Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 24533 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #400: September 28, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »
That's been known for weeks. I wonder when the actual phone comes out.

Good For You, it was only *officially* announced today.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #401: September 28, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
Good For You, it was only *officially* announced today.

Yeah, I wasn't going to believe a thing until Apple announced it. It's about damn time to. Hopefully it's not an upgrade like the 3GS was.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Bring on the ribs.
« Reply #402: September 28, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't going to believe a thing until Apple announced it. It's about damn time to. Hopefully it's not an upgrade like the 3GS was.

It probably will be.  I saw some of the changes they made to the iOS but I don't really care,  I just bought the iPhone 4 when my contract expired last week. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #403: September 28, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »
It probably will be.  I saw some of the changes they made to the iOS but I don't really care,  I just bought the iPhone 4 when my contract expired last week. 

I've been on a prepay for a month now since my iphone 3g  crapped out- I look forward to buying an Iphone 4 (my wife has one and it's fine for surfing- I don't really need a hardware update beyond that) when they drop the prices following the iphone 5 announcement

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Bring on the ribs.
« Reply #404: September 28, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Yeah, we decided to pull the trigger and just get the iPhone 4s once our contracts with T-Mobile ended.  We probably got boned out of $200 but who cares - the iPhone rules.  I hope RIM/BlackBerry goes down the crapter.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #405: September 28, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »
Yeah, we decided to pull the trigger and just get the iPhone 4s once our contracts with T-Mobile ended.  We probably got boned out of $200 but who cares - the iPhone rules.  I hope RIM/BlackBerry goes down the crapter.

kindle fire should kill playbook, their phones suck unless you need the enterprise email and encryption- maybe they turn back into a niche player

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #406: September 28, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
I've still got 8 months on my AT&T contract, though they used to let you upgrade after 18 months, which would be december.  Maybe it will launch around then, but then they miss the holiday buying season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #408: September 28, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I've still got 8 months on my AT&T contract, though they used to let you upgrade after 18 months, which would be december.  Maybe it will launch around then, but then they miss the holiday buying season.

try calling and asking- I got my upgrade date bumped up by ~6 months for the 3g when it came out I've been with them for over a decade including cingular, so that may have been the reason, but it doesn't hurt to try

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #409: September 28, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
:whistle:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/09/mac-trojan-poses-as-pdf-to-open-botnet-backdoor.ars

http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/index/~3/VOGo5l-dVYA/mac-trojan-pretends-to-be-flash-player-installer-to-get-in-the-door.ars

:mg: :stir:

So, you download a "PDF," get a message from the system like this:

Still, decide to open what is supposed to be a PDF that has been called an application by the OS, type your admin password when it decides to add it to startup stuffs, and you get infected.  Not much you can do about that.

Where is the self replicating, auto installing malware?

I mean, you get a warning that it's an application, and you still run it?  There's not much you can do.  MS can't help that either. 

There, that satisfy your need to :stir::mg:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #410: September 28, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
try calling and asking- I got my upgrade date bumped up by ~6 months for the 3g when it came out I've been with them for over a decade including cingular, so that may have been the reason, but it doesn't hurt to try

They automatically let everyone upgrade 6 months early from 3GS to 4.  Honestly, it will take a lot for me to get a 5 instead of waiting until my contract to ends and switch to verizon or sprint.  My AT&T service has been abysmal for the past few months.  Used to be great, full bars at most places.  Now it's 1 bar 85% of the time.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #411: September 28, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
So, you download a "PDF," get a message from the system like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Still, decide to open what is supposed to be a PDF that has been called an application by the OS, type your admin password when it decides to add it to startup stuffs, and you get infected.  Not much you can do about that.

Where is the self replicating, auto installing malware?

I mean, you get a warning that it's an application, and you still run it?  There's not much you can do.  MS can't help that either. 

There, that satisfy your need to :stir::mg:

Thanks for walking right into my trap.  A properly configured Windows box (even XP) doesn't suffer form any of those things either.  Macs are every bit as vulnerable to trojans and user stupidity as Windows - if not more so.  The point is that there is Mac malware in the wild and has been for some time.

Also, don't make me link you to ever Pwn2own hacking contest for the last 6 years in which Mac always goes down first.

