Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 19888 times)

Offline eckseid

Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #725: April 17, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »
Just did a speedtest on my iPad to see how Verizon's 4G network is and I'm really impressed with the results.

39.57 Down / 13.99 Up.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• In the market for lavish mansions 'n NBA expansion
« Reply #726: April 17, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Just did a speedtest on my iPad to see how Verizon's 4G network is and I'm really impressed with the results.

39.57 Down / 13.99 Up.

Wow.  Where did you get that at (location-wise)?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #727: April 17, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

39.57 Down / 13.99 Up.

So less than 10 minutes at full bore to blow through your data for the month

Offline MarquisDeSade

• In the market for lavish mansions 'n NBA expansion
« Reply #728: April 17, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »

Hey, it's only $10/GB when you go over.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #729: April 17, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
Wow.  Where did you get that at (location-wise)?

I'm in Richmond and picked the DC server.

I picked 2 gigs of data an I haven't even touched 500mb used and I only have a few days left.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #730: April 24, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
Apple just posted blow-out earnings numbers again, 94% earnings jump over a year ago.

Offline PC

« Reply #731: April 28, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
Windows phone prettier than iPhone, says Apple founder

Gasps were heard 'round the tech world this week when Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak went on the record saying he thought the new Lumia 900 Windows Phone was more beautiful than iPhone or Android operating systems. The Woz dropped the news during a podcast interview with The Report and called the new Nokia product "intuitive and beautiful." But don't trade in your iPhone or Android just yet just to be like Wozniak -- even though he's in love with the Lumia 900's aesthetics, he went on to say that the iPhone 4S is still his primary phone, adding that he thinks Windows phones still need to work on improving app selection and utilities.

http://now.msn.com/money/0428-lumia-900-windows-phone-gets-wozniak-bump.aspx

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #732: April 28, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »
I'm assuming he means the operating system and not the device itself.  Windows Phone is quite an elegant OS, but his criticisms of it are also fair.  The update process for WP still needs improvement as well.  It's probably not fair to compare with iOS given the disparity in available devices and relative operator influence, but still.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #733: April 28, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
iOS is kind of clunky.  They've made it a little better by adding folders and things, but still, pages of icons isn't all that great to use now that there are so many apps.  Before there was an app store it worked ok, but they really need a major redesign.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #734: April 28, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
iOS is kind of clunky.  They've made it a little better by adding folders and things, but still, pages of icons isn't all that great to use now that there are so many apps.  Before there was an app store it worked ok, but they really need a major redesign.

How many apps do you have? I have two pages of two rows with the bloat ware in a folder on the second page

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #735: April 28, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

How many apps do you have? I have two pages of two rows with the bloat ware in a folder on the second page

Not including the stock apps like Weather, Stocks, Safari, etc, 53.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #736: April 28, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
That you actually use?

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #737: April 28, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
That you actually use?

Most of them pretty regularly.  Many video apps, chat/social apps, converter utilities, etc.  The "Where's My Refund" app will be deleted as soon as it gets deposited, and maybe 3-4 games I haven't played in a while.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #738: April 28, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I think I have 7 that I use regularly (not including the included apps)- I could see how ios could get clunky with that many

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #739: April 28, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I think I have 7 that I use regularly (not including the included apps)- I could see how ios could get clunky with that many

Some that I use frequently:

MLB At Bat
WoW Mobile Armory
Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
Alien Blue (Reddit app)
Convertbot
Netflix
Hulu
[adult swim] video
StreetVids
Beejive GT (Google talk IM client)
Xfinity TV
The Weather Channel
GMail
Light
Pandora
Facebook
ESPN Fantasy Baseball
Roku app

Then I have 2 folders of games, some health apps, etc.

Offline PC

« Reply #740: April 29, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »
Apple Is '10 Years Behind Microsoft'

Microsoft Security Ahead Of Apple, Says Security Firm Chief

Look out, Apple. Eugene Kaspersky is calling you out.

The founder and CEO of Kaspersky Labs spoke with Computer Business Review (CBR) about Apple's slow progress in security at this week's Infosecurity 2012 event in London.

"I think they are ten years behind Microsoft in terms of security," Kaspersky told CBR. "For many years I've been saying that from a security point of view there is no big difference between Mac and Windows. It's always been possible to develop Mac malware, but this one was a bit different. For example it was asking questions about being installed on the system and, using vulnerabilities, it was able to get to the user mode without any alarms."

The malware about which Kaspersky speaks, the Flashback trojan, struck more than 600,000 Mac devices early this month and prompted Apple to release three separate Java updates to patch vulnerabilities in the software and prevent more security problems.

Unfortunately, Apple's security updates may have come too little, too late. While just last week, Kaspersky Labs researchers had pegged the number of machines still plagued with the Flashback trojan at just 30,000, a recent report by Russian IT-security vendor Dr. Web shows the number of infected devices may be as high as 550,000, reports The Next Web. (Dr. Web researchers first discovered how widely the Flashback trojan had spread.)

While Apple has been slow to respond to new security concerns, CNET reports that Apple is making moves to boost the security on its devices. For example, XProtect, a built-in malware scanner, came with the last two major versions of Mac OS X. And security technology called Gatekeeper will be built into OS X Moutain Lion and will let the user to install only software designed by registered developers.

But with malware like the Flashback and Sabpab trojans still making their rounds, and wth recent studies showing just how vulnerable Apple devices are, Mac users might do well to heed Kaspersky's words of warning. As he told CBR, more Macs (last quarter saw 4 million sold, a 7% increase from last year) will only mean more problems.

"Cyber criminals have now recognized that Mac is an interesting area," Kaspersky said. "Now we have more, it's not just Flashback or Flashfake. Welcome to Microsoft's world, Mac. It's full of malware."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/microsoft-security-apple_n_1456073.html?ref=technology

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #741: April 29, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »
Dude, just stick to the Microsoft thread, Leo. You're like GMU in the weight loss thread.

I mean I can't even take an article about Kaspersky seriously because it's your trolling ass posting it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #742: April 29, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
The Apple guys all post in the MS thread when they have something they want to thumb their nose about, so really I don't see a problem with this.

Mr. "ESPN actually does pay attention to the Nats" in the "Screw ESPN" thread ;)

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #743: April 29, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
I did this after some green skin renamed it the ESPN Coverage Thread, which totally fit what I posted. Which is it Leo???

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #744: April 29, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
The booth covering the Rays/Rangers game have been talking about Harper for a couple minutes now.  Also mentioned the Nats/Phils game in DC that ESPN is airing next Sunday night.

:asplode:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #745: April 29, 2012, 10:33:32 PM »
lol @ that smiley being called "asplode". Nice.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #746: April 29, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »
lol @ that smiley being called "asplode". Nice.

hover over it with your mouse and check out the tooltip ;)

Offline PC

« Reply #747: April 30, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »
This is a keeper.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #748: April 30, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
I've read the article about Woz having a Windows Phone, but that picture has got to be a shop.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #749: April 30, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »
Not even a good one :lol: