Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 18165 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #125: January 11, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
I've only used Firewire I think once ever.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #126: January 11, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
I've only used Firewire I think once ever.

The Tiger OS, if I remember correctly, could only boot from externals using Firewire.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #127: January 11, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »
i've used it to set up new Macs by copying everything over from an old mac (target disk mode).  It looks like you can now do that via wifi or Ethernet as well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #128: January 11, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
It does?  My wife got a new MBP in July and it didn't have a full FW port.

which one?  The tech specs for the 13" MBP say it has a FW800 port - http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #129: January 11, 2011, 11:38:19 AM »
That's right, it just doesn't have the bigger alpha connector port anymore.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #130: January 11, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
iPhone launches for Verizon.  3G only.

Offline PC

« Reply #131: January 11, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
Yawn.  Snore.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #132: January 11, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
I love how there was so much fervor over "when is the iPhone coming to Verizon?" and "I'd buy an iPhone if only it were on Verizon." and "iPhone would sell much better if it was on Verizon."

Now, it's on Verizon.  Reactions?  "meh, it's just an iPhone on Verizon."

:lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

• You're sicke Jesse, sick sick sick
« Reply #133: January 11, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
I love how there was so much fervor over "when is the iPhone coming to Verizon?" and "I'd buy an iPhone if only it were on Verizon." and "iPhone would sell much better if it was on Verizon."

Now, it's on Verizon.  Reactions?  "meh, it's just an iPhone on Verizon."

:lol:

It's been out long enough that if you really wanted one, you'd be an att customer already

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134: January 11, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
TBH, in the beginning I myself wished that it was on Verizon instead of AT&T, but now, given the choice with everything else being equal, I'd take an AT&T one over a Verizon one.  I get as good of service as anyone I know with Verizon around here, and using some speedtest.net apps to compare the 3G speed, AT&T blows Verizon out of the water.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #135: January 11, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
I'm just hoping enough people switch to make AT&Ts claims about the fastest network come true

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #136: January 11, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
TBH, in the beginning I myself wished that it was on Verizon instead of AT&T, but now, given the choice with everything else being equal, I'd take an AT&T one over a Verizon one.  I get as good of service as anyone I know with Verizon around here, and using some speedtest.net apps to compare the 3G speed, AT&T blows Verizon out of the water.

Verizon is fast enough, and honestly if you're getting "as good" service with AT&T then you're one of the lucky ones.  Almost without exception all of my AT&T friends say it sucks and they hate it.  Then again, it could just be the characteristic Apple note:

:stir:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: January 11, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »
I've had experience ATT, Sprint and Verizon in this area. Sprint just sucked, Verizon beat ATT most places, but not by enough to really make me not want my iphone

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138: January 11, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »
I have full service almost everywhere I go.  And Verizon's 3G speed of 800 kbps max, at least here, is laughably referred to a "broadband".  I just now tested my iPhone and pulled 3.6 mbps, and that's what I usually average.  This is using the speedtest.net app on both iPhone and Verizon Android devices.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #139: January 11, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
I'm just happy that it's finally on Verizon so everyone will shutup about it. Got tired of the rumors.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #140: January 11, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
I have full service almost everywhere I go.  And Verizon's 3G speed of 800 kbps max, at least here, is laughably referred to a "broadband".  I just now tested my iPhone and pulled 3.6 mbps, and that's what I usually average.  This is using the speedtest.net app on both iPhone and Verizon Android devices.

speedtest.net in itself is laughable.  It's nice for testing theoretical maximums but trying to actually get that 3.6 from half a dozen different real-world sites would probably be an exercise in futility.  In any case I generally get 600 to 1200kbps with Verizon depending on where I am, and it's more than sufficient.  Page loads are quick and I never have any trouble with consistency of access, which is far more important.  The only time pure speed has ever mattered is for downloads, and if I'm downloading something big enough to care about the difference between 1mbit and 2, I'd prefer WiFi over either.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141: January 11, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
I can also turn on speaker phone, and go into say maps or open up Safari to check something out while still talking 8)

Offline eckseid

« Reply #142: January 11, 2011, 06:15:49 PM »
I can also turn on speaker phone, and go into say maps or open up Safari to check something out while still talking 8)

That's going to be a moot point along with the speed thing with Verizon's 4g LTE. It doesn't matter if both AT&T and Verizon come out with 4g LTE, the speed difference isn't going to matter at that point with what 4g LTE can do.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143: January 11, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
Yeah, except that the iPhone 4 is CDMA or UMTS/HSPA so it doesn't matter if either company has 4G/LTE coverage, the iPhone 4 won't work on it anyway.

That being said, by the time 4G/LTE is widely available, I'll be off contract, so I could go to Verizon if they have more LTE coverage.  It's just that I'm satisfied for the time being with my AT&T service and coverage.

Offline HalfSmokes

Offline eckseid

« Reply #145: January 11, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Yeah, except that the iPhone 4 is CDMA or UMTS/HSPA so it doesn't matter if either company has 4G/LTE coverage, the iPhone 4 won't work on it anyway.

That being said, by the time 4G/LTE is widely available, I'll be off contract, so I could go to Verizon if they have more LTE coverage.  It's just that I'm satisfied for the time being with my AT&T service and coverage.

Oh, I know that they don't have an iPhone that supports 4G/LTE yet, but they will soon (another reason people would be stupid to buy one in Feb). But I'm talking in the future, all of this "speed, data/talk @ same time" stuff will be a moot point. It'll all come down to how the coverage is for all the providers in your area and where you go on a daily basis.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146: January 11, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
Dammit, stop ruining my attempts to :poke: Chief!  :P

Offline The Chief

« Reply #147: January 11, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »

That's nice in theory, but I can count on zero hands how often I've EVER needed to do that.  I don't even make phone calls with my phone, to be quite honest.  Once a day during the week to tell my coworker that I'm picking him up, that's about it.  Besides, I can multitask just fine with speakerphone and offline apps, which is enough to take notes.  If you're going to be dicking around online during a phonecall, you're probably just wasting minutes anyway.  It's a feature that you'd rather have than not, but hardly a factor - much less a dealbreaker - for most people.

We can go back and forth about carriers all day, but my experience with Verizon has been great, and I would not risk my satisfaction with another carrier for one device, especially with all the bad things I've heard about AT&T - a sentiment that many share.  Now that the iPhone is no longer exclusive, people don't have to "take it or leave it".

In short: Choice is ALWAYS good.  Now what are we arguing about again? :lol: :shrug:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148: January 11, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
Nothing, I just like to :poke: and :stir: :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #149: January 17, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
How do you set your home page using safari?