Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 18345 times)

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #625: February 16, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
I wish I was still running Snow Leopard, Lion has given me some issues.

i still haven't been able to get to Lion, we have an app that won't run on it because it requires an old version of Java. 

hey, on another note - the letters on two of the keys on my year old MacBook Air have pretty much worn away.  It's under applecare, think they'll replace the keyboard?

Offline PC

« Reply #626: March 07, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
iYawn. 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #627: March 07, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
Uhh... Wow? Obviously I've become hardcore pro Android per the Android thread. But despite all the hype over Retina, its a freaking 9 inch screen. The 1200x800 pf my Transformer comes close enough to the limits of the human eye. But the one thing I thought the new iPad would have I could not argue with that Android did not was Siri. No Siri on the iPad3? Wtf? I can't even imagine a reason why... the iPhone has a inferior processor, inferior everything. Why not include the one standout feature that puts Apple above Google?

Google needs to jump on that and release a Siri clone ASAP. Definitely a foolish move on Apple's part, and I guarantee next Friday the masses will be wondering where the freak that neat voice thing they've seen on TV for Mr. Rock God is.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Bring on the ribs.
« Reply #628: March 07, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
Siri needs to die a painful death along with all of the terrible commercials.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #629: March 07, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »
The funniest part is all the clowns on CL trying to hock their ipad2s for 400 when that's the price for a new one now.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #630: March 07, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Siri needs to die a painful death along with all of the terrible commercials.

Eh, the idea of it, basically voice control, nearly total, over a tablet? Awesome. But as with so many Apple things, awesome with a hint of doucheyness. For example, whoever thought that Rock God commercial wasn't the most asinine, douchbaggy thing ever? A moron. And the reason Apple is swimming in money as in Uncle Scrooge, I guess that works with their target audience.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #631: March 07, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
The funniest part is all the clowns on CL trying to hock their ipad2s for 400 when that's the price for a new one now.

The even funnier part is I guarantee some idiots buy them for $400 and go running around showing off their iPads. That's the funniest part of all, and you know some morons are buying them for that, even today.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #632: March 07, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
The even funnier part is I guarantee some idiots buy them for $400 and go running around showing off their iPads. That's the funniest part of all, and you know some morons are buying them for that, even today.

our iPad 1 is still perfectly adequate (though heavy).

Offline Coladar

« Reply #633: March 07, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
our iPad 1 is still perfectly adequate (though heavy).

Really, aside from the camera and the display, iPad1-3 isn't a big upgrade. And you'd be getting a quad core processor, but assume  most apps are written to work fine with the first... Its a waste of money upgrading iPads. Going from iPad to Android, or vice versa, the cost makes sense. $700 to get a camera and a way, way, way overdone display? Not so much.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #634: March 07, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
I must admit I'm tempted by a $399 IP2, but probably not enough to go out and impulse buy it.

Offline PC

« Reply #635: March 07, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
I'm looking at a refurbished Dell for $249 on Newegg.   The surreal part is, the purpose for which I want this Dell, an iPad would be perfect.

...and I STILL won't do it!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #636: March 07, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
I must admit I'm tempted by a $399 IP2, but probably not enough to go out and impulse buy it.

Do you have any tablet right now? If not, I don't think you'd regret buying one... I do all my WNFF reading and posting from my tablet now, for example. My PC has become almost dead weight. That said, I'd once again make my argument to take a look at Android over iOS. If you don't own a tablet now, maybe even go cheapy cheap and get a Fire, see how you like it, and assume if you use it as much as you are almost certain to, upgrade later and have a nice eReader as a bonus. I can see arguments for and against the iPad3 over Android tablets... but an iPad2, unless you're a hardcore Apply guy with a ton of Apple devices, you get more bang for your buck with an Android tablet plus a far freer OS. The $400 just isn't low enough for Apple to compete with quad core, near HD screens with 6-8mp cameras that you can get via Android for $300-500, IMO, biased though it may be. That said, I couldn't even talk my parents into an Android over wasting money for an iPad3 from an iPad1, so unfortunately Google has an uphill battle even with a mildly superior, in most ways, product.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #637: March 07, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »
I don't currently have a tablet but between my desktop, my android phone, and my work-issued macbook, I really don't need another thing to surf the web on, esp if it's gonna cost me anything.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #638: March 07, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
I don't currently have a tablet but between my desktop, my android phone, and my work-issued macbook, I really don't need another thing to surf the web on, esp if it's gonna cost me anything.

