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »
When you learn enough about math, you learn that you cannot win at gambling, or they wouldn't do it anymore. Oh wait, maybe that's common sense. Anyhoo.

Offline blue911

« Reply #46: June 16, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
When you learn enough about math, you learn that you cannot win at gambling, or they wouldn't do it anymore. Oh wait, maybe that's common sense. Anyhoo.

Yeah but spending money on chicks gets you laid.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: June 16, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
Yeah but spending money on chicks gets you laid.

Another form of gambling, actually.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #48: June 16, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
Another form of gambling, actually.

Life's a gamble.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #49: June 16, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »

What about those people from MIT that figured out a system to win at Blackjack? Surely they would have not eventually lost money, right?