Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2010)  (Read 37494 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #75: November 22, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
I didn't mean you specifically, just joking about the occasionally tumultuous mood around here.

:stir:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #76: November 22, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »
I've had the macbook loaner from work for almost 2 years now and I like it a lot.  I'm a hardware snob and it's very hard to find a notebook that isn't full of compromises.  Unless price is your foremost concern, it's hard to objectively deny that macbooks are some of the nicest notebooks out there.  I use my self-built desktop for heavy lifting anyway, so all I really require from a notebook is long battery life, a decent screen & touchpad, and that it not feel like a cheap piece of crap.

My company machine is a 3 year old 15" Macbook Pro and I'm up for replacement very early next year.  I've been a Macbook Pro user since around 2003.  They've asked me what I wanted and I asked for a 13" Macbook Air.  To me that's the ultimate Apple device, as light as an iPad, but with all the functionality of a laptop (and the open OS).  Plus, the solid state drive means it boots up instantly.  If I had one, I couldn't see needing/wanting an iPad.  But I would certainly take an iPad as an alternative to traveling with the current Macbook.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Air shows up on my doorstep in January or February. 

Offline imref

« Reply #77: November 22, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
If you have a Netflix subscription, there is also a Netflix application.

thanks for the netflix suggestion - same price as Hulu but with a much better collection of titles.  As long as she can get Glee she'll be happy.  Thanks again!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #78: November 23, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
thanks for the netflix suggestion - same price as Hulu but with a much better collection of titles.  As long as she can get Glee she'll be happy.  Thanks again!
Damn, I've been helping you a lot!  :lol:

Just a warning, Netflix doesn't have new shows like Hulu.  They can get them when they come out on DVD, but Hulu has most shows as they air, I think it may be a week behind when they first show on tv.

I think netflix still does a free trial so you can try it out if you want before paying.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #79: November 23, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
While I agree that the iPad is an unnecessary gadget, it's still pretty cool.

As for what it does better/differently compared to a NetBook or Laptop is that it's instant on. No bootup, no shuutdown, just one click and it's on.

As for apps, I second the Netflix app, and for music Pandora is good and so is Accuradio. As a browser, Atomic has some advantages over Safari. More tabs and it doesn't reload the page every time you switch tabs. And not that's it's all that good now, the MLB At Bat app was worth the $15.

Offline imref

« Reply #80: November 28, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
The iPod arrived, the wife loves it (so far).  I'm impressed, but I still want a MacBook Air. :)

The only real complaint is that skype absolutely sucks on it.  maybe someday they'll actually write a real iPad app.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #81: November 28, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
Did you buy an iPod or an iPad?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #82: November 28, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »
As much as I like the idea of a MacBook Air, the fact that my part-time job is classical CD critic means I need a computer that can play compact discs. That's how they come in the mail and I need a computer that can play 'em.

Also, $1000 for a laptop... gack!

Despite its awkwardness, and the fact that 3G costs so much per month, the iPad is more tempting to me.

Offline imref

« Reply #83: November 28, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
Did you buy an iPod or an iPad?

iPad - Doh!  Posted before first coffee.

Offline imref

« Reply #84: November 28, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
As much as I like the idea of a MacBook Air, the fact that my part-time job is classical CD critic means I need a computer that can play compact discs. That's how they come in the mail and I need a computer that can play 'em.

Also, $1000 for a laptop... gack!

Despite its awkwardness, and the fact that 3G costs so much per month, the iPad is more tempting to me.

I travel a lot for work, so I'm looking for something that is light but doesn't sacrifice productivity.  I can't imagine editing a 20 page document on an iPad, and I need something to run our apps for statistical analysis and project management, so I'd be much happier with an Air (I have a Macbook Pro now).

Apple does sell a USB CD/DVD drive for around $70 (burner and reader).  There is also a CD drive on Amazon for $13 though I'm not sure if it works with the Air:

http://www.amazon.com/External-MacBook-13-inch-17-inch-MA090LL/dp/B003D1F9YA