Eh, between the laptop and phone, probably not a huge upgrade. But I bet you'd be shocked how you use it primarily to surf the web if you bought one. If you are any kind of reader, like I said, maybe try the Fire and see what you think. Instantly flipping to your tablet to look something up, not having to wait for a laptop to boot... You'd be shocked how much you'll use it if/when you get one, I'd be willing to bet.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #639: March 07, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Best tablet on the market gets upgrade in processor, display, wireless speed.

Already ordered, this will be my first tablet.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #640: March 07, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »

we use the ipad as our "family room" computer, playing games, controlling the DVR, scanning news, and watching some video.  I still don't like typing on it very much though and prefer to use my MacBook Air for most tasks.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #641: March 07, 2012, 11:25:37 PM »
Eh, between the laptop and phone, probably not a huge upgrade. But I bet you'd be shocked how you use it primarily to surf the web if you bought one. If you are any kind of reader, like I said, maybe try the Fire and see what you think. Instantly flipping to your tablet to look something up, not having to wait for a laptop to boot... You'd be shocked how much you'll use it if/when you get one, I'd be willing to bet.

Who the hell regularly boots anything anymore?

Really, aside from the camera and the display, iPad1-3 isn't a big upgrade. And you'd be getting a quad core processor, but assume  most apps are written to work fine with the first... Its a waste of money upgrading iPads. Going from iPad to Android, or vice versa, the cost makes sense. $700 to get a camera and a way, way, way overdone display? Not so much.

So your android tablet was superior to the iPad because of the specs like quad core processor, but now the iPad getting a quad core processor is no big upgrade?  :crazy:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #642: March 08, 2012, 02:03:32 AM »

So your android tablet was superior to the iPad because of the specs like quad core processor, but now the iPad getting a quad core processor is no big upgrade?  :crazy:

Err... To someone with an iPad1 and at a cost of $600ish? No, its definitely not a huge upgrade when most Apple apps are written for prior models. Not to upgrade an iPad to an iPad3, that's laughable to say the difference noticed in either resolution or processor is worth the money.

And the Transformer Prime is still vastly technologically superior to the iPad2, inferior to the 3. But for basically the cost of an iPad2 now, and the obvious advantages of Android over iOS, least of which is root file access. Plus, ASUS has a new Transformer due out in a couple of months, which should again beat the iPad3 hardware wise, for far less $$$. Bottom line, monetarily and free to do whatever you damn well want with the Tablet, android remains top dog. Siri was the only unique advantage Apple had, and they laughably didn't include it with the new iPad?! Things like that are why the iPad will continue to be inferior to tech users who don't want to go through iTunes, who don't want to buy Apple products, more of them, just to print out a website.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #643: March 08, 2012, 07:58:53 AM »
Siri is a gimmick, so I don't fault them for that, my question would be whether they upgraded the speakers because they blew for the originals

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Bring on the ribs.
« Reply #644: March 08, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »

I'm on day 102 without a restart or shut down on my MacBook Pro.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #645: March 08, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »

Wonder how Apple fans who were trashing 4G LTE when the iPhone 4s didn't have it are feeling today.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #646: March 08, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
Anyone hoping for cheaper e-books should be happy- doj is going after apple and publishers

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203961204577267831767489216.html

Offline The Chief

« Reply #647: March 08, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
:lmao:

The Gentlemen's Rant: iPad

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Bring on the ribs.
« Reply #648: March 16, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
So, we're trying to install Windows XP on Bootcamp on my wife's MBP and it doesn't seem to like the ISO we're trying to feed it.  Anyone have any recommendations for ways to use an ISO to create a boot disc (either a DVD or thumbdrive) so we can install it in Bootcamp without going the Xcode-X11-complier-pray to the Woz® route?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #649: March 16, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
iPad arrives today.

Chief, an Apple fanboy post with an embedded gif. Come at me bro.

TBH I'm not that excited, I just love the GIF.