Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 22024 times)

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #200: March 17, 2011, 08:58:12 AM »
I bought an iPad for my wife -- purchased online 8 hours or so after they went on sale. It says it won't ship until April 1.

I can wait, but I don't think it's good business to be so woefully unprepared to ship something at release.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #201: March 17, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
Uhhh, wtf? Per FedEx, they are shipping it from Shenzen China, and it made a detour in Hong Kong this morning. Apple didn't have their Apple.com supplies in this country, they are shipping them from the manufacturer in China? Wtf? I'm not complaining, it's on it's way, but holy carp are they unprepared for this if they are shipping FedEx from China to homes. The cost alone is insane, as is the logic in not having a single one in a US warehouse. Sounds like they shipped *everything* including their online sales set aside cache for stores to meet demand, and are now filling the online orders basically... No, not basically, they *are* shipping the new iPads bought online directly off the manufacturing line in China. Mayhap they should have waited an extra week or to to have ample supplies. But I guess for Apple, having a hot product you can't get your hands on increases it's allure and exclusivity, resulting in ever more popularity and units sold.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #202: March 17, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
But damn am I excited. I got the engraving on the back to say "The National's Scorekeeper" since I keep score of all games I attend using it. I refer to the iPad as the Scorekeeper, not trying to make it sound like I'm the official scorekeeper or anything like that. Was limited how much you could fit on one line or I would have expanded it to make it slightly more clear.

Damn, that sucks.  You should get a discount for them having placed the apostrophe in the wrong place.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• PK Subban will eat your soul.
« Reply #203: March 17, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
Uhhh, wtf? Per FedEx, they are shipping it from Shenzen China, and it made a detour in Hong Kong this morning. Apple didn't have their Apple.com supplies in this country, they are shipping them from the manufacturer in China? Wtf? I'm not complaining, it's on it's way, but holy carp are they unprepared for this if they are shipping FedEx from China to homes. The cost alone is insane, as is the logic in not having a single one in a US warehouse. Sounds like they shipped *everything* including their online sales set aside cache for stores to meet demand, and are now filling the online orders basically... No, not basically, they *are* shipping the new iPads bought online directly off the manufacturing line in China. Mayhap they should have waited an extra week or to to have ample supplies. But I guess for Apple, having a hot product you can't get your hands on increases it's allure and exclusivity, resulting in ever more popularity and units sold.

Dude calm down.  Pretty much every "buy it first day" Apple product I've bought (and I've bought a ton over the years) has shipped from the manufacturing dock if I decided not to be surrounded by the unwashed masses of Apple fan boys.  You do realize they're probably send 10,000 plus units at a time and that your iPad is in that shipment, right? 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #204: March 17, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
My iPad2 isn't supposed to be shipped until April 1st either :?

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #205: March 17, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
I bought an iPad for my wife -- purchased online 8 hours or so after they went on sale. It says it won't ship until April 1.

I can wait, but I don't think it's good business to be so woefully unprepared to ship something at release.

fwiw, we had ours in about 4 days after placing the order from the Apple site (with engraving).  And yes, it came from China.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #206: March 17, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
Every Apple product I've purchased online got shipped directly from Shenzen (sp) China.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #207: March 17, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
Every Apple product I've purchased online got shipped directly from Shenzen (sp) China.

Well that's definitely bizarre. I figured it was associated with the delays for the iPad2 for online buyers.

That doesn't make an iota of sense though. They already have to have them shipped in bulk to the US for their stores, so it doesn't allow them to get out a new release any sooner. I have to believe shipping via FedEx from China to each persons door, meaning one shipment per item, would be maddeningly expensive, never mind take a whole lot longer to receive. But for Apple, it has to be crazy costly to do so.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #208: March 17, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
I was looking at bulk shipping options from Brazil to the United States lately and cargo shipping has increased in price dramatically. Containers are now insanely expensive. Based on the some of the prices I saw, I think it would likely be cheaper and faster to ship small items from Brazil to the U.S. directly via FedEx than it would be to ship via container and pick up at port of arrival, store, sort, and ship again. FedEx and UPS has the shipping business outsourced to a degree I would not have thought possible ten years ago and the world seems to have ever growing fuel prices and more and more burdensome security.

I suspect these pricing changes are not limited to Brazil and U.S.A.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209: March 18, 2011, 12:01:19 AM »
Well that's definitely bizarre. I figured it was associated with the delays for the iPad2 for online buyers.

That doesn't make an iota of sense though. They already have to have them shipped in bulk to the US for their stores, so it doesn't allow them to get out a new release any sooner. I have to believe shipping via FedEx from China to each persons door, meaning one shipment per item, would be maddeningly expensive, never mind take a whole lot longer to receive. But for Apple, it has to be crazy costly to do so.
I think a lot of it is stuff ordered online is often built to order as far as the computers go, and stuff like iPods and the like have the engraving options, which is probably easier to do right at the factory.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #210: March 18, 2011, 01:44:58 AM »
I think a lot of it is stuff ordered online is often built to order as far as the computers go, and stuff like iPods and the like have the engraving options, which is probably easier to do right at the factory.

