Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 19522 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #75: November 22, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
I didn't mean you specifically, just joking about the occasionally tumultuous mood around here.

:stir:

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #76: November 22, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »
I've had the macbook loaner from work for almost 2 years now and I like it a lot.  I'm a hardware snob and it's very hard to find a notebook that isn't full of compromises.  Unless price is your foremost concern, it's hard to objectively deny that macbooks are some of the nicest notebooks out there.  I use my self-built desktop for heavy lifting anyway, so all I really require from a notebook is long battery life, a decent screen & touchpad, and that it not feel like a cheap piece of crap.

My company machine is a 3 year old 15" Macbook Pro and I'm up for replacement very early next year.  I've been a Macbook Pro user since around 2003.  They've asked me what I wanted and I asked for a 13" Macbook Air.  To me that's the ultimate Apple device, as light as an iPad, but with all the functionality of a laptop (and the open OS).  Plus, the solid state drive means it boots up instantly.  If I had one, I couldn't see needing/wanting an iPad.  But I would certainly take an iPad as an alternative to traveling with the current Macbook.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Air shows up on my doorstep in January or February. 

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #77: November 22, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
If you have a Netflix subscription, there is also a Netflix application.

thanks for the netflix suggestion - same price as Hulu but with a much better collection of titles.  As long as she can get Glee she'll be happy.  Thanks again!

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #78: November 23, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
thanks for the netflix suggestion - same price as Hulu but with a much better collection of titles.  As long as she can get Glee she'll be happy.  Thanks again!
Damn, I've been helping you a lot!  :lol:

Just a warning, Netflix doesn't have new shows like Hulu.  They can get them when they come out on DVD, but Hulu has most shows as they air, I think it may be a week behind when they first show on tv.

I think netflix still does a free trial so you can try it out if you want before paying.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #79: November 23, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
While I agree that the iPad is an unnecessary gadget, it's still pretty cool.

As for what it does better/differently compared to a NetBook or Laptop is that it's instant on. No bootup, no shuutdown, just one click and it's on.

As for apps, I second the Netflix app, and for music Pandora is good and so is Accuradio. As a browser, Atomic has some advantages over Safari. More tabs and it doesn't reload the page every time you switch tabs. And not that's it's all that good now, the MLB At Bat app was worth the $15.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #80: November 28, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
The iPod arrived, the wife loves it (so far).  I'm impressed, but I still want a MacBook Air. :)

The only real complaint is that skype absolutely sucks on it.  maybe someday they'll actually write a real iPad app.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #81: November 28, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
Did you buy an iPod or an iPad?

Online houston-nat

« Reply #82: November 28, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »
As much as I like the idea of a MacBook Air, the fact that my part-time job is classical CD critic means I need a computer that can play compact discs. That's how they come in the mail and I need a computer that can play 'em.

Also, $1000 for a laptop... gack!

Despite its awkwardness, and the fact that 3G costs so much per month, the iPad is more tempting to me.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #83: November 28, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
Did you buy an iPod or an iPad?

iPad - Doh!  Posted before first coffee.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #84: November 28, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
As much as I like the idea of a MacBook Air, the fact that my part-time job is classical CD critic means I need a computer that can play compact discs. That's how they come in the mail and I need a computer that can play 'em.

Also, $1000 for a laptop... gack!

Despite its awkwardness, and the fact that 3G costs so much per month, the iPad is more tempting to me.

I travel a lot for work, so I'm looking for something that is light but doesn't sacrifice productivity.  I can't imagine editing a 20 page document on an iPad, and I need something to run our apps for statistical analysis and project management, so I'd be much happier with an Air (I have a Macbook Pro now).

Apple does sell a USB CD/DVD drive for around $70 (burner and reader).  There is also a CD drive on Amazon for $13 though I'm not sure if it works with the Air:

http://www.amazon.com/External-MacBook-13-inch-17-inch-MA090LL/dp/B003D1F9YA

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: January 06, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
The new app store for mac is really going to change the way software is sold. I'm surprised no one has come up with it before

Offline The Chief

« Reply #86: January 06, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
The new app store for mac is really going to change the way software is sold. I'm surprised no one has come up with it before

Many distributions of Linux have been doing it for years.  And it's hardly a new concept even in the Mac-o-sphere, they just ported the idea from their phone.  Honestly I don't think it's going to catch on.  It worked on phones because there was little to no existing infrastructure for selling or distributing mobile software, but major computer software vendors aren't going to just bow down to Apple's whims.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: January 06, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
Many distributions of Linux have been doing it for years.  And it's hardly a new concept even in the Mac-o-sphere, they just ported the idea from their phone.  Honestly I don't think it's going to catch on.  It worked on phones because there was little to no existing infrastructure for selling or distributing mobile software, but major computer software vendors aren't going to just bow down to Apple's whims.

I do, it takes the time out of looking for software on the web and removes waiting for cds. I've downloaded a bunch of programs, but, unless I know they are recoverable if my comuter has to be reformatted, I am hesitant to not get a cd, the app store removes that. I wasn't going to bother updating iphoto because I didn't want to either go out and buy a cd or order it online and wait for one. Linux may do it, but with the market share not only of linux, but of the particular distributions that do it, I wonder how robust the offering were.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #88: January 06, 2011, 09:48:07 AM »

Screw apple. They jacked up the price for e-books, I'll continue to use opensource software whenever I can.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #89: January 06, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
I do, it takes the time out of looking for software on the web and removes waiting for cds. I've downloaded a bunch of programs, but, unless I know they are recoverable if my comuter has to be reformatted, I am hesitant to not get a cd, the app store removes that.

