Author Topic: Nationals @ Tigers, Game 1  (Read 12936 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Nationals @ Detroit, Game 1
« Reply #350: June 15, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
Our bullpen is great.  Seriously, why not think about making Clipp a starter?  He's been a starter his whole life. 

It's possible, but he's been a failure as a starter, and a rousing success as a reliever. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #351: June 15, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
How about let's let him work his way up at a reasonable pace, before we put him out there against the Tigers.

Meyers has to be added to the 40 man after this season. Bringing him up after the All-Star break isn't the worst idea being floated.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #352: June 15, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
Our bullpen is great.  Seriously, why not think about making Clipp a starter?  He's been a starter his whole life. 

Right now we've got a ton on the DL, but that is the *last* thing we need. We have a ridiculous amount of AAAA starting pitchers, Zimmermann, Wang, Detwiler, Olsen and Marquis on the DL. Clippard didn't succeed as a starter in the majors with us, and has been phenomenal as a setup pitcher. It would be insane to switch him, losing a perfect 8th inning pitcher and having him lose games as a starter again. Not to mention possibly never getting him back where he is now after shaking his confidence. And like I said, while it might not seem it now we have far too many starters in the pipelines now to do anything but trade some, not add another and lose a key bullpen pitcher.

Offline blue911

« Reply #353: June 15, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
Right now we've got a ton on the DL, but that is the *last* thing we need. We have a ridiculous amount of AAAA starting pitchers, Zimmermann, Wang, Detwiler, Olsen and Marquis on the DL. Clippard didn't succeed as a starter in the majors with us, and has been phenomenal as a setup pitcher. It would be insane to switch him, losing a perfect 8th inning pitcher and having him lose games as a starter again. Not to mention possibly never getting him back where he is now after shaking his confidence. And like I said, while it might not seem it now we have far too many starters in the pipelines now to do anything but trade some, not add another and lose a key bullpen pitcher.

:clap:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #354: June 15, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
Meyers has to be added to the 40 man after this season. Bringing him up after the All-Star break isn't the worst idea being floated.

Is Arnesen on, or did he survive rule 5?

Offline blue911

« Reply #355: June 16, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
Is Arnesen on, or did he survive rule 5?

I think Arnesen passed through last year and is in the same boat again this year. To put Meyers age in perspective, he's a year older than Collin Balester, adding him to the 40 man would still keep him under team control until after 2016 at the least.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #356: June 16, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »

Yup pitching successfully in relief and pitching successfully as a starter are two entirely different things. The stuff that Clippard has just happens to be suited for relief appearances - where you give everything for one inning, use one or two primary pitches, and only face guys once. The idea that a guy does well in relief so can therefore be a starter just isn't correct. He's successful as a reliever and fills and important role there. No reason to think of changing it.

Our pitching depth has been unbelievably thin from the getgo. Injuries just make it worse. I still chuckle when I think about the debate over whether Livo should have been part of the rotation. Even if his numbers weren't as good as he has delivered, it was pretty clear we lacked any level of major league quality pitching depth and he was very much needed. Rizzo seems to have been working on trading for another starter for a while, and that would be a good move. But other than that, they need to continue to try to see what they have in house and wait for some guys to come back from injury. This is not a WS year for this team. So the moves need to be about building the core, making improvements for the long term, and incremental improvements in the short term. Not moves a team makes for a title run.

The nice thing to see is that they realize, despite some of Kasten's BS, that in order to put a legit product on the field (meaning one that can be competitive and target .500 ball), they need to acquire legit pitching from other sources, not rely upon a pure draft and develop strategy.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #357: June 16, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
Y. But other than that, they need to continue to try to see what they have in house and wait for some guys to come back from injury. This is not a WS year for this team. So the moves need to be about building the core, making improvements for the long term, and incremental improvements in the short term. Not moves a team makes for a title run.

The nice thing to see is that they realize, despite some of Kasten's BS, that in order to put a legit product on the field (meaning one that can be competitive and target .500 ball), they need to acquire legit pitching from other sources, not rely upon a pure draft and develop strategy.

Great post. The reason I was pushing for new guys to come up is that they are UNLIKELY to succeed right away. Are they organizational arms or prospects? Arnesen surving 2 rule 5 drafts means they don't value him that highly. Fine, then give him a shot, and then DFA him if you don't like him. Or work the options. that's what they are for. Again, if we are worried about extra options on Milone and Arnesen in 4 years, isn't that a bad sign? Trading for a rental player is a bad idea for a WS contender, so for this team it would be nuts.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #358: June 16, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
I've come to the realization that losses don't hurt nearly as much when your only knowledge of the game comes from a box score.

Much less stress involved when you only get to see the final score.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #359: June 16, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »
I've come to the realization that losses don't hurt nearly as much when your only knowledge of the game comes from a box score.

This. It's refreshing.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #361: June 16, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »

Perhaps that's why I'm so apathetic about it.  I can afford to see "The Plan" in action because I don't really have the resources available to me follow them nearly as closely as I'd like to.