Ahh, that's one point I totally forgot about. You are correct, with the engraving options, shipping from the factory is a much more logical way to do it. Otherwise, you're talking about shipping everything outside the box and boxing it in the US, or else opening the box and engraving it, resulting in an "opened" device. I'm guessing if not for the engraving options, they might not ship from China, but factoring that in it does make some sense.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #211: March 18, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
I have to believe shipping via FedEx from China to each persons door, meaning one shipment per item, would be maddeningly expensive, never mind take a whole lot longer to receive.

As they're rolling off the production line the RFIDs are being added to each unit and they're shipped in bulk (10,000 each) to the US shipping hub.  They're not being shipped one at a time from China to the US. 

Considering the cost of the iPad is probably around $300, the shipping is probably costing them $15, and they're charging you $800 they're not losing any money on this at all.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #212: March 18, 2011, 06:59:05 AM »
I was looking at bulk shipping options from Brazil to the United States lately and cargo shipping has increased in price dramatically. Containers are now insanely expensive. Based on the some of the prices I saw, I think it would likely be cheaper and faster to ship small items from Brazil to the U.S. directly via FedEx than it would be to ship via container and pick up at port of arrival, store, sort, and ship again. FedEx and UPS has the shipping business outsourced to a degree I would not have thought possible ten years ago and the world seems to have ever growing fuel prices and more and more burdensome security.

I suspect these pricing changes are not limited to Brazil and U.S.A.

I found a whole message board when I was mad at FedEx of disgruntled Express workers complaining about non-unionized Ground workers, or something like that :shock: It reminds me why I use overnight USPS whenever possible.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #213: March 18, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »

I found a whole message board when I was mad at FedEx of disgruntled Express workers complaining about non-unionized Ground workers, or something like that :shock: It reminds me why I use overnight USPS whenever possible.

SCABS!!!!!!!!!

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #214: March 22, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »
Mac OS 10.6.7 update came out this morning. 

Details:
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Apple-releases-Mac-OS-X-10-6-7-update-1212226.html

I'm hoping this fixes the problem of frequent flash apps causing a cascading set of application failures that requires a PRAM/NVRAM reset to fix on my 13" MacBook Air, but I'm not hopeful.

Offline PC

« Reply #215: March 24, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
Happy 10th anniversary, OSX!

...and you're still < XP, Vista (yes, Vista!) and 7

http://www.cultofmac.com/how-mac-os-x-came-to-be-exclusive-10th-anniversary-story/87889

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216: March 24, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
:smh:  :lol:

Offline PC

« Reply #217: March 24, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
:smh:  :lol:

Well, I did remember!

...actually, I stumbled across it while searching for something else.  :mg:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218: March 24, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
Well, good for you, I actually had no idea :P

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #219: March 24, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
Happy 10th anniversary, OSX!

...and you're still < XP, Vista (yes, Vista!) and 7

http://www.cultofmac.com/how-mac-os-x-came-to-be-exclusive-10th-anniversary-story/87889

As the resident MS shill (pot/kettle), I would expect you to know better than anyone that Vista was actually quite good.  It just had a rough infancy.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #220: March 24, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
As the resident MS shill (pot/kettle), I would expect you to know better than anyone that Vista was actually quite good.  It just had a rough infancy.

I LOVED Vista. It was SO much more stable than XP.

Offline PC

« Reply #221: March 24, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
As the resident MS shill (pot/kettle), I would expect you to know better than anyone that Vista was actually quite good.  It just had a rough infancy.

Oh I LOVE Vista, (which I why I said OSX < XP, Vista  and 7)

Vista 2011, 2010 and probably 2009 were wonderful.  I append a year because Vista needed time, time for the hardware to catch up.  Vista needed faster CPUs, more/faster RAM and faster/better hard drives.

Now, even the most pedestrian computers are, at least, dual core with 4GB of RAM.  Add an SSD to that or even a good platter hard drive and it's more than enough handle Vista easily.  Back in 2007, that wasn't the case.  Add to that the issues with drivers and other issues that were present in the Vista RTM.  Vista also made the 64-bit OS common place as opposed to 64-bit XP.   And Snow Leopard was the first 64-bit OSX and that was released in 2009.

And yes, Vista is INCREDIBLY stable.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #222: March 24, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
I thought it was fine in 2008 as well.  I never used Vista much on a single core proc but I never had any issues running it on 2GB RAM.

I'd have to disagree about Vista x64.  It was a strong first step because of MS's policies toward equal development for 32 and 64 bit, but I don't think Vista ever really got the kind of 64-bit market penetration that 7 is having.  Almost everything but econoboxes come with 4GB now, so 64 bit has finally become "necessary"

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223: March 24, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
Oh I LOVE Vista, (which I why I said OSX < XP, Vista  and 7)

Vista 2011, 2010 and probably 2009 were wonderful.  I append a year because Vista needed time, time for the hardware to catch up.  Vista needed faster CPUs, more/faster RAM and faster/better hard drives.

Now, even the most pedestrian computers are, at least, dual core with 4GB of RAM.  Add an SSD to that or even a good platter hard drive and it's more than enough handle Vista easily.  Back in 2007, that wasn't the case.  Add to that the issues with drivers and other issues that were present in the Vista RTM.  Vista also made the 64-bit OS common place as opposed to 64-bit XP.   And Snow Leopard was the first 64-bit OSX and that was released in 2009.

And yes, Vista is INCREDIBLY stable.
Snow Leopard still boots with a 32 bit kernel by default

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #224: March 24, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
Serious question - am the only person that doesn't see Windows 7 hitting his office machine in the next five years?