They definitely aren't pioneers at this.  Steam (a game store) has been doing this for over 5 years, and started offering Mac games as well about 8 months ago.

I wasn't going to bother updating iphoto because I didn't want to either go out and buy a cd or order it online and wait for one.

That's fine for Apple software, but you can bet that 3rd parties aren't going to be chomping at the bit to give Apple an extra cut of their profits just to prop up this new app store.  It may be a boon for indie devs, but that hardly means it's going to revolutionize anything.  Microsoft and Adobe are both absent at this time, so no Office or Photoshop.  I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but you get the point.

Besides, last I checked there is no easy way to re-download anything you buy on iTunes or the iOS app store, so why would the Mac app store be any different?  The previous example i used - Steam - is far superior in this regard.  I can download any of the games I've purchased any time, as many times as I want, on any computer anywhere.

Linux may do it, but with the market share not only of linux, but of the particular distributions that do it, I wonder how robust the offering were.

Their offerings are plenty robust for a Linux distro.  You'd probably find them lacking if you were expecting to download a bunch of AAA software with them though.  But the same is true of the Mac app store, so I'm not quite sure I see the relevance.  Big software companies prefer to control their own distribution.  You said no one has tried it before, I'm just point out that that's incorrect.   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #90: January 06, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »

Besides, last I checked there is no easy way to re-download anything you buy on iTunes or the iOS app store, so why would the Mac app store be any different?  The previous example i used - Steam - is far superior in this regard.  I can download any of the games I've purchased any time, as many times as I want, on any computer anywhere.

last time I had to reformat, I downloaded my music and tv shows from itunes in about 45 minutes

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #91: January 06, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
They definitely aren't pioneers at this.  Steam (a game store) has been doing this for over 5 years, and started offering Mac games as well about 8 months ago.

That's fine for Apple software, but you can bet that 3rd parties aren't going to be chomping at the bit to give Apple an extra cut of their profits just to prop up this new app store.  It may be a boon for indie devs, but that hardly means it's going to revolutionize anything.  Microsoft and Adobe are both absent at this time, so no Office or Photoshop.  I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but you get the point.

For expensive programs like office and photoshop I wouldn't expect much interest. For anything that sells for less than ~$20, I'd expect huge interest.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #92: January 06, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
last time I had to reformat, I downloaded my music and tv shows from itunes in about 45 minutes

Mind walking me through the process then?  I'm missing a few of my iTunes purchases and I'll be damned if I can find an easy way to download them again.

For expensive programs like office and photoshop I wouldn't expect much interest. For anything that sells for less than ~$20, I'd expect huge interest.

I see a lot of people getting suckered into wasting money on garbage spray-and-pray apps, yes.  Whether the average user actually finds anything of value is another matter.  IMO finding good apps among all the chaff on the iOS app store is no easier than just googling for them.  I wouldn't expect the Mac app store to be any different.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #93: January 06, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
Mind walking me through the process then?  I'm missing a few of my iTunes purchases and I'll be damned if I can find an easy way to download them again.

I see a lot of people getting suckered into wasting money on garbage spray-and-pray apps, yes.  Whether the average user actually finds anything of value is another matter.  IMO finding good apps among all the chaff on the iOS app store is no easier than just googling for them.  I wouldn't expect the Mac app store to be any different.

on the second, I agree, but I would class the app store as a success, especially for small developers. On the first, e-mail apple, they can reset you're account to let you re-download everything. In my case I was already on the phone with them when I decided to give up and just wipe the hard drive, so they took care of reseting the account.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #94: January 06, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
on the second, I agree, but I would class the app store as a success, especially for small developers.

Oh yes, the app store is a great success, there's no doubt of that.  The entire concept is a boon for small devs on both iOS and Android.  I just don't see it translating on the desktop.  Too many turf wars combined with too much junk will cause users to continue to seek software from other sources as well.

On the first, e-mail apple, they can reset you're account to let you re-download everything. In my case I was already on the phone with them when I decided to give up and just wipe the hard drive, so they took care of reseting the account.

Ah okay.  It's just a handful of songs, I don't care *that* much.  Was hoping for something a bit more elegant.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #95: January 06, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
iPhone 3GS price slashed to $49 with contract starting tomorrow.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• In the market for lavish mansions 'n NBA expansion
« Reply #96: January 06, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
iPhone 3GS price slashed to $49 with contract starting tomorrow.

Wow, I might have to get one.

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #97: January 06, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
The App Store is great on iOS.  But I don't know how it will work on a computer, with more expensive apps.

As it is, installing most Mac apps is easy as hell anyway.  Download the disk image, mount, drag the app to the Applications folder, eject disk image.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• In the market for lavish mansions 'n NBA expansion
« Reply #98: January 06, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
The App Store is great on iOS.  But I don't know how it will work on a computer, with more expensive apps.

As it is, installing most Mac apps is easy as hell anyway.  Download the disk image, mount, drag the app to the Applications folder, eject disk image.

Yup, one of the main reasons I switched over to Mac six years ago.  Now, if I could only get my job to buy me a MacPro instead of these Dell boxes I'd be good to go.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #99: January 06, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »
Seems to me that people come up with the weakest excuses for buying Macs.  Easier to install software?  Come on.  I bet the number of clicks is comparable.  It's just download/mount/drag/drop/finish vs download/run/next/next/finish.

IMO, you already wanted to buy a Mac for aesthetic reasons and felt you needed a better excuse ;) (kidding, mostly :P)

"Macs don't get viruses" is actually a much better reason, and even though the logic behind it is fallacious, the end result is more or less true to the myth, at least for now.  As my friend puts it - when someone asks me for a computer recommendation for their parents, I tell them to get a Mac.