Game, set, match :mg: :poke:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #412: September 28, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »
I said that there isn't much you can do about those types of things on either side.  A "properly" configured windows box?  What do you have to do?  turn off UAC like some people :P  Why can't I "properly" configure my Mac in that case?

Pwn2own?  Ok.  Didn't they still have to turn off the firewall or something like that?  Also, chrome has been the sturdiest, mr "I LUV FIREFOX". :razz:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #413: September 28, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
I said that there isn't much you can do about those types of things on either side.  A "properly" configured windows box?  What do you have to do?  turn off UAC like some people :P  Why can't I "properly" configure my Mac in that case?

Properly configured would be the default configuration.  UAC is on by default, and prompts for elevation very similarly to the way Mac and *nix systems do.  You also get an additional warning/prompt for certain file types (again, similar to what you showed above) - you even get these in a default install of XP SP3.  XP's downfall is that the default user is an admin (which I note the Mac OS also does) and more importantly there's no rights elevation mechanism - unlike Vista, 7, and Mac OS.  But as XP is 10 years old last month, it really has no place in a comparative discussion of modern operating systems.

Pwn2own?  Ok.  Didn't they still have to turn off the firewall or something like that?

I'm sure their methodology is publicly available.

Pwn2Own is a computer hacking contest held at the annual CanSecWest security conference, beginning in 2007.[1] Contestants are challenged to exploit specific software (especially web browsers and other web related software) / computing platform targets with previously unknown vulnerabilities (with so called zero-day attacks).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own

There is a brief list of recent years results there as well.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #414: September 28, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
As for your personal aspersions, I use Firefox because I prefer it, and I disable UAC on my personal machines because I don't need it.  No machine I've owned has ever been infected with a virus or malware.  If it ever happens and is a direct result of my choices, I'll only have myself to blame.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #415: September 28, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Ok, so I still don't get why you "win."  I merely stated that you can't fix user error.  You took it as a bash against MS.  I reiterated that social engineering works on ANY system.  I think you just like to argue and know that I own a Mac.  This is our LAC vs LANC :lol:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #416: September 28, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
That was to the earlier post btw.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #417: September 28, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »
Ok, so I still don't get why you "win."  I merely stated that you can't fix user error.  You took it as a bash against MS.  I reiterated that social engineering works on ANY system.  I think you just like to argue and know that I own a Mac.  This is our LAC vs LANC :lol:

Nobody said I "won" anything.  I completely agree that most infections are a result of user error/inattention.

I admitted up front that I was just stirring the pot.  If you had denied that malware exists on Macs, I'd have "won".  As it is, I'm just ruffling your feathers :mg:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #418: September 28, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
Nobody said I "won" anything.  I completely agree that most infections are a result of user error/inattention.

I admitted up front that I was just stirring the pot.  If you had denied that malware exists on Macs, I'd have "won".  As it is, I'm just ruffling your feathers :mg:

Game, set, match :mg: :poke:

my mistake :mg:

Also, malware has existed since like 2008.  I remember there was an image thing just like the new PDF variety.  PC fanbois made that out to be the Mac apocalypse then too :mg:

:mg: :mg:

:mg:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #419: September 28, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
PC fanbois made that out to be the Mac apocalypse then too

I would expect you of all people not to be so susceptible to this:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #420: September 28, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
So you're saying I won and now you're trying to brush it off as you trolling?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #421: September 28, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
If anybody won, it was me because I went fishing and caught something ;)

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #422: September 28, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #423: September 28, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
So, would it be worth it to get an Iphone 4 when the 5's come out?  I've been thinking about making the switch to fancy phone land and am pretty close to pulling the trigger.  Assuming they slash prices on the 4's, will the upgrades be worth the extra $300 or so it would cost me to go with the shiny new toy?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #424: September 28, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »
So, would it be worth it to get an Iphone 4 when the 5's come out?  I've been thinking about making the switch to fancy phone land and am pretty close to pulling the trigger.  Assuming they slash prices on the 4's, will the upgrades be worth the extra $300 or so it would cost me to go with the shiny new toy?

If you're due for a renewal there definitely shouldn't be $300 difference in price (should there?  Nathan?)